Whats the deal with full chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlrookie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It is all I run, typically cutting standing dead larch, sometimes a little less than dead standing. I then drag the trees to the road and buck into 16" firewood, not exactly clean wood. I keep hearing about how difficult it is to maintain, not trying to ruffle feathers but I just don't seem to have trouble. I certainly am not a pro at sharpening but I can get the chain to where I don't want to touch it, it'll cut you good. As long as I stay out of the dirt I usually cut about a cord before I touch up the chain and that is usually just because I feel its time. I am just curious what it is that supposedly makes it more difficult to sharpen than semi-chisel?

I haven't had a problem sharpening them and there is about 10 loops in the garage and a 1/2 spool in the barn

It is all I run, typically cutting standing dead larch, sometimes a little less than dead standing. I then drag the trees to the road and buck into 16" firewood, not exactly clean wood. I keep hearing about how difficult it is to maintain, not trying to ruffle feathers but I just don't seem to have trouble. I certainly am not a pro at sharpening but I can get the chain to where I don't want to touch it, it'll cut you good. As long as I stay out of the dirt I usually cut about a cord before I touch up the chain and that is usually just because I feel its time. I am just curious what it is that supposedly makes it more difficult to sharpen than semi-chisel?

More teeth you have to go over....that's about all I know about it:hmm3grin2orange:

More teeth you have to go over....that's about all I know about it:hmm3grin2orange:

How do you figure it has more teeth? Chisel or semi-chisel is just the shape of the cutter, we're not talking skip or half-skip chain here.

Have you ever seen a square filed chisel chain? There's quite a bit of difference between it and round filed chisel.

I only round file mine, I have not seen a square filed chain yet.

For some reason I have it in my mind that some folks recommend semi-chisel because it is easier to maintain. Maybe I am mistaking that for it being slightly more forgiving in dirty wood and thusly lasts a little longer between sharps.

Semi-chisel stays sharp in dirty wood much longer than chisel chain. It cuts slower when equally sharp but not by a great deal. I find chisel easier to sharpen than semi-chisel I think because I can see the angle better. If chisel works well for you then that is what matters. Good cutting!

I'm with you there. To me, the sqare corner should be easier to file consistent than the rounded semi chisel. I can usually touch up a chain quick but filing the depth gauges can really slow you down. Semi chisel requires less frequent sharpening so that means less depth gauge filing. The problem is, semi chisel is almost non existant in my neck of the woods. And even internet sources don't have the selction as with round chisel.

Have you tried semi chisel?

Nothing wrong with chisel, but I like semi much better.

The corner of the cutter dulls faster on full-chisel (sharp corner) versus semi-chisel (rounded corner).

I runs the full chisel, take my time and touch up my chains with pretty good results. Square is easier to sharpen for me as well.

Seems like full chisel is more popular around here in the Northeast. I see a ratio of 10 full chisel chains to 1 semi chisel.
Usually when I first look at a semi cutter it catches me off guard, I think its an extremely buggered up full chisel.:msp_huh:

I might be dumber than most of you, I am not even sure what my chains are... :msp_ohmy:

It really does not matter. Any sharp chain will cut wood... :msp_mellow:

I can hit them with a file, look at the angle and make them sharp... give them a stroke, look and adjust, works for me... But always lookin for a better way :msp_thumbsup:

1 cord of wood per touch -up is pretty frequent sharpening IMO. I know some guys will touch-up after each tank. I think since you are paying attention and sharpening that often you are not having any problems.

Try some still RM yellow chain, cuts and cuts, prolly get 5 cord per filing.

Latest posts

Back