What's the lightest saw in the 40cc class?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwegian Wood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 242 is getting a bit worn and I want a new light saw with 13" bar. Just a saw to have in my car and be handy for small wood. I trust your judgement over the official weights of saws the companies comes up with.

J-red
Husky
Stihl
Dolmar
???

Regards John

If you're in the market for another Husky, the 435 is a nice little saw. I just put the first half dozen tanks through mine, last weekend. I'm very impressed with this little saw's motor, and the it's features (quick clip air box cover).

It seems to me that at the 40cc class most saws, well newer saws, are all about the same weight. Comparing a new 40cc to one that is 25 years old and I could see some weight differences there, but I think that with a small saw and one that you are going to use a large portion of the time, balance is the key, not so much weight. Like everyone has said before, try them all out and pick what best fits you. You may find that some of the saws out there don't feel quite right with a small bar like what you want to run, rear heavy. Good luck on your search. Josh.

The husky 435 and Stihl 211 are getting great reviews here, I'd almost have to go with one of those. I got a 211 and love it.:chainsaw:

Echo. Yes I said it! CS-370 or CS400. You must tweak the carb first though. Not many people like "em" on here but Echo is a solid runner when tuned right and the price is right. Happy hunting!

I got a 211 and love it.:chainsaw:

Probably spendy for just a saw to toss in the car, but if "lightest" is THE factor, I think the 200 still wins by a pound or two. However, that is just data; I've never tried a 211.

How about one of these for less than half of a 435. Muffler mod it like people have done here, gets pretty darn good reviews for $109 shipped.

http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrry10532.html

Gets good reviews because a saw builder hopped one up. Not because they have been worked under daily working conditions. I'm sure that for $109 dollars you get $109 dollars worth. I have a buddy that thinks craftsmen is still craftsmen but I won't have one. Pretty much the same reason why my FIL the contactor uses milwaukee and not ryobi, more than just price. No offense i'm just not buying into this ryobi crap.

If you look at the reviews in the link I posted, almost everyone loves the saw. I am sure most of those people have never heard of this site or ever even heard of a modded saw.

Everyone's situation is different.If you are able to pay retail for a Husky or Stihl and then charge it off as a business expense,good for them.If,on the other hand,you're just an average homeowner and the purchase price is coming out of your pocket with no right-offs or depreciation that's another story.You need a saw that will get the job done at the best possible price.The best value,at this time,is the Ryobi.

Everyone's situation is different.If you are able to pay retail for a Husky or Stihl and then charge it off as a business expense,good for them.If,on the other hand,you're just an average homeowner and the purchase price is coming out of your pocket with no right-offs or depreciation that's another story.You need a saw that will get the job done at the best possible price.The best value,at this time,is the Ryobi.

The ryobi sold or sells for around $180 unless you get refurbished as the ms 180 can be gotten for under $200. Sorry but i'll take dealer support and a company that doesn't make screw guns any day.

Gets good reviews because a saw builder hopped one up. Not because they have been worked under daily working conditions. I'm sure that for $109 dollars you get $109 dollars worth. I have a buddy that thinks craftsmen is still craftsmen but I won't have one. Pretty much the same reason why my FIL the contactor uses milwaukee and not ryobi, more than just price. No offense i'm just not buying into this ryobi crap.

Very well said!:clap: A +1000 on that last part.

That is like buying a cheap pos crapsman to "get you by". It might get you by for a few tanks and take a dump after that, you then have $150 in a pile of crap and need another. Back to wally world or blowes to spend another $150 when you could have bought a better made, realiable saw and have support after the sale. Not every saw in blowes is crap but I'm speaking of the crap models. Buy right the first time, that is what new members join for everyday, to seek our help and not get a pos.

I hate throw-away crap saws as much as anyone else here, but it seems that this one is built better than the low end stihl and husky once you fix a few small things

I hate throw-away crap saws as much as anyone else here, but it seems that this one is built better than the low end stihl and husky once you fix a few small things

Who wants to buy a new saw and "fix a few things" before you can use it???
That just makes NO sense!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

Once you fix a few small things? LOL:dizzy:

I've seen the home owner Stihls take some terrible beatings, just because they have a clam shell design doesn't exclude them from holding up. My local Asplundh guys just got MS210s a few months ago as their "small saw". You should see how those guys use them boogers. Asplundh cut costs instead of going with the 260s, as they have for years. Do you think they looked at a "roybi" to hand their crews? I mean it's $150 cheaper right???

Are you sure? Taking a few minutes to fix two or three small items would be worth it to me to save $100 and have a good little saw.

Sometimes its good to think outside the box guys.

You can get one from the company that makes crappy overpriced rototillers to. Or you also can get one of the refurb 435's, but if its gonna be a truck saw go with the Ryobi. I got one in my truck, its taken a pretty good beaten already. All I did to mine was put a new chain on it.

And if it gets stolen, its only $109 dollars away!

Latest posts

Back