Whats the real truth.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxeye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A few years back I needed a chain saw and was pointed to a fellow that worked with me and told that he sold chain saws cheap. Well last thing I wanted was a saw that was "cheap" but sure would like an inexpensive saw that was not cheap. I asked him what kind of saws he sold and he replied Husky and John Deere. I said forget the Deers but what about a Husky? He stated he could not guarantee what models he could still get but he would see. He brought in a 55, 61, 272XP and 372XP.....All in the box brand new along with all the warranty paperwork etc........The prices were $150 for the 55, $175 for the 61, $200 for the 272XP and $250 for the 372. I bought the 372 and also the 272 and told him to hold the 55 for me for a week and I would take that too. Then he said that if any warranty work needed to be done to let him know, and he would handle it, and not to send in the waranty paperwork to Husky, as these saws were mainly out the back door sales, no tax etc etc and steeply discounted.......

It was not until I got the saws home and into use that I noticed that the tags with the serial numbers on them were missing, so there was no possible way to register the saws anyhow............I did buy that 55 later on, and this fella sold a heap more saws later on over the years. I find it rather impossible that they would have been stolen, as he sold just too many of them, and if some frieind of his was taking inventopry out the back door to sell and steal there was far too many saws sold over time that the business would have noticed for usre its inventory getting low. So why were these saws sold like this.........I sitll think why so cheap. I can see in a way some of the saws (272XP) was then obsolete so perhaps it was easy to disocount it, but the 372 is still made.........was the dealer possibly behind this and just trying to push Husky saws, or was it a JD dealer told to dump "other" company products or loose the JD dealership? I just do not think they were what I would say were stolen items........so what could have been the reasoning for such low prices behind them.

Naaa, no serial number, a warning not to take it to a dealer, sold dirt cheap by "some guy" at work........... no way they could be stolen. :monkey:

. :buttkick:
:laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

heheheheheheeee

I'll take one of each please, lmfao... That is the funniest thing I've ever read... A buddy of mine is in the middle of a court battle right now, been arrested for harboring stolen goods. A dude sold him a carbon fiber hood for $200 for his eclipse, seemed reasonable enough that the other dude was not using it. But he's in a ruckous now because of it... And his criminal record has a blemish on it... Nobody needs that... For buying saws, you can pretty much tell that if someone is selling BRAND new saws for less than 1/2 of retail, they have to be hot dude... Think you can hook me up with a 372XP?? I'd like one of those man, lmao... heheheheheheheheh

:cheers: eh?

Not sure about the saws in question, but Pro stihl's have a second serial number hidden inside the crankcase...

I dunno, I still have 2nd thoughts and also 3rd and 4th on the merits of these saws. He has sold a heap of saws and I would just have to think that if that amount of saws were indeed stolen, there would have nbeen mention of it in the papers or on the news........I do know that a lot of JD dealers here at one time were given the choice its all JD or loose JD totally...........

Out of allthose saws all I have left is a 272, but I sure am not going to break it all apart to check it out for a hidden serial, but I sure would love to know if there is a number inside somewhere.

Was / is there by chance a number that was also printed on the box? I seem to remember writing down a serial number or two from a box that had a saw in it, but I can not swear it was the Huskys in question or not. Did Husky ever also put the serials of the saw that was in the box on the outside of the box as well?

Sorry Space mule, its mot a troll post at all. Its fact. I was told they were clspoing out the saws and some were discontinued models and they also had to get rid of them due to restraints put on dealers selling other company products other than John Deere items or items that JD also made.

I also remember very well walking into a John Deere dealer and seeing a wall full of orange equipment, and maybe a few months later walking in that same dealer and no orange equipment was to be found nor even parts for what they sold. And if memory serves me correct the prices onthe numerous JD saws he sold were much higher than what the Husky saws were sold for on a model to model comparison, with the so called reason being that they could only be discounted so much as they were a current in stock item...???:dizzy:

You're trying to ease your conscience. They were stolen/black market goods. That's a fact. Quit playing the fool.

The serial numberis on the box also. It seems a little fishy that the serial number plates are missing though. why would anybody remove the plates if they were lagit.

Last edited:
Why didn't you hear about the theft? It was probably 7 states away from you. These guys don't usually sell this stuff two miles down the road from where they stole it. Didn't you ever watch "The Dukes Of Hazzard". Boss Hogg either brought in stolen stuff to sell, or was stealing stuff and shipping it out to sell elsewhere.

Why didn't you hear about the theft? It was probably 7 states away from you. These guys don't usually sell this stuff two miles down the road from where they stole it. Didn't you ever watch "The Dukes Of Hazzard". Boss Hogg either brought in stolen stuff to sell, or was stealing stuff and shipping it out to sell elsewhere.
sounds right to me

As noted by many others there is little to no doubt the saws were stolen. How long ago was this? I would think if there were a large enough number stolen the distributer in that area would notify other distributers so they could then notify dealers to be on the lookout for them. If there is signifigant amount of saws stolen in one area common sense is they will be marketed a great distance away and other dealers would be notified. I do not care how much the guy told customers not to take it to a dealer some of them did. That is unless he flat out told them it was stolen.

I think you have some saws with "heated handles"

Bill

Hey Foxeye...I'd say that right now, if you have any of these saws, that you're in possession of stolen goods. The dollar value of the saws, the real value, not what you paid for them, makes this a felony.

Does the word felony impress you at all? Think handcuffs, court time, lawyers, jail time, and a record that follows you forever. You can rationalize all you want but you're putting yourself in harm's way.

You're obviously not a stupid man...but you've made a stupid choice. And it'll hurt you.

Foxeye:

I think need to make a choice about your purchase.

1) If you can find the serial numbers on the boxes or a second set on the saw.....take those serial numbers to a dealer and find out if they can find out if the saws are stolen, discontinued, dealer closeouts, etc. (My opinion is that they are stolen as the dealer/manufacturer would not wipe out serial numbers for any legitimate reason). If you find out they are stolen do what it takes to cooperate with the proper authorities and get yourself out of this mess.

2) Stop telling anyone about these saws and the mysteries that surround them, and hope that if they are stolen that you don't get caught up in the dishonest practices that got them to you so cheaply. Don't take them in for service to any dealer, use them up and if you can't buy parts and fix them dispose of them properly when they are gone......and buy "honest saws with a pedigree" from now on.

I don't know what effect "a few years back" has on these saws....or if the fellow you bought them from is even around anymore......but I certainly wouldn't do any business with him again.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that these saws are stolen, probably just borrowed for an unspecified time frame.:givebeer:

Last edited:
Foxeye:

I think need to make a choice about your purchase.

1) If you can find the serial numbers on the boxes or a second set on the saw.....take those serial numbers to a dealer and find out if they can find out if the saws are stolen, discontinued, dealer closeouts, etc. (My opinion is that they are stolen as the dealer/manufacturer would not wipe out serial numbers for any legitimate reason). If you find out they are stolen do what it takes to cooperate with the proper authorities and get yourself out of this mess.

2) Stop telling anyone about these saws and the mysteries that surround them, and hope that if they are stolen that you don't get caught up in the dishonest practices that got them to you so cheaply. Don't take them in for service to any dealer, use them up and if you can't buy parts and fix them dispose of them properly when they are gone......and buy "honest saws with a pedigree" from now on.

I don't know what effect "a few years back" has on these saws....or if the fellow you bought them from is even around anymore......but I certainly wouldn't do any business with him again.

Ummmm, I think option number two is kinda off the table now....... this is a public forum ya know. :laugh:

Back