whats up with my saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckyblue

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
my poulin 220 wont run it will start and run for a sec then it stops i put a new plug in it and just got some gas i was cutting with it just a few min ago then had to go get gas it ran a good 15-20 min not good but running non the less anyone got a clue.....? and plese dont say something smart ass like its a poulin

Gotta have a few more clues, does it sound like it is flooding, is the plug wet, or oily wet liquid running out of the muffler, when it shuts off? Does it rev up first then shut off like it is running out of gas?
Does it start right back up when it shuts off. Has the carb been rebuilt or cleaned recently?
Pioneerguy600

my poulin 220 wont run it will start and run for a sec then it stops i put a new plug in it and just got some gas i was cutting with it just a few min ago then had to go get gas it ran a good 15-20 min not good but running non the less anyone got a clue.....? and plese dont say something smart ass like its a poulin

kb, the first time I ran my PP220 hard it started to get hot so I stopped and took the muffler off to modify it. I've also had a RCJ7Y spark plug on it to go bad. If you have a ohmmeter check the resistor in the spark plug.

the carb was on tight but where the carb bolts to the head was loose so i tightend that up now it runs wide open the adjust screw is all the way in and it still runs wide open the trigger isnt stuck it has full range but the damn thing is running wide open:dizzy:

poulan blues

hi , sounds as though you have a fairly large air leak on the intake side ,also check cylinder is clamped tight , might help , good luck .

the carb was on tight but where the carb bolts to the head was loose so i tightend that up now it runs wide open the adjust screw is all the way in and it still runs wide open the trigger isnt stuck it has full range but the damn thing is running wide open:dizzy:

Which adjust screw is all the way in ?

idle adjustment screw

I have a PP 260, the further you turn the idle screw clockwise the
faster it will idle.
Also, after working on carburetor, I have had trouble with the throttle
cable binding & not letting carb return fully to idle; check routing of cable.
Make sure the throttle cam rests on the beveled part of idle adjust screw.

Try backing out idle screw counterclockwise

If it is all the way in, the saw will run faster.

No, no RTV ever on a carb or anywhere near fuel lines, unless you want a really clogged up carb.

When was the last time this saw ran right?

If you bought it used, has it ever run right?

another place to check for air leaks

If a PP220 is built anything like a PP260, there are four screws that
hold engine together on bottom of saw. I have heard of these loosening
up.

No, no RTV ever on a carb or anywhere near fuel lines, unless you want a really clogged up carb.

When was the last time this saw ran right?

If you bought it used, has it ever run right?

it ran good 2 weeks ago then the roller on the end of the bar burnt up and i put it up then the chain break broke off i bought a new bar and put on it and when i started it it ran like crap like it had water in the gas,thats when i found the lose carb mount and its ran like crap since

it ran good 2 weeks ago then the roller on the end of the bar burnt up and i put it up then the chain break broke off i bought a new bar and put on it and when i started it it ran like crap like it had water in the gas,thats when i found the lose carb mount and its ran like crap since

The chain oil and bar problems are not related..

The loose carb mount allows un-metered air into the engine, and is the cause of the high rpm. Get a new gasket, base or collar, that will hold the carb on air tight.

Back off the throttle plate screw so the buttery fly is closed.

With great care to stop when the mix screws stop turn them both in till they just stop, turn no more in... These screws and their seats in the carb are delicate.

Turn each one out 1 full turn. This won't be right, but should be in the ball park to run.

Try to start the saw. Try to determine if there is enough fuel for the saw to idle. With the "L" screw. turn it OUT more for more fuel to a best idle.

If this doesn't work turn the throttle plate screw IN 1/2 turn to open the throttle plate a smidgen. With a sliver of note book paper apx 1/4 wide trimmed neatly use it as a feeler gauge between the throttle plate and carb body, to be sure the throttle plate is slightly cracked open.

Try to start the saw again. If it runs and idles adjust the "L" mix screw again for best idle rpm. When you have best rpm turn the "L" mix screw out a little more, but not so much as will flood the mix. You don't want to hear a change in rmp to lower than best rpm.

You need that bit extra fuel to get higher rpm range from a stopped chain.

Then go to the wood pile with the screw driver for the high speed screw.

See if the saw revs up just as you would begin to cut fire wood. With the saw cutting get best high speed rpm, and again go OUT with the "H" speed screw to as high a rpm as you can get set to the rich side.

Note the best RPM cutting will be overly lean, and will burn the piston. You need to be slighty rich cutting.

I hope this makes sence to you.

I used to be a foreign car tech, and so while I don't know this specific saw engine, it is like a great deal of other saw engines. If i could get my greasey mitts on this saw I could fix it in several hours for anything wrong with it, so long as parts were forth coming.

The ATV sealer used to wreck for ever any carbs they were applied to. Today there may be some ATV sealer made for fuel, but if there is I am not aware.

What ATV did was break down pretty fast and go into a jelled solution, which clogged internal passaways, and so bad no amount of soaking in real carb cleaner, and or blowing air thru these passages would get rid of the clog.

IMO to this day ATV is the very best way to trash a carb, and I don't care if it is down draft, side draft or up draft types.

The saw type flutter fuel pump gaskets just go on clean, and with all clean and dry parts and work just fine that way.

Any time air gets to the combustion chamber not passing in a metered way thru the carb, it is called a vacuum leak. This will have different effects, depending on where and what is wrong.

Classic vac leaks cause High RPM, Hunting RPM, where the engine will cycle high in RPM and then starve for fuel and drop to near stall and then go right back to high idle.

Saws are prone to leaks of air at the carb to engine base, what ever type it happens to be on make and modle, the crankcase seals, due to a 2 stroke needs air tight crank seals to run right. or other case related leaks, when the engine case is a split case, or the jug is loose.

Vac leaks in a 2 stroke will kill the engine dead pretty fast, so it is wise to discover these with WD-40, Propane, pressue testing the saw, or what ever methods most please a tech.

My prefered method is WD-40, but as of late I wonder if the WD-40 chemicals and compound have changed to a no burn set of chemicals.

Recently WD-40 won't seem to act as a fuel, which I find disturbing, since this was a main tool for me to discover vac leaks.

I am hopping the built in cans with a red wand are different in compounds over the old fashioned cans. If all WD-40 has changed, then my next best method is propane. I can't see where propane is, which I could with the wd...

mac sounds good to me and i will try that first thing in the mornin,didnt have time to jack with it today had to build a rabbit cage , but thanks for all the advice guys ........god bless:cheers:

mac sounds good to me and i will try that first thing in the mornin,didnt have time to jack with it today had to build a rabbit cage , but thanks for all the advice guys ........god bless:cheers:

I hunted your thread down and found it on page 3.. Threads tend to move fast around here. If you let me know, maybe I can be of some help. Can't tell from heya'

I hunted your thread down and found it on page 3.. Threads tend to move fast around here. If you let me know, maybe I can be of some help. Can't tell from heya'

ok mac had to order the gaskets so they will be here this coming week some time but i will keep you posted on what happens ,wife is getting me a brand new stil for my birthday but will still fix the ol,poulin for a limb saw :cheers:

Back