What's up with Stihl:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Scottr.

Well, never thought about it. But I suppose I could send them to Mike and see what he thinks. I hope to get the decals for them first. The Disston and PM Rocket, don't look promising as far as decal go, unless someone has made them before or has a private stash. But at lest they're all painted and looking pretty good for the most part. I'd like to complete them with decals if I can get them or make them, before I send copies to MIke's site. I downloaded a jpeg optimiser program which compresses jpeg photo file and resizes photos real fast. It great to use to resize pics of decals to print out on a printer. Check out: www.xat.com for the program. Free download. I drew or copied letters of a Homelite decal and resized it. Here's a pic of the original and the one I made. I tried to use the paint program to redue the original photo, but with my eyes it was to hard and took way too much time. I found it easier to do a large sketch and recuce it to size. OK, I'll keep Mike in mind. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
I really see no reason for this, ive gotton some s-10 parts that came from other dist. warehouses. as for the 031 parts, all you can do is hope, alot of parts for them are being discontinued.
does husky still make parts for 30-40 year old saws?

Hello JimL.

Hello. My point is that Stihl USA has confirmed the part exist. They are in stock at Intermountain Sthil. My dealer contacted Northeast Stihl and they will not deal with or can't get the parts from Intermountain Stihl. I have been emailed a list of dealers in Colorado and was told to try and see if they will send me the part. That is not looked favorably upon by Stihl either. Doesn't matter if it's a hose for a handle or a top end kit or crank or what have you. Doesn't mater if the saw is still made, obsolete, or being faded out, or wheather I'm a prosaw user or arborist, a collector or Johnny homeowner. The part is available, I placed an order, so what's the problem. Make you wonder, or it make me wonder, if I were to buy a Stihl, wheather I could get parts after it's off warrenty. Make a saw, warrenty it and faze it out of production so that you have to buy new. Sounds like the Mismanagement and corperate greed that was spoken of that causes a lot of companies to go under. As far as I'm concerned there's a void that can be filled if other companies can get their act together and fill it. Like Husky, Makita, Dolmar and others. Hopefully they will. Acts like Shihl is milking the market for all it's worth before some changes happen (loose market space and go under). I've searched for parts for old saws on the net. Took some time to find, but no problem to get. These are available, so what's the stink? It's not customer service. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
glens said:
This current situation does not represent what a pro logger or arborist would encounter.  This is about obsolete parts and the (typical) pro doesn't rely on such non-current equipment, right?

Most times I need some trivial little something ordered (for nothing older than an 044) my local dealer has it in the next day for me, even when I tell him "no hurry".

I actually prefer the way Stihl takes care of their local dealers with their no-mail-order policy.

Glen

How do you figure that??? A part is a part.........right???

It doesn't matter how old the part is. It should be available to anyone, anywhere!!!

It isn't like Stihl is being asked to make the part as a one-off!

Nice job on the saws,Lewis.I ,for one,know the amount of hours it takes for a full restoration .

I'm saving the repainting for later when I feel more into it and can be able to put the saw on the shelf for display instead of using it all the time.
old paint comes off very easily with a razorblade and some effort, just gotta be careful with the fresh paint.

rahtreelimbs said:
glens said:
This current situation does not represent what a pro logger or arborist would encounter.  This is about obsolete parts and the (typical) pro doesn't rely on such non-current equipment, right?

Most times I need some trivial little something ordered (for nothing older than an 044) my local dealer has it in the next day for me, even when I tell him "no hurry".

I actually prefer the way Stihl takes care of their local dealers with their no-mail-order policy.

Glen
How do you figure that??? A part is a part.........right???

It doesn't matter how old the part is. It should be available to anyone, anywhere!!!

It isn't like Stihl is being asked to make the part as a one-off!
From what I understand, this is a part that just so happens to be still in existence within the system of one of the distributors.  If it were a part that was still generally available, any distributor would be able to get it from the factory.  Evidently that is no longer the case with this one.  What's so hard to see about that?

One distributor has purchased the part and has been sitting on it for some time, maybe paying a yearly tax on it (as businesses do with inventory here in Indiana) but at least paying <i>something</i> for storing/handling it.&nbsp; Should one independent company be expected to just send something like that out to another independent company just because they have a common source?&nbsp; That's not only not good business, but it's unreasonable to ask it, much less expect or demand it.

Glen

I do expect it, and in fact I think demanding it is in order.

If the manufacturer makes a product, the consumer should not have to be in the middle of sandbox wars with petty fifedom "independent" companies.

Funny, it seems Stihl (who make fine saws by the way) is the only player in the field with this mentality...

Well,it just seems odd to me,that Stihl ,could in fact,track this part to a dealers stock,only to say,in so many words,you can't have it.Maybe you could drive halfway across country to get though.I would think that as a company,they would be rather pleased to see some of their products restored to like new condition,just for a pr type thing.Shows,perhaps,a longevity thing.John Deere,for example,sponsors and backs the expo,if I'm not mistaken.I think it does a lot for company image,situations like this ,do not.Then again,that is apples to oranges,or rather tractors to chainsaws.I shouldn't use JD as an example.Look what they did to Homelite.

What is the distributor that has this again? I GUARANTEE that with a well worded phone call any one of us could call a dealer in that zone and get them to 'bend the rules' enough to send us this part. It is not like we'd be asking them to sell us a whole saw or a part that we could get from our own dealer. I agree with Glen on a lot of his points on this issue. This is NOT the kind of thing that a pro user would EVER run into. A full time pro user would not be using a 40 year old saw. How mad would any of be if Stihl had just told Lewis that there were no more of these handles in existance?

sedanman said:
This is NOT the kind of thing that a pro user would EVER run into. A full time pro user would not be using a 40 year old saw. How mad would any of be if Stihl had just told Lewis that there were no more of these handles in existance?

This is true.

Then why say you have the part, for sale, if there is no intention of selling.
If I understand thís correct the manufactures do sell parts.
There is a amount of parts made for each model, for service.
The dealer in this case probably was confident that there was no parts, and did not check at all, but the source Lewis have could send the part to a dealer, branded with Lewis Brander on the tag. This would be a option.

You guys need to get a grip. Asking for these parts is like going to the Ford dealer and asking for a new head for a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura. Look at the age of the saw. Give me a break. No wonder they look at you guys funny.

Stihl utilizes a 3 step distribution model in the US. 1. Stihl 2. Regional Distributor 3. Local Independent Dealer.

Historically, the regional distributors have been independently owned and operated. In recent years they have been changing this model. They have been consolidating the regional distributors and buying them out so they are Stihl owned.

I have worked with the 3 step distribution model and can assure you that there is often considerable friction between these independent distributors for a variety of reasons (selling out of territory, inconsistent pricing, setting up competing dealerships in close proximity, etc)

I am fairly certain that in this case you have Stihl Northwest (an independent distributor) and Intermountain Stihl (a factory owned distributor) not appearing to play nice with each other. Not surprising, as they are independent businesses.

As someone posted previously, I believe that you could find a dealer in the Intermountain Stihl territory ( Colorado, North Dakota, S. Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah) to sell and ship you the part.

Lewis-
Please don't take this personally, but there is always the possibility that these two distributorships do exchange parts, but someone deemed this inconsequential part not worth the time and trouble to ship from Intermountain to Northwest to Dealer?

Stihl Parts:

sedanman said:
What is the distributor that has this again? I GUARANTEE that with a well worded phone call any one of us could call a dealer in that zone and get them to 'bend the rules' enough to send us this part. It is not like we'd be asking them to sell us a whole saw or a part that we could get from our own dealer. I agree with Glen on a lot of his points on this issue. This is NOT the kind of thing that a pro user would EVER run into. A full time pro user would not be using a 40 year old saw. How mad would any of be if Stihl had just told Lewis that there were no more of these handles in existance?

Hi Paul. I've contacted Shihl USA and emailed them with questions about parts availability, obtaining operator's manuels/IPL's, etc. All of my emails were promptly ansured. They copied the operator's Manuel/IPL and sent it to me, NO Charge and I thank them for that. I asked if they had manuels, etc in PDF format to download and was told that they were in the process of converting them so that they could be downloaded from their site. Seems like a good thing. I contacted them for the part availability using the part numbers from the IPL. They resopnded said that the parts were sstill available (in inventory) and even ssent me the updated part numbers. Fine, great. I place an order (following protocal), the parts were ordered. My dealer says that the parts are all available, exept the handle cover, from Northeast Stihl. I email Shihl USA and find that the part (2 of the covers) is in stock from the Intermountain Shihl distributer. I call my dealer and ask (as per Shihl USA) if Norteastern Stihl can Contact Intermountain Stinl and have the part shipped to them. I'm told that there is a jurisdictional (Territorial) thing and they don't deal with each other. Now I contact Shihl USA and they explain the Territorial thing and company polocy. They (Shihl USA) suggest I contact a dealer in Colorado and try to get the parts through them and that they can email me a list of dealers around the Denver area. I request a list and get it, of the Denver dealers. Some have email address, so I have emailed them and explain that I'm not trying to go against company polocy, but would like to get the part if possible. So far, one email has been undeliverable and one was just returned to me with no message. What's the big deal. If I was sitting on a part (large or small) and paying Shihl money to stock said item, I thing that I would want to unload it. Unless the part was so valuable and rare that they wanted to keep it for some reason. On one hand they seem to want to work with you and on the other, they're cutting their nose off despite their face. I've contacted ( here we go AL.) John Deere and requested misc. parts for Homelite saws. OK, at least I got a reply stating the parts were no longer available or in stock, but was given a list of possoble NOS dealer's who may still have them in sstock. To me that's better service than I'm getting now. At least I got my Homelite parts with a little searching. The Homelite 5-20 is 50 years old and was made from Sept, 1955 - Apr, 1956 as per Mike's site. The 08 S was made for a longer period of time and was used, form what I understand, for the basis for other saw models. I know the handle cover is trivial, but how many others have been told parts for a perfectly good saw cannot be obtained. They don't tell you that parts may be available through another dealer network, but can't get them. How many others have been screwed over by this petty bickering (teerritorial thing) and what appears to be an inadequate supply system. Makes me want to go buy a new Stihl saw. Parts to cover warrenty might be available for the warrenty period, but after that you're on your own. Glad I talked my brother into buying a Husqvarna 372XP in stead of an 044. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Inconsequential?

Hello Formersawrep. This may be inconsequential or trivial. The point is that the part is (from what I understand and have been told) in inventory. I've made a parts request, for a price quote and to order the part. What is the problem if it's in stock on a shelf somewhere and it's on Stihl's inventory, why isn't it available. I could see it if the part, no longer exsist in stock. How many people have ordered parts and have been told that parts don't exsist. When Stihl USA says difinately the parts are available and in stock as per their records and then you get the run around. Something is wrong and should be corrected. I ran my own business and when the customer wanted service I bent over backwards to provide the service to the best of my ability. The part supposedly is available and because of bickering, isn't available, come on. Sounds like someone is just to lazy to make a call, and have someone get off their lazy butt and go check the part out of inventory and ship the part. OK, enough said on this subject. I've had a couple offers for help and am persuing them and the help isn't from Stihl. This thread has been interesting and hope who ever reads it takes NOTE!!!!. The way the prices of Sthil parts go, the handle cover is probably priced out of site and has probably deteriorated or rotten on the shelf and if I were to try and install it, would disintigrate in my hands and wouldn't be able to get it replaced under any parts warrenty. Guess I'll go to plan 2 and get a piece of black rubber hose. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Pulling the curtain back and understanding the Stihl distribution system is one thing but over riding this bureaucratic nonsense is the inescapable thought of just giving this gentleman the opportunity to purchase his needed part. Every one involved stands to win. The part makes the customer happy, a profit is made and is taken off taxable inventory and a great deal of good will is generated and seen by us and perhaps heard by others.
I'm sure the prevailing thought is that this gesture will some how pierce the rigid wall of territorial separation and open up the system to more exceptions. This is clearly not the case in that Lewis is restoring a product well outside the reasons for regional parts boundaries. We all understand this and look for reasonable minds to prevail.

Back