What's up with Stihl:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only are they sometimes using more high-tech materials, but robotics can assemble them with much greater precision and can do so far more rapidly.

I'd bought an HP calculator in the early '90s.  Those things were great; had exquisite tactile feedback on the keyswitches and the labels on the keys were made with a double-shot mold so the labels will never wear off.  The calculators were assembled with robotics and were not made to be repaired.  Warranty work consisted of throwing the unit away and sending a new one.  When the model went out of production, they kept a reserve around for the length of the warranty period and when that was expired, they dumped the reserve.  The first one cost me $100 and the second, $25.  Between the two of them, I fully expect to have a working handheld graphing calculator for the rest of my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "disposable" doesn't necessarily equate to "junk quality".

Having said all that, I understand the new HP calculators are made with the squishy rubber-dome keys with painted on labels...

Glen

Hi Lewis,
It is a shame Stihl is fragmented into regional fiefdoms. But at least they still have parts available for an old saw. And you were able to get the parts from a sympathetic dealer. What other saw company can make that claim. Did you ever check with the decal dude(Frank Sadlon) on Mike's site about Homelite decals?
Ray

glens said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that "disposable" doesn't necessarily equate to "junk quality".
Glens I agree... and in fact, along with that "use it up, wear it out, make it last or do without" mindset, I actually ENJOY beating the system by taking something past its planned obsolescence. Example, last week the steering mechanism on my cheapo harbor freight $90 garden wagon broke clean off at the pivot. I took a solid chunk of aluminum bar stock, machined the appropriate holes and countersinks, and attached it to the tongue, and replaced the thin wheel supports with 1/4 inch thick beefier ones attached to the frame. The thing is stronger now than when new. Most folks would have tossed the wagon in the trash and bought a new one. An evenings worth of work and I'm back in business. It's a mindset.

Totally agree with you woodshop. People are too quick to "just go get a new one". I detailed the hinge assembly on my gate by the way in the other thread...thought you might be interested...

Hah! You ought to see my '77 Ford F-250 .250,000 ,miles.Same engine,different tranny.Needs the valves ground,though.I believe in treating all equal.Stihl isn't making a dime on me,but neither is Ford. :p

woodshop said:
Example, last week the steering mechanism on my cheapo harbor freight $90 garden wagon broke clean off at the pivot. I took a solid chunk of aluminum bar stock, machined the appropriate holes and countersinks, and attached it to the tongue, and replaced the thin wheel supports with 1/4 inch thick beefier ones attached to the frame. The thing is stronger now than when new. Most folks would have tossed the wagon in the trash and bought a new one. An evenings worth of work and I'm back in business. It's a mindset.

Having the appropriate tools, that bis what I would have done!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
Having the appropriate tools, that bis what I would have done!!!
yes I realize not everybody has the tools and machinery to refurbish things. I made do with hand-me-down and yard sale tools and limited resources for years (well of course my resources are STILL limited...) but my experience is that people can do more than they think they can with less than they think they need. Early 80's we lived in a 12x60ft trailer, but I still managed to rebuild several VW engines in the end 6x10ft "room" that I turned into a tiny shop with a 2x4 workbench and a cheap Sears vise. I've acquired a "few" more tools in last 20 years and my basement is now my shop, which make fixing and machining things easier, but many of them mainly save me time. With jigs and patience and ingenuity, you can still do lots of machining with basic simple setups. Cheapo $60 HF drill press, lots of clamps, stable workbench.

Cancelled the Order:

Well, called the local Stihl dealer today (as I have since Feb. 4th) and cancelled the order for the 08S sprocket. Last week they called they're supplier and the supplier put a trace on the order. Called today and the sprocket is still backordered and no ETA (Ha, they traced it alright, probably put a flag on the order, to not ship anything to me, because of this thread). Stihl USA says the part is available. Got an email from a western distributer and they have the part in stock. They would ship it to my dealer, so I supplied them with my dealer's name, address and ph.# along with mine, so that they could contact me if necessary. Talked with my dealer and mentioned the proposal I received. They said that they would not be able to accept any parts form out west. So there you go, the part exist, but not available. Going to call alssmallengines.com and order the part. He has it in stock. Again I ask, "What's up with Stihl?" I've given them more than enough time to get a part that I'm told is in stock. Go figure. Hopefully will have the part soon, was planning to take the aw to the GTG. Everyone take care. Lewis.

I think this is sad, I guess they rather have it in stock.
I know there is a collector deep inside everyone, but this is strange :dizzy:

Lewis Brander said:
Well, called the local Stihl dealer today (as I have since Feb. 4th) and cancelled the order for the 08S sprocket. Last week they called they're supplier and the supplier put a trace on the order. Called today and the sprocket is still backordered and no ETA (Ha, they traced it alright, probably put a flag on the order, to not ship anything to me, because of this thread). Stihl USA says the part is available. Got an email from a western distributer and they have the part in stock. They would ship it to my dealer, so I supplied them with my dealer's name, address and ph.# along with mine, so that they could contact me if necessary. Talked with my dealer and mentioned the proposal I received. They said that they would not be able to accept any parts form out west. So there you go, the part exist, but not available. Going to call alssmallengines.com and order the part. He has it in stock. Again I ask, "What's up with Stihl?" I've given them more than enough time to get a part that I'm told is in stock. Go figure. Hopefully will have the part soon, was planning to take the aw to the GTG. Everyone take care. Lewis.
Lewis-
I've got that 08S here if you need any parts, let me know. I can bring it to the GTG if you want to scavange. I got it for nothing, the parts are all there except the clutch/sprocket cover is broken where the handle bolts in.
Andy

I would be pretty annoyed in that situation, they have the part but because its in another area they won't sell it to you.

The fact that its from a 40 year old saw is irrelevant because they have the part.
Personally I would try and get someone on here who lives in that area to get it for you and send it onto you.

ist2_3064179-mummy-walking1.jpg

Check the date of the post before yours.

:cheers:

It has happened to me at least once.

Back