What's wrong with used motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude,

It is bad for the saw. It is bad for the environment. It is bad for you and others health. And beyond that - it is just plain bad...

Mingara said:
Festive Greetings to All

Now I know that this thread subject has been worked before, but perhaps not this specific... so here goes.

I've recently read in earlier posts that used motor oil should not be used as bar oil. However I was told a couple of years ago that used motor oil was okay because the oil and any contaminants are thrown from the bar during use. I have been using used motor oil for about a year with no problem but reading this site it seems there maybe good reason for me to re-consider. What is the worst that can happen from using used motor oil as bar oil in my Dolmar 120si.
Cheers All
Thanks in advance.
Take some of that used oil and pour it on that rusty hinge on your wallet and break it free, open it, and pull some cash out and go buy some real bar oil

Maybe we should take up a collection we can all pitch in a nickle and buy him a case of bar oil. They have it on sale at northern tool $2.50 a gallon for winter bar oil.

Different carcinogens cause different types of cancer. Car mechanics are exposed to motor oil and they experience an increased risk of scrotum cancer. So next time you put your hands in the used motor oil just think ... scrotum cancer!

redpowerd said:
im wondering why you would inhale bar oil?

Ummm. I don't think it's intentional, they're saying that it comes off the bar and chain as a mist and you end up breathing it. Cut enough and your clothes have a bit of it on them, how can you avoid breathing it in?

My question is they sit and raise oh holy heck about used engine oil slinging off into the enviroment. Ok yea it does fling off the chain and bar , BUT wher in sam hell ya think the BAR&CHAIN oil goes . Duhhhhhhh Into the enviroment , #2 Wher in heck ya think the friggen oil came from in the first place . Answer The dang ground

My question is they sit and raise oh holy heck about used engine oil slinging off into the enviroment. Ok yea it does fling off the chain and bar , BUT wher in sam hell ya think the BAR&CHAIN oil goes?

Again, that is one of the reasons some choose to use vegi oils.

#2 Wher in heck ya think the friggen oil came from in the first place . Answer The dang ground.

I assume, or at least hope, you're being facetious with that one.

I assume you're either trolling with that comment or being facetious

No i sure was not trolling i was stating a fact plain and simple. Crude oil comes from the dang gone ground , then refined into many many thing's such as Gasoline, Diesel Fuels, Engine oils , Hydrulic oils, BAR&CHAIN OIL, ec t ect . Just get a little tired of the dang EPA thinking they know everything , They and activist raised :censored: about 2 stroke engines , Ok so here comes along some new breed 4 stroke engines on trimmers and saws. Some had a crank case and others did not , What gets me is Oh yea so and so has a new 4 stroke ya mix the gas and oil togather lets aprove that it wont polute as bad a s the 2 stroke , BULLLLLLLLLCRAPPPPPPPP same dang thing the gas is mixed with oil and if mixed to rich its going to do what??????????????? SMOKE

Yeah that stupid EPA with all there stupid rules. Everybody knows plutonium comes out of the ground and yet they have all these ???? rules for disposing of nuclear waste. Dang them!!

KC Lawncare
There is a chance that your catching this tread in mid-streem.
The issues posted about used oil slinging off of bars were more geared to the possability of the operator breathing this in, that and that its a known carsingenic cant be good for you!
I'm not sure that there is anyone here that didnt know that oil did in fact come from the ground, I'm not sure that there are any activist here eather?
Welcome to the site, and if you want to learn, you came to the right place.

Drain oil is used for the control of external parasites on swine and sometimes cattle. Now I hear it causes scrotum cancer, this would explain why a boar pig my father has is in possesion of a huge set. :confused:

Yeah that stupid EPA with all there stupid rules

Well it sure wasnt the easter bunny that started this crap of engines running so lean their burning up. Takes 15 mins warm up to get a garden tractor to run right in the winter, Carb's we cant do ???? with on a 200.00 saw but spend 3/4 that to replace the thing so yes i say ???? the EPA and their bullcrap.

BTW Thanks for the welcome ShoerFast , Ahh never mind me its pouring the rain down and the phone is ringing off the hook, Got 4 cords piled and already sold and 4 orders nowto go when the weather breaks , And trying to stop smoking cold turkey makes me somewhat edgy Lmao , Thats worse than 100 gallon of oil slung off a bar and chain :)

No i sure was not trolling i was stating a fact plain and simple. Crude oil comes from the dang gone ground ,

Well, yeah, it is no secret that crude oil comes from the ground. ;) But, don't ya think there's a difference between crude oil being deep in the ground & refined oil, complete with additives, being deposited & sprayed on the ground and everything else that's living there? Seriously. I'm not being a smart alek. Think about that & lets hear your response.

Just get a little tired of the dang EPA thinking they know everything ,

I'm not going to defend everything the EPA does. Their mandates on two stroke engines sure don't help performance. That aside, I'm pretty sure there are a few folks over there that do know a thing or two based not on emotions but rather on long & pricey studies. Prove them wrong and get yourself on the cover of Time. ;)

Why are you bothering with this guy? I'd rate his writing at about a 3rd grade level. Shouldn't we use our efforts on those actually able to benefit from them?

C&K, 4mix engines and their ilk are designed to limit the amount on unburned hydrocarbons entering the atmosphere, not oil smoke. Conventional 2 stroke engines are notorious for passing part of their fuel charge straight through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

i don't run waste oil or waste anythings else through my saws. bars wear fast enough with oils that have a sticky base. waste oil for the most part flings off the end of the bar. it is very thin. plus, all the grit can work wonders for the bar groove or if you are lucky plug the filter. if you add up the time to filter and screen it how much are you really saving? is your time worth nothing? i got stuck once and ran out of bar and chain oil. had to run new 30wt in my 357 and 372. i did not like the results at all. all my trucks have a gallon of extra bar and chain oil hidden some place. marty

Yes
Its clear that nobody likes blutted goverment issues thrust on us, but there are a few good things that have come out of it.
Here is an FYI , did you know that the EPA makes off road equipment Mfrgs. cover there products by up to 2 years if "any Emmision-related part" fails! So if your saw leans out in 2 years and dose damage it is repaired free!
Did you know that buying a used saw, its still covered under the emmision warranty, same 2 years!
Check owners manuals for anything made since 1997 ,*note the muff. mod. disclamers,,,, if anything had been tampered with it will void the warranty. The EPA started this with on-road veichles way back in the 70's it keep the then big 3 honest,(it was a 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty) and it also made them reinvest in better running engines,,,, there never was a cold day that a truck with a carb. could start and hang with the current fuel injected engines. It did come at a user end cost, but we did get a little for our money.

But if you would ask me, I like the way the Aircraft indestery took care of its self, it had no EPA restrictions, the market just didnt buy the old school engines and are now being replaced with very clean (for there size) engines, just out of the pure cost it will save in fuel.
The EPA oversteps there bounds regulary, but its a sad truth, the consumer market is slow to learn, we didnt buy Dodge Omni's in early 80's because of there snazzy colors, or that they would last 10 years (very few did) we bought them because they were only $8800 bucks.

Why are you bothering with this guy? I'd rate his writing at about a 3rd grade level. Shouldn't we use our efforts on those actually able to benefit from them?

I can't speak for others but he's no bother to me. And my writing at times might be seen as 2nd grade. It's no measure of a human.

Believes are often based on many things. Just as often (maybe moreso) they are based on little. For the latter, it might be benificial to point out other ways of looking at things.

Just my opinion...... :)

Latest posts

Back