Whats you favorite wood to cut/burn.... -Stove Pics-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 30 year old El Fuego fireplace

made in Kansas city. Pics arent too great. Glass is dirty, but Im burning mulberry which is my second favorite wood that is abundant here. My favorite abundant wood is Ash, the firewood of kings. I also burn a lot of Osage Orange (hedge), honey locust, and Elm (Red elm and American elm).

When I have my picks its Ash, Mulberry, and once in a while I get some Burr Oak.

attachment.php

Here are the heatilator ducts above the fireplace. For an old unit, this thing does a damn good job heating my 1700 sq ft house.

attachment.php

Anything that free and fits in the door.

I try and save any Oak for dead of winter. Locust is my second favorite because theres allot of it dead and standing. I'm not real good at identifying trees, especially when they're dead without leaves.

made in Kansas city. Pics arent too great. Glass is dirty, but Im burning mulberry which is my second favorite wood that is abundant here. My favorite abundant wood is Ash, the firewood of kings. I also burn a lot of Osage Orange (hedge), honey locust, and Elm (Red elm and American elm).

attachment.php

LOL I burned my empty beer boxes before I took the pic., however they are usually there. :cheers:

Hahaa, beer boxes make good kindling, as do pepsi boxes (my wife is a diet pepsi freak). I seem to have more beer boxes though...:cheers:

As far as BTU's per cord, Osage Orange is king. Then the Hickorys, Locusts etc.. Having said that, right now my stove is full of Cottonwood and Box Elder. Both suck, but they were easy to get and you burn what you can and it's above freezing right now. Works well in the OWB.
Ash is far and away my favorite. I'll burn the hardwoods when it's cold.
There is an incredible amount of standing dead Ash around here it's very sad.
Lousy emerald ash bore is killing them all. 1 in 10 trees in Ohio is an Ash tree. I don't own a woods, and it can be a little difficult getting land owner permission sometimes. I'll burn anything I can get my hands on. If I could have all of the dead ash within 1/2 mile of my house. I would have more wood than I could burn for the rest of my life if I burnt year round.
A landowner I know of had 60 logable ash trees he wanted to log before the bore completely destroyed them The best offer he got from a timber buyer was $2000. Thats $33 a tree. Supply and demand at work.

Oak and poplar

Lots around here, and there is always dead stuff to cut. Tried to upload a vid of our (uninstalled) stove but it takes forever because it is 6 min and HD. Will try and make a shorter one tomorrow.
12.jpg

Arrowhead, since were both in the same neck of the woods, I hear you on the pine.

If we have to mess with it around here, it goes to the brush pile. Aint worth messing with.

Not when theres red, white and pin oaks and ash around. Second tier is cherry and elm.

Bottom tier, maple.

As far as BTU's per cord, Osage Orange is king. Then the Hickorys, Locusts etc.. Having said that, right now my stove is full of Cottonwood and Box Elder. Both suck, but they were easy to get and you burn what you can and it's above freezing right now. Works well in the OWB.
Ash is far and away my favorite.

My fave too for any number of reasons -- aside from the abundance of EAB casualties in my area of Ohio. I'm smack in the middle of all the red dots on the ODNR and EPA maps on the web sites for emerarld ash borer infestation. All old growth in my area, too. Had to drop a couple 80 footers next to the house last year and have a few smaller ones still needing attention soon. Not a live ash anywhere within 20 miles. Great to buck and better to split. Nice BTU to PITA ratio and is great for splitting down to kindling size to fire the
base coal bed for some of the old elm and locust I have for the more serious
heating situations.

Have a small Quadra-Fire that handles almost all the heating needs for over
2800 sq. ft of area. Have an all electric home otherwise, and a couple of vent
free propane hearth heaters in logical locations for supplemental action. The
electric baseboard is set to 59 and never comes on except for the bottom floor of a three story arrangement.

I'll heat my place all winter with two cords and around 100 gallons of LP, plus
a little bit of electric baseboard.

There's a guy the next road over who has already burned two haywagons worth of hardwood in a fired boiler for what is around a 1800 sq. ft. house.
What's wrong with that picture?
Sheesh.

That's a really nice set-up. What is your stove make and model?

Chainsaw content: What is your go-to chainsaw for this stove?

Thanks!
Bill

the stove is basically an Englander 240007 bought from Lowes for just under $500.00. at the time they weren't selling them under the englander name. it is manufactured by CFM corporation and sold under several names including dutchwest, as i recall.
for a cheap stove it is very good. i bought it because it was the cheapest air-tight stove i could find. i got lucky. the secondary burn capabilities of the stove are near perfect and make it a pleasure to burn.

i use a dolmar 7900 to feed it. ;)

Great to buck and better to split. Nice BTU to PITA ratio and is great for splitting down to kindling size to fire the
base coal bed for some of the old elm and locust I have for the more serious
heating situations.9102128882300970231396

Right on. Thats what I love about ash. Quick, fast heat, easy to work with, fun to buck up, quick drying. Its perfect for an insert.

I burn a wide variety of wood, depending on what I can get and how cold it is. I like Red Oak the best, and I currently have access to an almost unlimited supply. My Uncle, who doesn't burn wood, has a pasture full of them. No one has cut there for 50 years, so they are from 20 to 40 inches. My second favorite, which I don't think anyone has mentioned, is Elm. I like to find standing dead Elm with the bark off. They don't usually get bigger than 20 inches or so, and I can fit these in my fireplace without splitting. I also have a bunch of White Oak the beaver killed, they burn a while, but don't seem to put out the heat like the Reds and Elms do. I like them when it's a bit warmer out. I also have to go get the 3 point hitch splitter from my cousin if I do White Oak, which is fun to run, but time consuming. After that I'll burn whatever, Ash, Apple, Ironwood, Maple, Birch.

We are lucky down here in Oz with a plethora of Eucalyptus hardwoods. My favourite is grey box followed by yellow and red box but the various gums burn OK. Funny names but great burners. Only touble is you can burn out a mild steel fire box in no time at all hence the need for cast iron innards in our heaters.

You also need a lugger if you are going to cut box wood when it is dry. I use an 084 with a 25" bar for dry stuff which is about par around here.

Nardoo

Last edited:
the stove is basically an Englander 240007 bought from Lowes for just under $500.00. at the time they weren't selling them under the englander name. it is manufactured by CFM corporation and sold under several names including dutchwest, as i recall.
for a cheap stove it is very good. i bought it because it was the cheapest air-tight stove i could find. i got lucky. the secondary burn capabilities of the stove are near perfect and make it a pleasure to burn.

i use a dolmar 7900 to feed it. ;)

I put the same stove in my house when I built it for the same reason. Same exact stove. Then my uncle called and asked if I wanted the 20 yr old Lopi from the house I grew up in, no brainer. I gave the cfm stove to my wife's sister and brother-in-law for their house. Heats their whole house. My favorite wood to burn is smooth bark hickory and hard maple.

I use a 6400 to heat my house with.

Burning oak this winter because i had a mountain of it given to me. Great BTUs and no sparks but i don't get the extended burn times from it that the osage orange gives me.

I knew about the chains, did not know about the silica. I'm told it is a cedar, growing up with the western reds, I was suprised.

fun to cut:bang:

attachment.php

Cedar and juniper smell the same and have fiber like bark , but that is about all the have in common. These are most common junipers in my area:

One-seed Juniper - Juniperus monosperma

Western Juniper or Sierra Juniper - Juniperus occidentalis

Kinda rare but huge for the lack of rain compared to your area. Alligator Juniper - Juniperus deppeana

In your neck of the woods. You have the western red cedar(Thuja plicata), it is not actually a cedar (Cedrus), but belongs in the Cupressaceae family, along with cypresses. There might be some range over lap between them.

Favorite wood is Lodge pole pine . Burns at a rate like a cross between any hardwood and pine / fir . Not to hot and lasts for a reasonable time with less cleanup over time . Currently burning white and black oak with Ponderosa pine mixed in .

Took out cheap factory installed fireplace and installed this monster last summer : http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

Tile work was a little tricky cutting the curves at the top of the face plate , but roto zip with diamond bits did fine although a little rough . Edges of tile are behind the face plate , so it worked .

Take Care ,

Fred H.

Back