whats your fastest way to start a fire in outdoor woodburner in the rain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i use a propane torch and kendling,a news paper,but it sure is slow,i told my wife no matter how hot it gets in the house again,i not letting the fire go out....soaked and frooze,but fire going after 20 minutes:bang::msp_scared::angry:

Noodles. Lots and lots of noodles. I have 2 50-gal garbage bags full of ash noodles that are nice and dry. Make a pile of noodles, stack some smaller diameter sticks around the pile then some bigger stuff around that. Once it gets started it will take right off.

I use bark, sticks, and the noodling noodles. Usually a quick start

wow,thanks guys noodles and also the storage in trash bags great ideas............................will do in future......love this site:msp_biggrin:

Dry splitter scrap mixed with the noodles. Hit it with an old gasoline blow torch and that will get 're going in no time.

Newspaper, slivers, kindling, match.

I keep kindling in the furnace between the firebox door and outer door.

I am a roofer, and keep wood shakes from shake tear offs. If you make a burrito roll with the felt that is installed under the shakes, you have an instant fire. Since roofing companies cannot recycle shakes like we do regular shingles, they just have to take them to the landfill. All you have to do is ask and they will let you take all you want, since you are saving them money. Make them extra happy and pick them off of the ground, so they don't have to take them to the dumpster. Best kindling you can get and it is already split.

Dan

I am a roofer, and keep wood shakes from shake tear offs. If you make a burrito roll with the felt that is installed under the shakes, you have an instant fire. Since roofing companies cannot recycle shakes like we do regular shingles, they just have to take them to the landfill. All you have to do is ask and they will let you take all you want, since you are saving them money. Make them extra happy and pick them off of the ground, so they don't have to take them to the dumpster. Best kindling you can get and it is already split.

Dan

Interesting idea. I dont have an OWB, but when i want to get a fire going fast, or when the wood is a bit wetter than i like i use some "super kindling"...I'll make some kindling once or twice during the year and take some of the better kindling pieces fill up a 5 gallon bucket with them and then fill the bucket with diesel. Let it sit until you feel like draining the diesel, i usually let mine soak for a week or so, maybe more.

Plastic Lids

Besides myself there are several guys who drink coffee each morning at Mc Donalds. All of those fellows were giving me those lids last year. Before long I had more than Mc Donalds -hah. Those plastic lids on the coffee cups make a good starter. If you don't mind brushing out your flue more often because of a little quicker buildup of soot these work pretty well.

Oh my neighbor across the street (the wife) comes over and picks up pine cones. She puts wax on them and uses them for fire starters.

Another good source of kindling would be pallets. A lot of businesses just toss them out in back or over by a large dumpters. A good skill saw with a carbide blade can make one into kindling in about 5-minutes. ???? What about the nails ???? When they get red hot they make heat too. The nails and ashes can be dumped in a hole or the nails can be sifted through a screen. I've got the biggest part of a 5-gallon bucket holding pallet nails sifted through a screen.

Well folks you all have a good time starting and staying warm by the stove.

Nosmo

I too am curious as to why your owb lost its fire. Mine gets lit once in the fall and that's it.

I too am curious as to why your owb lost its fire. Mine gets lit once in the fall and that's it.

Same here! I lit mine in the fall of 2008 and haven't let it go out since. The thermostat controls the temp in the house. The OWB will smolder for hours between burns. A fill up in the summer will last almost 3 days.

Go get ya some of these things, They will start it anywhere. About ten bucks a box. You won't need anything else.

attachment.php

Before I had my big King wood burner I had a small pot belly that I had to build fires constantly!!! I kept a cooler full of fine splits in the mud room for the purpose. I threw a pile in close up front and left the door closed for draft,shot a propane torch under the door until I saw bright light and she was goin. Now I have my big King wood burner that bad dude stays goin for 24 hours a day. I feed it in the morning and when I get home from work at night. I start the fires the same way though. She is 10 times the stove as that little pot belly was very fortunate my buddy sold it to me for $150. I looked at the date on the King and it was made in the early 70's. It had a blower but I took it out because it didn't work, maybe get a new blower motor for it some day. It makes a big difference having a good burner, I had to wake up at 2:00 in the morning to start a fire in the old stove before the King and let me tell you it would be cold cold!! But not anymore!!! That King stays hot I can't prays it enough. Stay warm ya all!!!

thanks guys.....great suggestions..mines is called a ( lil' house outdoor wood furnance),

Latest posts

Back