What's your favorite campfire wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn mostly pine and spruce in the firepit unless I'm cooking on it then usually oak or maple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free! The wood I like best is left in a pile (near the fire ring) by the camper who was there before me. :D

Sassafras when I can get it.
It smells like cooking "rootbeer".

I like SASSAFRAS on the fire too. We got tons of it around here.

Seems like to younger trees have a stronger scent than the mature ones. ????
Of course it all looses its' smell somewhat as it dries too.

I'd say pine is the most entertaining. Shoots up a bunch of nice sparks, snaps and pops like firecrackers, and tosses out excellent hot embers, which is always good for a laugh when they land on the drunk BIL's lap.

Have some Hemlock from a tree removal. Dried it burns pretty good in the pit. If I burn a fire I don't want to mess around with less than dry wood, I want it blazing!!

I have a bunch of white pine that makes a great fire and smells great. It also burns up quick so I don't have to worry about it after I go back in the house.

For most of us, it's what ever is local and easy to get. There are many spices that I have yet to try because of availability.
I do go through phases where I prefer one over another.
Probably my most favorite of mine is post oak. Great all around wood for just about anything.
I wish I had a sample of more wood spices to try out.
Most of the froot wood are great smelling woods.

Now on the other hand, the most stinky woods I have used are cotton wood box elder.

Anyone ever use muscadine vine wood for smoking?
Muscadine vine is a wild grape wood that is local and grows in the wild.
From what I hear, the grapes are fairly sower but it is a frootwood so I wonder how well it works for smoking.
I have a small batch I collected last year, that I have yet to try.

I have a bunch of white pine that makes a great fire and smells great. It also burns up quick so I don't have to worry about it after I go back in the house.
OK, that does it. I'll start cutting up all that junk pine that I have at the drop site. Nobody wants it. Been lying there for over a year. Maybe I can split the stuff, wrap it up, and wipe the tar off my hands. Rubber gloves might help. Never thought I'd see the day. Gasp!

Yep, the candles throw out the heat too. Take some on every camping trip.

It can depend on the time of year as to what wood I choose. If it's warm summer camping, usually a softwood, such as poplar or pine, and not seasoned as much as the smoke makes a nice bug chaser.

When we camp in the fall or it's colder, try to get some seasoned hardwood for heat, quick lighting, and burn times.

Or sometimes it's just what I have on hand.

One thing to check is if you transport wood, check with your local DNR (webpage) or equivalent, to see if there's any restrictions due to bugs or diseases.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

My son and I took locust one time camping...everything we cooked was burned and we couldn't see anything:laughing:
You burned locust in a campfire pit when you could have heated your whole house with it? Maybe that's why the food all got burned up. The locust was trying to talk to you. Trees have their own language.

Back