whats your favorite way to get wood out of the woods??? post pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks LumberjkChamp, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. The tractor and winch have exceeded my expectations, and have got alot of use even through the summer. I am really impressed what this setup will do. I plan on cutting firewood again this winter starting after Christmas. So far the firewood sales have been good. I have not advertised as much as I could have, but around here word of mouth travels fast. I expect all the wood I cut last year will be gone before spring.

Did you purchase a winch?

AHHH!......You called me on it. I have not YET purchased a winch. I am so damn close though. Its the only way to go. Especially if one already owns a tractor.

Glad to hear firewood sales are good. And it is even better if you don't have to advertise. Its also good to know the tractor is running good.

Thanks for the reply. Have a productive and safe wood cutting season.

Tried to rep ya but I guess I gotta spread some around.

Nice outfit Turkeyslayer. That would be real nice on the back. I think I know what they mean now when they say "Tractor envy"

DR Powerwagon

I don't have any pictures (should by now...I've had it over 2 years), but I use a DR Powerwagon for my wood hauling.

http://www.drpower.com/power-wagon_gallery.aspx?fromprwmsh

Works great for navigating in thick woods. What's really nice is I can usually drive right up to the tree I've cut, so loading rounds is just a simple lift. No more dragging, rolling, throwing, or otherwise manhandling my wood supply. For rounds over 18" or so, I bring my Fiskars Super Splitter along and split them a few times before loading.

I also use it throughout the winter to bring in firewood for the stove. I have 2 sets of 1x6's that I position vertically so I can stack wood well above the sides of the wagon. Can fit about a 1/2 face cord per trip, and that lasts about a week unless its real cold.

Still some work involved, but I can put up 3-4 cords/year without too much pain and suffering, and that covers about 80% of my heat bill.

Also I only have about 6 acres for a wood lot, so I being small and nimble helps me keep it in good shape and not need to cut anything wider than a 3' foot path.

Built by DR right here in Vermont.

OOOOHH, a winch!!

I thought he said a wench!
attachment.php

Back