What's your knife mines a gerber 97223

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kershaw Ken Onion is my everyday. Had it for 12 years, it's been sent in and replaced twice because the spring assist quit working. Spring assist hasn't worked on this one for quit awhile but not worth the hassle of sending it in.

Had to include my latest knife, Mora Bushcraft Forest. I had never heard of Mora until this summer. They have a very good reputation for making great quality knives at an unbelievable price. I paid $18 for this one on a amazon lightning deal (normally around $25 which is still cheap). I love the rubber grip and the blade seems to be very high quality too. This model is a 3/4 tang. I liked it so much I left my $60 Browning knife at home and used this to gut my deer this year.

Man I had a Ken Onion for almost 10 years and a couple months back I lost it at work. I was using it to scrape coating off a steel pipeline about 6 feet down and handed it to another guy on the other side of the ditch to cut some tape. He never handed it back and didn't mention he left it sitting on top the pipe until we were done back filling the trench and packing up for lunch. :(

Man I had a Ken Onion for almost 10 years and a couple months back I lost it at work. I was using it to scrape coating off a steel pipeline about 6 feet down and handed it to another guy on the other side of the ditch to cut some tape. He never handed it back and didn't mention he left it sitting on top the pipe until we were done back filling the trench and packing up for lunch. :(
That really sucks. If I ever forget mine I feel naked without it. Hopefully the guy that borrowed it will buy you a new one??

speaking of knives, anyone have experience with the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener?

No, No, NO !!!

Learn how the use a sharpening steel or ceramic rod. If I've got something that's seriously dull perhaps a few licks on a stone or diamond hone. IMHO, Products like these are not "sharpeners" they are "grinders" and should never be used on a knife that you really care for. A sharpening steel or ceramic rod burnishes or polishes the edge back into alignment and removes very little metal, this can't be said about most power driven products which will IMHO ruin a good blade.

ive been hand sharpening for 25 years and always felt the same as you. i just get a different feeling about this one. it actually uses the same sharpening process as the big knife manufacturers do. i guess im looking for a better faster way to bring back a really dull knife. i have about 50-60 knives and some are really cheapo knives that are dull. just something i play with in the winter when its cold out

speaking of knives, anyone have experience with the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener?
Yes I do, and yes it's fast and works, BUT I can't bring myself to put one of my GOOD knives on it!!

They remove a lot of metal fast...

SR

1550-4.jpg

I've had one of these in my pocket for over 20 years now, Klein 1550-4. I try others now and then and always come back to the ole stand-by. 20 bucks, bullet proof, holds an edge great. Just tried a benchmade 940, it's the dullenest, edge chippinest knife I've ever had in my life. I'd feel bad even giving that thing away.

I have a lot of knives and brands turned into junk by a work sharp, and other systems like that. There's one at a shop I frequent at work, after they burn the blade or blow off the tips guys toss them and I pick them up and bring'em back to life on a stone and steel. Use a light touch if your gonna go the work sharp direction.

Doesn't matter what you carry, so long as you have a knife in your pocket. A guy should have a knife in his pocket, doesn't matter how old or young they are.

Owl

That really sucks. If I ever forget mine I feel naked without it. Hopefully the guy that borrowed it will buy you a new one??

Haha nope, not a chance. He offered me a lukewarm Miller High Life after work that day, but I wouldn't drink one of those if I was dying of dehydration.

Back