When my log splitter piston gets very hot....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After scoping out tanks, I have a couple restrictions, I can do 11
wide, 36 long and up to 20 deep. That would give a max tank
capacity of about 34 gallons, I would be comfy with 30 for a 28
gpm pump. I have a nice TIG unit someone gave me a while ago,
I've stuck some aluminum bits together but think that making a
tank will be fun, my neighbor has a lot of 1/8 aluminum sheet he
wants to see put to good use, I think that'll make a fine tank.

3" npt suction with 50gpm strainer. 1.25 suction line, 1" return
line fitting with a snazzy lhf filter. Will make the brackets out of steel and
then insulate them with rubber to keep everything happy.

I'm thinking flange mount fittings as I can't seem to find a 3" npt
fitting that'd just thread in with an oring.

-Jason

:chainsawguy: :blob2: :newbie:

Greetings and salutations Jason from my corner of the soon to be frozen "Eastern wilderness" @1140 feet above mean sea level.

Are you using BSP fittings or SAE fittings?

If you have not bought or unpacked the fittings please wait as you really only need a number 20 (1 and 1/4 inch suction from the tank for that pump.

Are you sure you want a number 48 size (three inch) suction line going to the pump?
flooded suction is the best scenario for your pump which will eliminate anyy air bubbles and cavitation going into the suction side of the pump.

These hose fittings are typically a barbed fitting with an SAE flange with a 32 or 36 or 48 o-ring or larger.

A three inch BSP british standard pipe fitting which would require an o-ring to seal it will be a problem as they will be metric.

A number 24(1 and one half inch)or 32 size(2 inch) hydraulic fitting would be the better way to go for your plumbing and finding fittings will be easier; as long as the suction side is unrestricted the presure side will have no problem with the smaller sizes as a lot of fluid will go through a small pipe or hose.

leon

got me a little confused there, sorry for leaving the details out,
the Donaldson P562271, P562272 strainers each fit a 3" NPT
fitting and reduce it down to a 2" NPT, getting the 1 1/4 suction
line from there should be easy. I'm guessing that standard US
pipe thread is SAE? I think I want to go with a tube type fitting as
I can't see being able to wrangle a inch plus hydraulic suction line
free from a barb. It took me 10 minutes to get a 1/4 inch gas line
off a barb today. If someone has some information, I'd be much
obliged. Does someone make an aluminum 3" npt female thread
flange mount or weld in. Even a bulkhead fitting should be fine.

As a last option, one made of brass or steel might work.
-Jason

Somewhere in the suction line you will have to deal with barb fittings because a flexible connection will have to be made between tank and pump. The 28 gallon pump usually comes with a 1 1/4" barbed fitting for suction.

I know there are a lot of rule of thumb figures out there but I have looked at all the spec's I could find for various makes of commercial heavy duty splitters and most use 3/4 gallon of tank capacity for each gallon of pump capacity. Hydraulic fluid around here has been running 5 to 6 dollars a gallon. Fluid changes can get real expensive. I would put a drain valve in the bottom of the tank instead of just a plug. It will make life a lot easier if you have a leak or need to change fluid.

log splitter

got me a little confused there, sorry for leaving the details out,
the Donaldson P562271, P562272 strainers each fit a 3" NPT
fitting and reduce it down to a 2" NPT, getting the 1 1/4 suction
line from there should be easy. I'm guessing that standard US
pipe thread is SAE? I think I want to go with a tube type fitting as
I can't see being able to wrangle a inch plus hydraulic suction line
free from a barb. It took me 10 minutes to get a 1/4 inch gas line
off a barb today. If someone has some information, I'd be much
obliged. Does someone make an aluminum 3" npt female thread
flange mount or weld in. Even a bulkhead fitting should be fine.

As a last option, one made of brass or steel might work.
-Jason

:chainsawguy:

Jason US pipe is "National Pipe Thread", a different animal.

3 inch hydraulic fittings and adapter are very very expensive, in the hundreds of dollars; were these items something you bought or were they salvaged?
The reason I asked is simply that the proper size strainers are not that expensive and are a common item, as they are exactly like a drop in filter cartrige housing for an oil filter or fuel filter for a diesel engine.

The money you could spend on one fitting could buy you a proper hydraulic tank.

The three inch port for the suction strainer will move huge amounts of oil through your system all at once as there is no stopping it from entering the fitting/strainer. For a pump with a 3 inch gear or vane housing that is fine but not for a small log splitter as a huge surge of hot oil that is not allowed to cool a bit is not good for the pump and air bubbles will not be allowed to disolve, besides the fact that a huge vacuum can be created by the movement of the oil if you do not have a proper breather vent for the tank-and baffles, that is why I suggested buying complete tank ready to mount and plumb as everything will be there; your hydraulic shop can help you with this if they value your business.

If you buy the fittings and strainer from your hydraulic rebuild shop the fittings will be correctly sized for the suction side of the pump. The last time I looked northern tool had hydraulic tanks for sale and hydraulic tanks come in many sizes and shapes perhaps this is an option for you-but I would not buy fittings and a strainer from them as they are not involved with hydraulics as a main business and that will cost you time and money especially if they send the wrong items-they did that to my brother once regarding a replacement engine for a lawnmower-they did not ask for the engine serial number, type, series etc and he had to hav ethe shaft cut to the proper length-his own fault but-you can see where i am going with this.

leon:blob2:

The Donaldson strainer is pretty cheap, just a strainer afterall. It screws
into a 3" bung and gives a 1.5 NPT out. I'll likely reduce this down to a
proper fitting for the 1 1/4 suction line, the line from the tank to the pump
will just be a 1 1/4 line, not a 3"

the high pressure fittings will be 3/4 and I'll likely add a couple swivel
fittings on the suction side, just to make service easier.

-Jason

Back