When the OEM piston kits dryup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No , but I have shipped one to Jerry(one of the site moderators, and 1 to a guy in wyoming
and they liked them
I got one from Keith and have looked it over very closely, compared it to the 14 others I have here and see no issues what so ever with them. They are later 12mm pin type that have the also later EPA regulated port timing numbers. I did not put this cylinder on a saw to run it yet, just timed it with the piston that came with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stock running 044 or MS440, they will devour wood but some of us like to play with porting numbers and shapes just to get some extra out of them.

Soon I’ll start draining my running saws with 38:1 husky mix with seafoam in them. This is before they go to sleep. This will eliminate any future carb problems.

Or just run ethanol free fuel and you'll be good. I personally use 100LL (AKA AV Gas), and my 4/2-stroke small engines can sit forever and they always fire right up.

I have an old 3KW generator that has a 2-stroke motor (from the 50 or 60s), and it sits for long periods between runs (it's a backup as I have a 6.5KW Onan gasser now). It still fires right up.

Just adding a few $.01 ;)

I heard the husky saw guys talking on you tube. One said I believe he had seven of eight oem piston kits in the shop left. What are we going to use as oem replacement piston kits when the oem stuff dries up? Do you stock oem parts for the saws you like.?
I’m thinking about refreshing the saws that need it and they should out live my sons lifetime.
How much in parts should we stock up on. Just my thoughts.

I personally an am OEM guy, But several of the builders I follow are saying that those Hyway Titanickel (spelling??) top ends are really nice. I'm not a made in China fan, so I'm a little leery, but they say they're great.

I like the spare saw/parts saw method. I buy spare saws to keep my favorites running. I have also scooped up spare cylinders when I see them for decent prices.

Gotta keep my beloved 254s running ;)

I buy multiples in a proven model. A proven, popular, good selling model is going to have oem and aftermarket parts new and used available for a long time. Stock primary and secondary wear parts. If one goes down, I can frankenstein a saw together.

If all that fails 20yrs from now, I’ll buy the new stuff or have a kid 3D print me a cylinder out of kryptonite.

Everyone might think I’m nuts, before the Covid I bought 4K of saw parts and put them on ice until they become obsolete. Mainly the bigger model parts as size always means more cash. In a few years I will sell them to you guys on the forum. LoL.

No , but I have shipped one to Jerry(one of the site moderators, and 1 to a guy in wyoming
and they liked them
I got one from Keith and have looked it over very closely, compared it to the 14 others I have here and see no issues what so ever with them. They are later 12mm pin type that have the also later EPA regulated port timing numbers. I did not put this cylinder on a saw to run it yet, just timed it with the piston that came with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stock running 044 or MS440, they will devour wood but some of us like to play with porting numbers and shapes just to get some extra out of them.
Everyone might think I’m nuts, before the Covid I bought 4K of saw parts and put them on ice until they become obsolete. Mainly the bigger model parts as size always means more cash. In a few years I will sell them to you guys on the forum. LoL.
Way to go!

Latest posts

Back