When to change hydraulic oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a DHT splitter and wonder how often you guys change oil and filter. Also is DHT still in business and can I get parts if I need them?
Thanks Bob

Years ago my neighbor told me if I change the filter every so often I probably never have to change the oil, don't know how accurate of a statement that is but it seems to be working just fine all these years!
Wile I agree I have a restriction Guage on my filter (return style) have never seen it go even close to the yellow zone in 6 odd years since its been built.

I changed the oil and filter out in mine around the first 30 hours after initial break in to synthetic iso 46 because its hotter than hoochies coochie down here with plans to change the filter yearly. The hydraulic oil gets too hot to touch but not hot enough cook it like engine oil. I worry about sediment from expansion/contraction through the vent, hose breakdown, steel tank corrosion and water intrusion. I like the idea of the restriction gauge.

On a splitter never, on a hydrostatic tractor twice.
I recently went to scrap out a parts tractor I had. Needed to drain the fluid out of the trans (hydrostatic) pop the drain plug out and stuffed it back in immediately so I could get a clean bucket with a lid to save it. Looked brand new and the tractor is from the 70s. I have no idea if the previous owner changed it or not, as I bought it as a parts tractor not running, but I couldn't toss that much hy trans with what it costs these days. Ran it through a filter and put it up in the shed to get used.

I have a DHT splitter. I think I changed only the hydraulic filter after about 4 years of use. Split about 4 cord a year. Never when it's over 70*F , or so, outside. Fluid looks like new. It's plenty good, as far as I'm concerned. The splitter stays under a lean-to when not in use.
I plan on changing the filter again......whenever. no rush.

Back