When use a wedge cut vs. offset cut when limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know that when a limb is big or heavy and angled upwards, a wedge cut is the way to go. But if the angle is only slightly upwards and the width of the limb is about 5 inches, is there any reason to use a wedge cut and not a offset cut to take it down? Seems like often times on deciduous removals, there will be some big limbs close to the top, it is nice to remove a couple of these to aid in influence of fall direction of the top. A wedge cut only takes a few seconds more than an offset but is there any real advantage?

At 5 inches, I wouldn't waste my time with a pie cut, unless I was trying to guide it somewhere. Like if I had a ground guy pulling it with a rope to avoid a fence or something.
besides having more control of direction, the only other benefit I see in using a pie cut is that the limb wont snap so hard when it breaks free, causing the tree to shake...

and I wouldn't consider 5 inches "big or heavy", but that's just me...

now if the limb was like 12" in diameter, yeah, I would definitely do a pie cut..

Free falling the slightly angled 5" limb, the wedge cut gives you less chance of getting your saw stuck. I'm thinking about where I live, incense- cedar trees (not deciduous so not exactly the question you were asking) 5 inch slightly angled upward limbs can be 20 ft long and be unpredictable for a offset or snap cut.

Would a guy be able to cut straight down in a single cut along the trunk enough to allow the limb to slowly start falling under its weight? Or make a single cut on bottom first 1/3 like you were cutting out a face, cut up from bottom the down from top giving a hinge but I guess when hinge broke it would jump away from the tree and give the shake in the stem, so that weren't no help

Depends of the species. Some species will hold their limbs a lot more than others. For example, put a 1/3 undercut in a 6" black cottonwood limb, a short cut with your handsaw (like 6 teeth) will break it. Others will hold until there are like 3 fibres left.

Using a snap cut (offset), works well if you are able to physically maneuver the limb (either lift it, push it or otherwise control it). To use a snap cut on a vertical (or near vertical) limb/branch/codom stem and just leave it to it's own devices is IMHO dangerous.

What I will do when pruning trees with a lot of vertical stems/branches/codoms is to speed cut them and let them 'lawn dart' into the ground below.

For those who don't know, a speed is a steeply angled single cut made in a vertical stem which will allows it to slide off and drop straight down. Works well when you are working on smaller stems.

Oh ya I totally agree BC wetcoast, that's askin for it right in the kisser. If it was near vertical I would use a hinge of some sort or physically push it. I was thinking more along the line of limbing as you climb or out of a lift to get limbs to jump away from the stem to clear obstacles below or a single cut from top part way through allowing said limb to slowly lower under weight

If you want a horixontal limb to jump, put in an undercut (single kerf) and then put your top cut on the trunk side of the undercut. Practice on smaller limbs to experience how they react before you do bigger limbs.

If you want a horixontal limb to jump, put in an undercut (single kerf) and then put your top cut on the trunk side of the undercut. Practice on smaller limbs to experience how they react before you do bigger limbs.

hmmm, im gonna try that

I was thinking of this thread yesterday while removing a large cottonwood in a creek bed. It was important to the home owner the trees around it not be damaged. I was able to pop some big long branched between the trees on the ground. By placing my undercut at an angle,then matching it on the top cut, I could pop them to the right or left or send them streight down landing flat.
Some of those limbs were up to 16 in., all were more horizontal then not, all landed flat. The whole tree would shake as they popped off.

Latest posts

Back