when you have under bid...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call Before You Limb!

i likle the sound of that!! its similar to the Dial Before You Dig program that BC Gas has in place in BC Canada.

i'm going to talk to the boys at Hydro and see if i can get them to implement a similar program.

as for the underbidding, i'm in that boat right now. I wont talk pricing but man did i underbid. HOWEVER....i'm still making more on this contract in month, than i would in two or three months working for the old company. Plus i'm getting more work on the site too, in addition to the first job. But i have learned my lesson...:bang:

Call Before You Limb!

i likle the sound of that!! its similar to the Dial Before You Dig program that BC Gas has in place in BC Canada.

i'm going to talk to the boys at Hydro and see if i can get them to implement a similar program.

Good luck, its already taken care of, look up Worksafe B.C. and go to regs. section 19-electrical, tree stuff starts at 19.30. Brushing the wires, bad, bad, never done it, ha, ha.

From Wikipedia: "A low-voltage (110 to 220 V), 50 or 60-Hz AC current traveling through the chest for a fraction of a second may induce ventricular fibrillation [heart attack] at currents as low as 60mA." A low ampere delivery of 110 volts contracts muscles to the point that anything in hand (like a wire or branch) cannot be released.
House drops can kill you. It has happened to arborists. I respect them accordingly.
Yup, 110 @ 60 cycles seems to be one of the biggest killers because of the muscle contractions involved, I think this is because this a voltage that closely mimics our own system's muscular fequencies. Where a DC current of equal voltage is more likely to 'throw' you away from it, the alternating frequency is more likely to contract your muscles, this then causes the prolonged shocking that kills you, considering the heart muscle fires at mili-amps it is not hard to imagine what it takes to disrupt this irrevocably. Really high voltages can blow away body parts thereby breaking the circuit, ick, whatever... :( Taking this foregranted, using less care because it is 'lower' voltage has been the demise of more than a few, and yes, the amperage is a great factor but higher I believe just means quicker. Regardless, this is a force to be respected and reckoned with. Call me a 'safety slut' if you will, I don't muck with real power. I do apologise ahead of time if my facts aren't exact and of course stand to be corrected and ammended,np there eh! :D
Just my inane 0.02$ worth for the afternoon, time for a wee nip. :)

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
I've underbid at times always regret it.Usually hurrying looking before work or tired and looking at jobs after working all day maybe as it getting dark just suck it up do a good job and learn from it no sense in working if you end up in the hole bad for you and bad for the business.Yes,here to the power companies will disconnect the service but you have to give them like a week 10 days notice.But then try to get the cable and telephone companies to be there at the same time if those wires are in the way too,or get a ladder and take em down or tie them out of the way (but not the service!!!)

neighbours tree

"beowulf343: posted by We are in this business to make customers happy. You just flattened a tree belonging to a neighbor. Was he one of the ones who didn't want the trees taken down in the first place? You've just given him another excuse to dislike treemen. Thanks. And you left a couple loads of branches in his yard to make up for it? What is he going to do with those branches? Sounds like you talked him into taking them because they were "non-chippable" and thus more difficult to dispose of. Outfits i've worked for would fire you over something like this or at least make you pay to replace it. And especially a ca who should know better. Sure, accidents happen, but if you ruin something, replace it. I have lost a couple paychecks due to this, but at least the person whose property i damaged was happy. Makes me much more careful in a tree too."

beowulf343: just noticed your old post; just for clarity and to keep up a "treemans" good name, I did replace the tree and give them money on top for the inconvience of "pruning" their tree. Also, the origional tree should live so they will end up with two tree's. I also have them on my calander to follow up with although they were happy when I left them, even suggesting that replacing the tree was not needed. I should have mentioned that origionally but I assumed it was implied one would replace what they break in this business.
As far as leaving the branches; his yard was recently excavated by a small machine that did serious trenching and he expected to remove more debris soon. He was more then happy to have about a pickup load of chippable branches left and not pay for my three chains. I thought I might go back and retrieve it myself not becouse I "got one over on him" but rather as the optics; getting referals from the neighbours was diminished; who wants to call a company that leaves stuff in their yards? For that very reason I have since hauled stuff away, even though the customer wanted a price reduction for doing it themselfs.
I relieze my origional thread does not read well, but I do try to be very fair at all times. That is what I was trying, albiet poorly, to get at with my origional thread. Early In my business life I tried to approach all bids with the mindset of how little can I do it for not how much could I bill. This was out of a sense of fairness and not from being hungry for work; I have been blessed with lots of work.
I was also fishing to see how folks here approuched the customers who knew very well that they got to good of a deal and the service provider was going to eat it. thanks to replies, I beleive my answere to be; "be proffesional and not just a" good guy" tree service that expects poeple to do well by them as he does for them."

Thanks to advice on these pages I have been able to feel comfortable charging more and consequently working a bit less [not nearly less enouph for my wife mind you!] I am not a charity after all.

I also learned from this site when I have any doubt as to the clarity of what I am doing for a customer I will put it in writting. That has helped as I have been held Hostage for monies owed untill I do more work outside of the origional verbal agreements.
So to answere my own question for those reading the post, don't underbid in the first place, feel comfortable asking for what would be the worst case scenario not the best case. And obviously one must finish what they are contractually bound to do.
IN short, I now run a [although still in appereances an informal operation] a tighter ship and try not to leave matters up to peoples' good nature but spell things out before hand.
Well so ends this rant

Cheers SCott

neighbours tree

"beowulf343: posted by We are in this business to make customers happy. You just flattened a tree belonging to a neighbor. Was he one of the ones who didn't want the trees taken down in the first place? You've just given him another excuse to dislike treemen. Thanks. And you left a couple loads of branches in his yard to make up for it? What is he going to do with those branches? Sounds like you talked him into taking them because they were "non-chippable" and thus more difficult to dispose of. Outfits i've worked for would fire you over something like this or at least make you pay to replace it. And especially a ca who should know better. Sure, accidents happen, but if you ruin something, replace it. I have lost a couple paychecks due to this, but at least the person whose property i damaged was happy. Makes me much more careful in a tree too."

beowulf343: just noticed your old post; just for clarity and to keep up a "treemans" good name, I did replace the tree and give them money on top for the inconvience of "pruning" their tree. Also, the origional tree should live so they will end up with two tree's. I also have them on my calander to follow up with although they were happy when I left them, even suggesting that replacing the tree was not needed. I should have mentioned that origionally but I assumed it was implied one would replace what they break in this business.
As far as leaving the branches; his yard was recently excavated by a small machine that did serious trenching and he expected to remove more debris soon. He was more then happy to have about a pickup load of chippable branches left and not pay for my three chains. I thought I might go back and retrieve it myself not becouse I "got one over on him" but rather as the optics; getting referals from the neighbours was diminished; who wants to call a company that leaves stuff in their yards? For that very reason I have since hauled stuff away, even though the customer wanted a price reduction for doing it themselfs.
I relieze my origional thread does not read well, but I do try to be very fair at all times. That is what I was trying, albiet poorly, to get at with my origional thread. Early In my business life I tried to approach all bids with the mindset of how little can I do it for not how much could I bill. This was out of a sense of fairness and not from being hungry for work; I have been blessed with lots of work.
I was also fishing to see how folks here approuched the customers who knew very well that they got to good of a deal and the service provider was going to eat it. thanks to replies, I beleive my answere to be; "be proffesional and not just a" good guy" tree service that expects poeple to do well by them as he does for them."

Thanks to advice on these pages I have been able to feel comfortable charging more and consequently working a bit less [not nearly less enouph for my wife mind you!] I am not a charity after all.

I also learned from this site when I have any doubt as to the clarity of what I am doing for a customer I will put it in writting. That has helped as I have been held Hostage for monies owed untill I do more work outside of the origional verbal agreements.
So to answere my own question for those reading the post, don't underbid in the first place, feel comfortable asking for what would be the worst case scenario not the best case. And obviously one must finish what they are contractually bound to do.
IN short, I now run a [although still in appereances an informal operation] a tighter ship and try not to leave matters up to peoples' good nature but spell things out before hand.
Well so ends this rant

Cheers SCott

Back to the subject, there is a slime bag here in WNY who makes it a practice to quote a number to a client and then has no problem knocking on the door and telling the customer he went over on time and will need more money $$.

I think Beowolf worked for him briefly.

Back to the subject, there is a slime bag here in WNY who makes it a practice to quote a number to a client and then has no problem knocking on the door and telling the customer he went over on time and will need more money $$.

Now thats ballsy I guess some people have no shame......or pride

Ok-let's be clear here!! I only did 3 contract climbs for the guy. I worked for him very briefly-probably less than 12 hours total. He is something else.:dizzy: And the amazing thing is that i once saw him in action on my last job with him and the homeowner paid him, no questions asked! I don't know if that kind of response is normal for him or not. I think i would be too embarrassed to ask for more money.

But he's not the only one who does that. Was another guy here in my part of WNY, owned a tree company for over 20 years, would do the same thing. Yet he had more work than he knew what to do with! I think i said it earlier in this thread-guys like this just make it that much harder for us honest treemen.

thanks for the thoughts

Based on your posts and others here I am proubly guilty of trying to treat customers like I would my friends and neighbours and I need to adopt a more proffesional outlook with my business.
Max, your thoughts on wires are right I am not short of work so I do not need to take extra chances, my motivation was brought about from trying to be helpfull. HAving said that I would expect not to hit the wires but an expresion I like is :hope for the best but plan for the worst." I was wondering if anyone does know what would be reasonable to assume would not effect wires if something went wrong.
Clearence, just in case you misunderstood what i said earlier the trees were indeed spiked by me on the way up but they also had large 5 inch nails in them
thanks once again

You might end up changing the service to the house and structual repair. If the service mast looks old/weak then stay away from it. If everything went very wrong a damaged service mast could start a house fire.

A contractor is happy when they over bid and should not whine when they under bid. You are responsible to get it right.

He is just barely hanging on. I see him every once in a while at a bid opening. He has no help at all, he really is no competition at all anymore.

I thought about seeing him to buy him out, but there is nothing to buy (business anyway) I have more equipment than I need.

Now thats ballsy I guess some people have no shame......or pride

I too meant no offense to you :cheers: Beowulf you sound like a good guy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back