Where can I get logs for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I get plenty of Elm, Maple, Ash from my local Tree Services but I would like to get some Hickory, Cherry, Walnut, and Oak. These are not trees people have removed in my area. Where can I find and buy logs to use for firewood? What is the average cost and quantity I would need to purchase? I do not have a forklift but I can arange to have a skid loader here if needed. Any suggestions and help is apreciated.

Dale

Do have room for a log truck to come in and get out? If your driveway or the area is paved or concreat is it thick enough to handle have a very heavy truck rolling over it? Most drive ways are not and they crack all to pieces.

Hi Guy's

This is the main reason for other types of wood http://www.wisconsinfirewood.com/
I get calls from people who ask if I can supply them with an assortment of Oak, Cherry etc like Wisconsin Firewood can. I'd like to be able to say yes to a few. Wisconsin Firewood has a large marketing budget so they advertise in my area as well. I would like to offer my local customers the same types of wood. I explain to them that there is nothing wrong with Elm, Maple etc that I have a good supply of but they like the reputation that the other woods have as well. Oak and Cherry are the most asked for.

Dale

Ryan

I can arange for a drop off at a friends shop near by. I figure from there I can buck the logs smaller and trailer them here. Anyone roughly know the cost of buying from a logging outfit? I'll start calling around this week and see what I can come up with.

Dale

Where can I sign up for my $327 cord of white birch? I thought people were insane around here for paying $250 for a cord...

Cost is gonna depend mainly on how far the logger has to truck it and what log prices are like in your area. I don't know what logs are going for here at the moment but last time I spoke to another landclearers a couple of months ago he wanted $700 for a triaxle load of mixed hardwood (potluck)delivered w/in 20 miles, another hundred within 40 miles. A typical triaxle around here will have between 6-8 cords depending on how well loaded and how many crooked logs. Paying for wood is a losing proposition in the firewood business.

And remember the fewer times you handle the wood, the better.

What is Chiminea wood?? Lot of hours tied up in those piles of wood, it would drive me nuts splitting and handling that much wood. That self service pick-up thing is a different idea, wonder if they have a camera trained on that to catch those not so trusting people.

Larry

Last edited:
Newfie said:
Cost is gonna depend mainly on how far the logger has to truck it and what log prices are like in your area. I don't know what logs are going for here at the moment but last time I spoke to another landclearers a couple of months ago he wanted $700 for a triaxle load of mixed hardwood (potluck)delivered w/in 20 miles, another hundred within 40 miles. A typical triaxle around here will have between 6-8 cords depending on how well loaded and how many crooked logs. Paying for wood is a losing proposition in the firewood business.

And remember the fewer times you handle the wood, the better.

Thanks for the info. Having an idea of what it would cost for a load helps. I might try contacting local land owners with heavy wooded areas. Maybe they will let me haul out storm fallen trees.

Dale

Ax-man said:
What is Chiminea wood?? Lot of hours tied up in those piles of wood, it would drive me nuts splitting and handling that much wood. That self service pick-up thing is a different idea, wonder if they have a camera trained on that to catch those not so trusting people.

Larry

Good question, I've never heared of it. I think the owner lives on the property so theft may not be to much of a problem. I would feel uncomfortable about doing it. Some guy could come back and say a stack fell on him or his car and try sueing.

Dale

Latest posts

Back