Where do yall go cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hey everyone im kinda running out trees that need to come down. So what do I do when I run out as I need fire and milling wood? I dont have any friends with property.

I have found people that had their property logged. They usually let you clean up the tops. About 8 yrs back I got 80 cords of red oak from 10 acres that was logged. Im lucky now. I walk out my back door. I cut 20 crd of dead blk cherry into 16ft logs last year. I just started hauling them up to the shop. Cut split and stack. Should be done in a few more weeks. It keeps snowing and raining. The tractor cant come back up with the logs in the grapple if the hill is muddy.

The state recently opened a cutting area near me. Nice selection of mixed Fir, Hemlock and Alder.
Just got my third permit today.
b5474da3c6fa89bef17b7a9cd01763dd.jpg

55bb41e3a82bfac3369f5eb05bbbdf98.jpg

70841726810eeb12ef1bbe35903162d5.jpg

b74b548c797f2620ac74e7f6fd235fb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live on Vancouver Island. We go through a prolonged wet season in the winter, and right in the middle of it is a big windstorm or two. That's when neighbours run into trouble with their oak, sometimes maple, arbutus (Americans call them Madrona) or cedar getting knocked over. So I drive over to the neighbour's house and cut up the tree. Most winters that's how I resupply my firewood needs.

Hey everyone im kinda running out trees that need to come down. So what do I do when I run out as I need fire and milling wood? I dont have any friends with property.
Where I live I can cut all I'll ever need off of state and federal ground. In OK, that's tougher to do, although not impossible. If you live near a national forest, look into getting a firewood permit to cut there. It's $5/cord here, (although no one actually keeps track of how much you're cutting. It's all on the honor system) Also, keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. You'll see lots of ridiculous adds where people are wanting tree work done for the wood, but occasionally you'll find a some good wood on there. And in the mean time, make some more friends.

Where I live I can cut all I'll ever need off of state and federal ground. In OK, that's tougher to do, although not impossible. If you live near a national forest, look into getting a firewood permit to cut there. It's $5/cord here, (although no one actually keeps track of how much you're cutting. It's all on the honor system) Also, keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. You'll see lots of ridiculous adds where people are wanting tree work done for the wood, but occasionally you'll find a some good wood on there. And in the mean time, make some more friends.
5 bucks a cord. That's a great price.

Cool thanks. Yea I've seen some Craigslist adds most are either a ridiculous amount of work for crap wood or its pretty much rotten. Lol one recent one was a massive dead pine like 10ft from the dudes house. I'm sure he got a quote for professional removal and crapped himself. If I wouldn't touch it for less then 2500

Back