Where do yall go cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live on Vancouver Island. We go through a prolonged wet season in the winter, and right in the middle of it is a big windstorm or two. That's when neighbours run into trouble with their oak, sometimes maple, arbutus (Americans call them Madrona) or cedar getting knocked over. So I drive over to the neighbour's house and cut up the tree. Most winters that's how I resupply my firewood needs.
Yea we get some pretty bad ice storms here. They really do massive damage to the trees which im sure most that I've bein felling were victims of last years storm as there main trunk was broke 3/4 the way up. Some were you could tell were just going to die or partially had already. I do have 2 massive oaks I've bein debating on felling because one had carpenter ants pretty bad but I evicted them the other i need a little knowledge about as it has a large bundle of deadly mushrooms growing at the base which I've heard is not good.

I live on Vancouver Island. We go through a prolonged wet season in the winter, and right in the middle of it is a big windstorm or two. That's when neighbours run into trouble with their oak, sometimes maple, arbutus (Americans call them Madrona) or cedar getting knocked over. So I drive over to the neighbour's house and cut up the tree. Most winters that's how I resupply my firewood needs.
I do this - though I recently learned that, if someone asks you to check out a tree down, to see if you want it, and it's late and rainy and you've been cutting on the one across the street all day - you should still hike down into the dark and see if they know what they're talking about when they say "Sure you can get a truck down there." (Didn't think to ask if you could get it back *out*... ;) )

It’s pretty much an honor system here once a permit is required but I’ve never felt the need to take more than allowed. There are folks who take all they can just to sell and eventually it will just end up screwing things for everybody.
Already too many locked gates and ditched roads in this area because people can’t be trusted not to follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s pretty much an honor system here once a permit is required but I’ve never felt the need to take more than allowed. There are folks who take all they can just to sell and eventually it will just end up screwing things for everybody.
Already too many locked gates and ditched roads in this area because people can’t be trusted not to follow the rules.

As long as they are NOT cutting live healthy trees, who's to complain. We have so much dead standing and down wood, that firewood cutters are helping the forest. At least as far as we can get into it. Open those gates and let us help clean up the forest floor and let the healthy trees expand and grow without the dead interfering.

I cut on our own 80 acre woods in Ohio. I almost never cut any trees down unless they are diseased or invasive. We have enough blowdown and tops from selective harvesting to meet our needs. I cut 6 cords/year; relatives take another 2-4 cords. Species include the usual Ohio hardwoods: maple, oaks, beech, walnut, cherry, hickory, ash and locust.

Around here, the thing that's gets gates locked is folks abusing the ground and roads with ATV's (primarily side by sides) and 4x4's. There's far more dead and down wood than will be used before it rots (or burns).

Latest posts

Back