Where do you store your equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironsides

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Kentucky and I am interested in finding information about log splitters. I read through several pages of comments in this site on all the brands I was looking at: Huskee, Troy Bilt, etc. I happen to be within driving distance to Tractor Supply, Lowes and Home Depot and have seen all of their log splitters. One curious question keeps popping up in my mind: Every one of these stores keeps their log splitters laying outside, uncovered, in the weather. And every one of these new machines has rusted parts. Now I happen to think that is not a good way to care for some expensive machinery. I keep my tractor and snow blower in the garage and keep my two cars parked outdoors.

What do you guys have to say about this?

re: Where do you store your equipment.

I keep my splitter covered with a tarp outside.

Scalo, Do you ever have a problem with condensation? Heavy rain and/or snow cause dampness that can rust out machinery. Do you have this problem, at all?

Ironsides

I usually store my splitter inside.The metal parts are thick enough that rust through is no a problem as long as the slide area is kept oiled. The main problem with storing outside is the hydraulic hoses will deteriorate quicker. The rubber and plastic parts on the motor will also deteriorate quicker in the sun.

i keep mine in unheated building, water can build up in pockets of tubing, bolt holes etc, freeze & split.

Everyone seems to agree that storing outside is OK if the machine is covered. Wonder what your opinion would be of all those major stores Tractor Supply, Lowes and Home Depot storing the unsold machines outside with no cover?

Some of these "New" machines looked like they were old and used and not cared for very well.

Ironsides

Mine is outside covered with a tarp. I keep it open on the bottom so air can blow up under there to keep it dry. I have it blocked up on cement blocks to raise it for less bending over and to keep the tires off the dirt.

I just leave it outside uncovered like this. I Don't even worry about the paint or the engine.:ices_rofl:

You keep treating it that way and it will only last until your great,great,great,grandson gets it handed down to him.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Mine was one of those machines that were outside, it works fine, and it has since spent life in a lean-to with the wood it split.

Last edited:
I just leave it outside uncovered like this. I Don't even worry about the paint or the engine.:ices_rofl:

I read once of a type of steel girder material called Core-10. It formed a layer of rust that actually protected the rest of the metal. That splitter you have looks like it would last 100 years in any weather. What does it weigh - about 3000 lbs?

Ironsides

Latest posts

Back