where to get a slab of black walnut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My dad wants to mount his buffalo head on a 2" slab of black walnut that is about 2'X4'. Anyone know where to get a piece like this?

I had some antlers for mounting, and my buddy just gave away A STACK of slabs like you are talking about. Made me sick. I can see if there is any left where he gave them to. I know shipping would not be feasible though. They were beautiful, and properly cured though.

RB, I'd PM Aggie, he seems to be in the loop with the other millers here and could maybe point ya in the right direction for such a thing.
Just a thought as I seem to recall several threads on milling walnut.

:cheers: (a buffalo's head?? eek! (jk jk) )

Serge

I had some antlers for mounting, and my buddy just gave away A STACK of slabs like you are talking about. Made me sick. I can see if there is any left where he gave them to. I know shipping would not be feasible though. They were beautiful, and properly cured though.

Well, my dad is in Montana (where the buffalo roam). So shipping would not be all the way out here to Virginia.

My dad wants to mount his buffalo head on a 2" slab of black walnut that is about 2'X4'. Anyone know where to get a piece like this?

Yes, I do, but shipping would be a beech. It would have to go truck freight on a pallet.

My buddy Lester has about 8 or 10 of them, although I think we went 3" thick. I slabbed them for him a couple of years ago.

Mark

Yes, I do, but shipping would be a beech. It would have to go truck freight on a pallet.

My buddy Lester has about 8 or 10 of them, although I think we went 3" thick. I slabbed them for him a couple of years ago.

Mark

I remember seeing those slabs a couple of years ago, They are a sight to behold!

Mark

How about you bring one to the AS GTG at my house?:cheers:

I have some, but they are crotches, roughly 60" long and they are 18"-20" on the small end, 26-28" on the large end. I think all the slabs are 3", but I may have one 2" slab. Air dried 18 months. If you're interested, I'll measure & take pics. They are rough & not planed; My planer is 12.5".

I can cut one out if you don't find one anywhere else. I have a 33" walnut log out next to the mill, I have been trying to figure out how I was going to get it on the mill. Its a 14 footer and I didn't want to have to cut it shorter, but I don't think there is any way around it. It's too heavy for the log loader.

The backhoe can't even lift it up!

I have some, but they are crotches, roughly 60" long and they are 18"-20" on the small end, 26-28" on the large end. I think all the slabs are 3", but I may have one 2" slab. Air dried 18 months. If you're interested, I'll measure & take pics. They are rough & not planed; My planer is 12.5".

How much do they weigh? I'm just thinking I could bring it out to him next time I visit.

Latest posts

Back