where to order a hundred evergreen trees for blocking my view .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsergison

Reaction score
I'm in East Peoria Illinois. zone 5. 4 wooded acres. the property line is a low spot and very wet all spring. clay type soil. voluntary cedar seems to do well but they are so slow growing and thin.

next door is a car repair place. people get towed there, and abandon their cars when the cost of repair is to high. it takes a few months to legally deal with them. It looks like hell in the winter when the leaves are off. unfortunately my house is higher so I need 10 to 20 feet tall not to see over.

I want a LOT of trees delivered. not beautiful or perfect yard trees, just a lot of dense evergreen type to plant in a staggered line along my 300 foot wooded boundary. as such they will only get morning sun due to existing 40' trees in my wood line to the west. I will thin it back as much as I can to make room for the new trees.

I had heard I should find a east coast nursery and order rouge trees or something like that... the unsalable split trunks etc..
I would like about a hundred of them by truck.

any recommendations who to call?

thank you
Dan

Last edited:
I'm in East Peoria Illinois. zone 5. 4 wooded acres. the property line is a low spot and very wet all spring. clay type soil. voluntary cedar seems to do well but they are so slow growing and thin.

They would not be so slow growing and thin if they were in more ideal conditions.

next door is a car repair place. people get towed there, and abandon their cars when the cost of repair is to high. it takes a few months to legally deal with them. It looks like hell in the winter when the leaves are off. unfortunately my house is higher so I need 10 to 20 feet tall not to see over.

I want a LOT of trees delivered. not beautiful or perfect yard trees, just a lot of dense evergreen type to plant in a staggered line along my 300 foot wooded boundary. as such they will only get morning sun due to existing 40' trees in my wood line to the west. I will thin it back as much as I can to make room for the new trees.

The problem is that there are no evergreens that grow well in the conditions you describe. The fastest growing conifers are going to be something like a hydrid cedar. The problem is these are very intolerant of heavy wet soils. These those are still only going to grow around 4 feet a year. They will tolerate worse soil and more flooding if they make it to an older age. If they do make it, they will not grow nearly as well in the heavy soil as they would in a better soil.

You have lots of very fast growing options that will be tolerant of your conditions, if your willing to take something deciduous.

Jamie

I think I might trench in drain tile and/or amend my soil then. get a few tricks of topsoil added. or at least chip a bunch of current trees into a bit of a berm. then plant on the berm?

I left message with a county forester office. I hope he will be able to come take a look.

thanks for the replies so far

I think I might trench in drain tile and/or amend my soil then. get a few tricks of topsoil added. or at least chip a bunch of current trees into a bit of a berm. then plant on the berm?

I left message with a county forester office. I hope he will be able to come take a look.

thanks for the replies so far

That might help them get established, but they will never really grow well in that location. In my area here in Wisconsin where we have pretty heavy clay that drains fairly slowly. Many people planted various conifers and spruce all over the city here back in the 60's and 70's and I've watched most of them die slowly over the past couple decades. With enough soil modification and care you will get them to grow, but I doubt you see them thrive overtime. I'm not saying you can't make it happen, but your likely to have more young plants die, see slower growth and a reduced lifespan.

I can imagine that situation and understand why you want the conifers there. I have a similar situation here in a part of my yard. There were some cedars planted many years ago to block the view, they grew to about 25 feet tall after 40 years, but have been looking pretty bad for the past 20.

You might consider planting deciduous trees that grow very fast and will get a very dense branch structure, There are types of Willows and Poplars that grow very quickly and they are able to put on 10 feet or more of growth a year. Just no leaves in the winter.

If you truck in top soil you might consider packing it well (track roll it in layers with a 6+ tonne excavator or dozer) and put in a drainage ditch on the bottom side. That way they will be less likely to tip over in the wind. Poking willow or poplar poles in the ground in spring would be easy on the pocket (free plus your time) and quick to give you height. Another slower cheap option may be douglas fir seedlings? Not sure in your area but over here they grow on road verges like weeds and can be easily transplanted when 1foot high.

If money is not an issue a nursery should sell you suitable bigger trees eg 8 foot high in pots. You could also just get an excavator in and make a big berm to disappear your problem neighbor. Quick, permanent, and if you dry hire the machine and drive it yourself, not that expensive. Roading companies may even provide free dirt if they are clearing slips or widening road nearby. Good luck.

I think a row of school buses would work. If need be, paint them green so they blend in. You can pull the seats out and use the inside space for storage.

Problem solved. :D

Hope you have deep pockets, 6' trees are about $100ea here.

Latest posts

Back