which 046 carburetor is the best one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlhead fishing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I see an "HD-8A", "HD-14A", and "HD-16" listed on the saw spec sheet. I also notice the ms460 list all "HD-16" type. So I'm kinda expecting to hear my option being an 8 or 14.
Does anyone know which is the best choice for a ported exhaust? The port job is only about an eighth inch off each wall, I left the rest alone.
Also, does an "HD-17A" have suitable capabilities. I know the 17A is for an 044/440, but that's all I had next to me while I was slapping this thing together. It runs it like crazy, but I have no way of comparing it to any other carbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20150116_033157.jpg
    IMG_20150116_033157.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 89
WELCOME!
I don't know anything about differences in those carbs but I have an MS461, an 044 and several carbs. Come on up and see me sometime, bring your saw and we'll have some fun!
Steelhead fishing here is GREAT!

WELCOME!
I don't know anything about differences in those carbs but I have an MS461, an 044 and several carbs. Come on up and see me sometime, bring your saw and we'll have some fun!
Steelhead fishing here is GREAT!

I really enjoy steelhead fishing and working on my saws. But I'm not that enthusiastic about it.

Using the bigger carb should give you a performance increase. Most of the 70cc & up saws use a 17.46 venturi carb. Have noticed the smaller carb on 046 and the old 371 Husky. I replaced the HD6 15.08 on my 371 w/HD12 17.46. Most of the guys (including me)running Dolmar 7900's replace the 16mm C3 carb with the Husky HD12 for more power.
Shep

I would totally do that, if I were playing with Lego's. Thanks for your help.
Nothing wrong with what Redoakman recommended I run a HD-16 on my 50cc ms260 it doesn't have to be for that saw to work great.

The bigger venturi carb is what I would go with for performance as you can always add more fuel and the venturi(air) is going to be the limiting factor.

Here's a list that someone made up back when I had hair.

View attachment 1050248
Remembering this list.
The last two I'm pretty sure have the triple high speed feed ports that cross over in the low speed jet well. They should have that oval welch plug inside on the main body like the 361 carbs have on later model offerings.

Back