Which 066 case will work for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladrhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in need of a flywheel case half. I went to my local saw shop that had a crapload of old saws and found 3 cases that look like they will work but have different part numbers.
My original case is 11220210705
nuhehute.jpg

And here are the three others
e6u3y6ud.jpg
unu8ysad.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/03/29/5y2aqa9y.jpg
Two of the cases are 11220210700 but with a different pattern for the coil and a different sized crank. The other is 11220210764. I can't find these numbers on my ipl. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is there a difference between the 064 and 066 case. I thought they were basically the same. I have looked in the ill's and can't find any of the part numbers

There is some small differences in the early 66 cased and the 64. You can use the 66 case with the proper flywheel and coil combo.

The more research I do the more I am confused.

Ladrhog, there are a number of flywheel & coil combinations. Add the fact that the 064 uses a similar case with the 1122 prefix but is different than the 066 = confusion. Also, there are short n long framed 066/660's so u need to make sure that whatever case u get is the same length, has the same oiler and has the same size crank diameter on the flywheel side (aluminum vs poly).
It looks like the second pic has the same coil bolt pattern, but you will need to check the pto side and see what type of oiler it has. The 066 has a bolt on oiler that uses internal channels to feed the bar. If the one u r looking at has a hose coming out the oiler to feed the bar it's an 064.
If no one has already mentioned, u should be looking for a complete case. I have a dozen case halves n NO two pair match just right except the two that came together from the factory. Stihl must machine the top surface to the jug to ensure a perfect surface.
I have the media cat file for 066 n 064's. I'll post what they have for case part numbers later today.

Ladrhog, looked at the two versions of IPL's I had and none of them gave case halves part number. Just the main # for item 1 in illustration.

Not sure if Brad Snelling or PioneerGuy are monitoring the thread but they might be able to help with a list of case pairs that would work for you.

Jon

here are some more pictures. after tearing it down I am really upset. looks like the piston as well as the cylinder have been damaged. and someone took a grinder to. the flywheel side case seal leaks too. I can't figure out what could cause the marks on the piston. maybe a broken ring
IMG_1144.jpg IMG_1145.jpg IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1149.jpg IMG_1152.jpg

Had something similar on my 064. Damaged the transfer port and left the piston top and cylinder pitted. Not sure what the cause was. Rod bearing, piston ring pin, or something that fell in. Wound up replacing crank, piston and cylinder.

From what I can see in your picts this saw has been run with poor lube or too lean. There is aluminum smear just below the exhaust port and heat discoloration in that area, the crank and crankcase look far too dry for a saw that has just been torn down. Those cases tell me they have been forced apart previously by someone without proper tools or enough experience to likely change out a blown bearing or from the look of the piston the big end rod bearing failed previously and was replaced on the cheap.
My suggestion would to be to find a good matched set of cases and fix this saw up right. Finding individual case halves that match for 066`s can be very difficult, most times the deck heights will be mismatched, that also means the crank bores are out of alignment even though the crank can be forced in it will always be out of alignment and cause uneven loading on the rod big end bearing and a uneven load/pressure on the wrist pin bearing with that pressure transferred to the piston.

It is proving very difficult to find a set of cases. I have found one set but it has a poly flywheel on it and I believe it won't work for my application part number on it is 1122 021 0764

It is proving very difficult to find a set of cases. I have found one set but it has a poly flywheel on it and I believe it won't work for my application part number on it is 1122 021 0764

No, Poly cases won't work.....You have to find a set for the aluminum flywheel.

I looked through my stash, and only have some case halves......I haven't had any luck getting mismatched Stihl case halves to match up on the cylinder deck surface though.

Thanks for looking. I found 10 sets of 064 cases

Thanks for looking. I found 10 sets of 064 cases

I suggest you just be patient and wait....A set will turn up.

I went through this awhile ago. I needed a set of MS460 cases and suddenly there were none to be had......Once I found a set, they seemed to be a dime a dozen after that.....A set will turn up.

Latest posts

Back