Which Axles for Trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Hello all

I just picked up an old 14' x 6 1/2' dual axle utility trailer, but it has old house trailer axles on it (illegal here). I knew that going in, but the cost for the trailer was only $350 so I figured that I could spring for a pair of axles.

The trailer is solidly built and probably weighs over 1500 lbs, so once I put 3' walls on it I will be able to load 2.13 cords of wood.

I mainly burn jack pine which has a dry (seasoned) weight of 2,669# per cord. 2.13 cords of dry jack pine weighs in at ±5,685# (the wood is seasoned before I bring it home).

The weight of the trailer and the wood would put me at 7,185 lbs (at least), so a pair of 3,500# axles will not be enough.

That leaves me with a choice of 5,200# axles or 6,000# axles (the next available sizes up).

If I go with 5,200# axles I will have a capacity of 8,900# (10,400 - 1,500). With 2.13 cords of wood on the trailer I will have 3,215# of available load capacity remaining.

If I go with 6,000# axles I will have a capacity of 10,500# (12,000 - 1,500). With 2.13 cords of wood I will have 4,815# of available load capacity remaining.

I do not plan on hauling much else on this trailer except for my current tractor which is less than 4,400# and probably some junk/scrap/etc from clearing operations around the house. The heaviest load that I need to carry should be the wood.

Here are my questions.

Which axles do you recommend?

If I go for the 6,000# axles, will the extra 4,815# of capacity make the ride too rough when I am carrying my maximum weight (the firewood)?

Would I be better off with the 5,200# axles as this would put me nearer my capacity and give me a smoother ride and less wear on the trailer? (I figure there would be less wear since the 5,200# axles would be less stiff and would absorb bumps better)

The price is negligible (the 6,000# axles are actually $50 cheaper for the pair), so it is just a matter of which axles would be better suited to my purpose.

Thanks

PS .....

Both sets include brakes all-round (I skipped right over the single brake sets as they are not a consideration).

Your only going to be 185 lbs. over the rating of a set of 3500 lb axles. I wouldn't worry about that. If you are concerned about the 185 lbs. then get the 6k axles, and put 4' sideboards on the trailer, but make sure you have enough truck to handle it.
I have a 14000 gvwr gooseneck that consistantly weighs between 16000 & 18000 lbs.
There's more to consider than just axle rating.

Andy

Yep, the only thing around my place with less than 10 ply tires is my wife's car. I run 10 ply on my little 7000 lb car hauler, because I never know what I'll be putting on it. Like my 8000 lb skid steer.:laugh:

Andy

going to have to spend more for heavier sidewall tires..

Yep. The wheels double the cost (after taxes are added up). :D

I am going to figure out a way to either get it to a truck scale or weigh it here at home. Maybe 3,500# axles can be considered - that would almost cut my costs in half. If it is anywhere near my original estimate I will go for the heavier axles. Maybe I can get away with 3,500# axles and overload them a bit, but I won't put something on the road in that condition when I could just spend a bit more and run the trailer within its capacity. :D

I wouldn't worry about overloading the axles as much as the frame. Unless your truck is at least a 3/4 or 1 ton you have no business hauling much more weight than that.

I have an f450 and a tandem dualed goose rated at 20K and we regularly haul over 30K on it. Your more limited by stopping power as to weight than downforce on the axles.

I wouldn't worry about overloading the axles as much as the frame. Unless your truck is at least a 3/4 or 1 ton you have no business hauling much more weight than that.

I have an f450 and a tandem dualed goose rated at 20K and we regularly haul over 30K on it. Your more limited by stopping power as to weight than downforce on the axles.

I will be pulling it with a 2000 F250 SD 4x4 with the 7.3L PSD.

Once the brakes on the truck get near the end of their useful life I will be replacing them with Powerslot Rotors & Hawk Brake Pads. I will be getting a trans temp gauge in a couple of weeks and will also be getting some upgrades done to the transmission (incl the TC). I have an aftermarket Class V hitch on the truck as well.

No matter the axle rating that I end up with on the trailer, they will all have electric brakes.

Back