Which big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look at something like a 56 mag 2 or a 051.

The 056 and 051 are good saws but at this point old. I think the op has better options out there instead of selling 1 old saw for another old saw. If that was the case then he should just keep the 8500. For a 600 budget you should be able to find a nice 9010,066,385/390/395, 7900

I picked this little jewel up today for $150 and all it needs is a fuel line behind the muffler, a new chain brake band, and a long bar and chain.

FirstHusqvarna005.jpg

of course you can't go wrong with this either, picked it up for $250
aspics001-1.jpg

Where I live the 660 fits most of your requirements better than most the other saws. The 395 comes in second. Not much aftermarket or even used parts for the Dolmar or the Echo. I went with 660s because of the amount of used parts availible and the pricing is always better. Where you live it might be different in terms of availiblity and pricing.

The only other saw that fits most of your requirements would be the 075/076 1111 series Stihls. Plenty of aftermarket and used parts and better power to run a 42" bar. The draw back being weight and the bulk. Good milling machine as well. I use a 660 on my mill with 28" of cut and if I build a larger one I will use one of the 1111 series saws. I looked up the price for an aftermarket clutch for a friends 051 and it could be purchased and delevered to his house for $50.00. 051s do not have the power for a 42" bar, in my opinion. Best to stick with the 075/076, there as common as ticks if you look for them. They can be a little sloooooow, for some folks. Get a yellow sign, Slow Saw At Work, or replace the various governors and buy extra parts.

084-880 the 1124 series of Stihls are good saws but to expensive in the used market and the aftermarket parts just are not there. The 045-056 1115 series saws can be had cheap but parts can be an issue, I consider them more of a collectors saw. Not to mention the only on that would work for you is a 056 Super Mag 2 or whatever it is called, the biggest displacement P/C. The 1100-2101 Huskys, great saw but sourcing parts is expensive and time consuming.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this. Since you say it will be for disaster relief, etc., what do the people you'd be working with use? For example, does the local fire dept. use MS 460 Rescue saws? If so, you may be able to borrow or beg a spare bar nut from them if you lose one. What about know how? If the rescue dept uses Husky, they may know how to rig up a fuel line in case yours splits. May be good to ask around at local saw shops, see what the most prevalent pitch and gauge of chains used is and make sure you have those.

Just something to think about.

I picked this little jewel up today for $150 and all it needs is a fuel line behind the muffler, a new chain brake band, and a long bar and chain.

FirstHusqvarna005.jpg

of course you can't go wrong with this either, picked it up for $250
aspics001-1.jpg

I'm starting not to like you. :msp_angry: Both are great finds.

I like the 394/395 for a 36" to 42" bar. I like them even better when they are ported. I sold a freshly rebuilt and ported 394 for a only a few more bills then your budget a week before Christmas. With just a modded muffler they'll pull a 42" with no problem.

A 660 could do the job but with that big of a bar and doing repeated bucking that disaster cleanup calls for you'll like the AV of the 394/395 a whole lot better.

Thanks gents, but someone brought up an old thread.

I've got a stumpbroke Husqvarna 372 that'll pull a 36" noodling in hedge (normally wears a 24") that's my main saw, and for my big saw, I've got a soon to be stumpbroke Husqvarna 3120xp and a Stihl 075 that's getting the works in the stumpshack as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions

I sure liked my 066 much better than my 076 super. It would out cut it as well as weighing much less. And the 076 had been checked out by a reputable Stihl dealer as "running as it should". I kind of agree with what some others that have found, this series saw seems dog for it's size.

If I were running a 36" bar a 90 cc saw would be it. I'd go 066/660 or 394/395. If I was going to run 42" and bigger bars I'd go 088/880 or 3120 for a new saw. Otherwise for only the occasional big tree I'd go Mac 125, Homelite 750 or Stihl 090 all of which are cheaper (about half if shopped for wisely) than the 880 and 3120 style saws.

I owned and used a couple of Husky 2100's and to me they were slower than my 066 in wood under 30" but had noticeably more torque and worked better with 42" bars than the 066 did with a 36" bar.

One problem with the old Stihls is ignition parts like finding a coil for 056's and 084's. And as has been mentioned before, finding a good cylinder for a Husky 2100 is a bit difficult.

Back