Which carabiners to buy nowadays?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Did a little searching but all of the posts are several years old. What do you guys recommend for life support carabiners? The selection is overwhelming - there are all kinds of different shapes, styles, materials, gate mechanisms, etc. What's good? Price is less of a concern than quality here obviously.

I use both triple action and ball detent caribiners usually Petzl. I usually get them at the outdoor coop here because they are a little cheaper than the arborist supply. I use aluminum. As to shapes, I guess it's personal preference after you've done it awhile to determine what works for you.

I only use steel for rigging.

I use rated wire gate biners for light rigging, carrying gear on my harness, building 3:1's. Don't use it for life support because your ropes can twist it and open the gate. However, if I had to quickly get out of a tree, I wouldn't be afraid to use it with an 8.

Rock Exotica for all my lockers. My non-lockers are Petzl Ange L. I don't like the ball lock because they are hard to use with gloves and I prefer the pull down and twist mechanism Rock Exotica uses versus the push up and twist of others. I use stainless steel on the end of the climb line and lanyard so I can throw it easily.

Back