Which chainsaw for this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolarisWes

Reaction score
Hello all, I just recently purchased a house and in the back yard is 2 enormous trees (both already down). The base is roughly 60-80 inch's around and lay roughly 100 feet long?? Major estimates there, they are huge. Both pine trees. I'm looking to cut them up and move them either off of my property or burn them in a fire pit. I had an estimate of a company to remove 1 of them from my property for 500 dollars, 800 for the both. I'm young and in shape I figure why cant I do this myself and get a nice saw out of it in the process instead of throwing my money at another person. Any suggestions on the type of saw/how large the bar has to be/model# or how to go about this? I have a truck and an ATV to aid in the matter.

If I was close which I am not,I would be interested in the logs for my mill. As long as there is no iron in the logs you may be able to find a guy with a small mill that may take most of it and cut the rest up for you for free.I do not use pine for firewood,but I do use 8 foot to 16 foot logs,for my mill.
Try Craigslist,you might luck out and find someone to take them for boards. Or you could bring someone in to mill them into boards and pay them so much a board foot. That would be pretty cheap lumber and you could sell it or use it.
But remember once it is cut into cordwood lengths it will not make boards.Hope this helps.

STIHL ms 460 or 660. 20-25 inch bar. STIHL rsc chain 3/8. buy 2 chains. I would recommend another stihl saw but a little small for doing this job.

Do you have ppe (personal protective equipment)?

60-80" circumference would only be 19-25.5" in diameter. I would use a 60-70cc saw running a 20-24" bar on that. Someone with experience could cut that up with a 50cc saw running a 16" bar and not damage himself or bar & chain.

Last edited:
If you don't want to purchase, you can rent a 64cc Makita 6401 at Home Depot Rentals for the day and get-r-done. Also, check local rental and hardware stores for chainsaw rentals.

If you've never used a saw before, get someone to help you and/or watch all 5 chapters:

STIHL Video Library - Chapter 1: Chain Saw Features

Also, as mentioned, wear your PPE: chaps, steel toes, gloves, eye & ear protection.

Yes treepointer that is a fair assessment 30-40 inch in diameter, that is large to me being very new to this. Just looking to get some pointers. Protective gear will be purchased before attempting this. So how does a 20 inch bar get through 40 inch in diameter? cut half on one side and half on the other?

So how does a 20 inch bar get through 40 inch in diameter? cut half on one side and half on the other?

That's about it. Cut on both sides. Flip/rotate log with cant hook/timberjack/logjack/peavy and then cut some more. Plastic wedges help to keep tree from pinching bar.

CAUTION: cutting in wood longer than the bar increases chance of bar kickback. (see videos)

good information to get me started thanks all I have much more to look into but this is a good base. thanks

If you have time, post a picture or two. We may be able to give you more tips.

We may tell you that it's not for a novice and to get help. For example, some trees that aren't fully on the ground need to be roped/chained and made safer before cutting. Some trees that are on the ground have surprises.

I might suggest you see if anyone around with experience could help you, saw are very dangerous. No one came out of the womb knowing how to cut trees it"s learned, please get help. See if you have a county arborist or a college, university Forrest program that might help. Just thinking out loud.

Back