which chainsaw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ya want stihl my 361 is my new go to saw for just about everything now. It was my 372xp but it gets to be too much with the 28" bar.

9eff040a22bacc030d7db26f8f92771e.jpg

Just a little 562xp update, I took mine back again to the shop for the 4th time because it kept dying in the cut on me and hesitating really bad. We ended up on the phone with Husqvarna. Come to find out when the husqvarna dealer put a new coil and carb on the saw they didn't know to do the calibration run in procedure of running in wide open in wood for 4 minutes. We have now done this and so far it's like it's a different saw. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm not having good 372 luck. My bottom end bearing cage came apart and ended up in the top end. It has about an hour on it since I bought it freshly rebuilt.

Got an early 562 been abusing since 2012. No issues but you have to fast idle Em when hot or they won't start. I'm guessing that's 90% of the problems with it I cursed it until I figured out you MUST fast idle it or she won't start when hot... hell if you have no idea what saw to get you must get a 3120xp ms880 or an old zip homelite

I don't have that starting issue with my 562 but mine was dying in the cut. They said the diaphragms were stretched and rebuilt the carb.

A 660 with a 20 probably cuts pretty fast. I myself like a 362 for general ground work, or a johnny 2166 modified.

365 Specials, the old ones.

Best, most durable and dependable midsize saws I've run with a twenty inch bar.

I believe they do have the 372 bottom end.

No stinkin computerization!

They love high octane racing fuel with the silver bottle Stihl mix too.

jomoco

Lots of negative feedback about the 562's here. I bought one about 8 months ago and haven't had an issue other than breaking one of the engine cover clips. I have quite a few hours on it now, and it's running strong... and loud lol.

Limbing is such a subjective term. I dont mind a 50cc saw if all im doing is limbing. But if its limb and buck, just grab the 44 and get er dun. Ive had the same issues with the 562 and the 550: good saws in theory, but shop pigs. wont idle, and just never quite right.
I see almost no point to the new 441. It weighs EXACTLY what a 461 does with less displacement and power. This may not have been true of 044 vs 046 or 440 vs 460.

What the heck is the difference between the 441 cm and cq? There's a price and hp difference but why? It's the same block right?

The cm and the c-mq are the basically the same. The 'q' has an additional chain brake and better saw for a pro. They are both good saws. BTW, same hp,, The 'm' just means it is computerized.
Jeff :)

Limb Saws.png
This chart compares the most popular "limbing saws". Major factors include reliability, cutting speed, and comfort. If I'm doing a lot of ground cutting, I'll grab my MS261 because it's so light and manageable. If a little bigger wood is involved, I'll start up the MS362. It cuts effortlessly. Something with the anti-vibration that makes it super smooth. Some of my guys go for the Echo CS500P. It's so light and the handle is "grippy", you can wing it around like it's nothing. The Echo tends to vibrate more and idles a bit erradically. If you jump up to a 70cc saw like the MS441 or Husq 562XP you'll be dealing with a heavier saw.

David Steg said it in two words with "Stihl MS261"

View attachment 375473
This chart compares the most popular "limbing saws". Major factors include reliability, cutting speed, and comfort. If I'm doing a lot of ground cutting, I'll grab my MS261 because it's so light and manageable. If a little bigger wood is involved, I'll start up the MS362. It cuts effortlessly. Something with the anti-vibration that makes it super smooth. Some of my guys go for the Echo CS500P. It's so light and the handle is "grippy", you can wing it around like it's nothing. The Echo tends to vibrate more and idles a bit erradically. If you jump up to a 70cc saw like the MS441 or Husq 562XP you'll be dealing with a heavier saw.

David Steg said it in two words with "Stihl MS261"

Bunch of gobbly-goop,,,
Jeff :laugh:

Back