Which first Saw? It's about time!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is getting too complicated and used saws do need some work and may have unexpected problems, to keep it simple stick with the first reply to your post, Stihl 261c, no carb adjustments needed, get with 6pack hp ultra and have 2 years warranty, should have nuts to do all your jobs and then the occasional bigger ones. And its new. then you can tinker with getting a used bigger saw down the road for kicks, like a 440 or 372.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up finding a good deal on my local Craigslist on a Stihl MS260 with 18" bar. Picked it up for $300. Started it up and ran good. Came with case and wrench. I'm going to go grab some chains and oil tomorrow at my local shop and have a go at her if the weather cooperates. Again, thanks for all the help. Great bunch of members here.

And now for the pictures:
VCT76VRAOrfC6GZ3zGA0asbbPfGZa23QQrucWO4U0GY=w600-h399-no

Stihl+260+2.jpg

Stihl+260+3.jpg

Stihl+260+4.jpg

Stihl+260+5.jpg

I LOVE my 026 I have a feeling you'll feel the same about your MS 260.

Does it have H/L adjustments on carb or just L?

Why do I sense a Muffler Mod in the near future??

It doesn't have the "Pro" stickers on it, so it only has the L carb adjustment and no decompression valve. For the price I got it and the use I'll give it, it will be more than enough. But I'll probably switch out to a fully adjustable carb down the road when it needs some maintenance, maybe port it and do a muffler mod. Pretty much everything I'd do to my Honda CR250 :rock:.

Now to keep my eye out for a 70 CC saw.. OH NO, IT's STARTING!!!

Pretty sure I just hurt my 445's feelings by oogling yer new saw. And yeah, once you start fillin yer shoe with chips you'll start snarkin the 70s, if yer not already. Nice job.

Pretty sure I just hurt my 445's feelings by oogling yer new saw. And yeah, once you start fillin yer shoe with chips you'll start snarkin the 70s, if yer not already. Nice job.
As long as your 445's not in the room with you, you're all good. You can look all you want, just can't touch right? :)
There's a 441 on my local CL right now I already sent them a message on.. geesh!! I have that addictive personality when it comes to toys.

you can buy some nice pro saws for under $400 if you don't mind used. Both my Dolmar 7900 and Husky 372XP were priced at $375. I thought they both represented very good value for the money. The Dolmar is an animal. I have not yet had a chance to use the Husky. The 38cc Quake is no slouch with a easy muff. Mod. It will noodle but not as fast as the dolly.
View attachment 344557 View attachment 344563 View attachment 344564 View attachment 344565
Wait till you run the husky, you may even pee yourself! That is a heck of a buy for less than $400.

Looks like you made a great buy. Since this is your only saw, (for now), I would go and buy either a 16" or 20" bar and chain for it. You can use whichever bar suits your needs but if you get your saw stuck, you can just use your other bar and chain to get it unstuck.

Wait till you run the husky, you may even pee yourself! That is a heck of a buy for less than $400.

That's rite. Better listen to what he's sayin, Hawk. Don't even go near a 372, specially if it's already broken in.

I may actually go smaller than the 260 before I go bigger.. new plan is a 3 saw plan. Small (30cc), Medium (50cc - MS260), Big (70CC abouts). But we'll see which best deal comes along first. In the meantime I need to get some wood processed.

I may actually go smaller than the 260 before I go bigger.. new plan is a 3 saw plan. Small (30cc), Medium (50cc - MS260), Big (70CC abouts). But we'll see which best deal comes along first. In the meantime I need to get some wood processed.

Interesting. Others will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think you may have it wrong. 50/70/90 is more likely, w/ 18"/24"/32" bars waitin their turns. Lmao. You went from a possible 1-saw plan to 3, and are thinkin about a 30cc saw!

Video of some cookies would be nice.

I know.. I know. It will change 5 more time in the next two days as well. You wouldn't be surprised how hard it is to type in a straightjacket.

I can't fathom needing a 90cc saw, hence the smaller 30cc (for the wife).

Latest posts

Back