Which Fiskars 28 or 36?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Which Fiskars do you guys like - the 4 1/4 lb 28" handle or the 4 lb 36" handle? Is your choice based on how tall you are?

Thanks

nope. i am still not sure i care for them yet...all i have used them for so far is to drive felling wedges.

5' 10" and very happy with the 28" (took a while to get used to it and the righting swing style).

Nothing this year that I had trouble splitting that wasn't something that wouldn't have been noodled or thrown in the "give to neighbor with log splitter" pile using standard maul and wedge 'n sledge before.

Might in the future buy the X27 out of morbid curiousity, but sort of like my desire for a Dolmar 7900...I don't see an actual need for it.

I am 5'10"and I have both. I like being able to stand back a bit further when swinging and not have to worry about hitting a lower extremity. You do have to use a proper swing technique with both of them too. I just bend at the knees when swinging and aim straight through to the ground. Not an arcing swing towards your feet.
I prefer the X27 and I will let the teenagers use the 28" ones that I have.

I now have both. The 28" always makes me worry about my feet and it is shartp. I haven't had a chance to use the 36" yet, but it feels much better.

Which Fiskars do you guys like - the 4 1/4 lb 28" handle or the 4 lb 36" handle? Is your choice based on how tall you are?

Thanks

I like the longer x27 (in fairness, I have only handled the x25s in the store). I do have a 28" 7859 Fiskars pro splitting ax with the 2.x lb. head and like it for the lighter stuff. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with the shorter x25 and heavier 4.x lb head because I'd be swinging harder.

Yes. I bought the x27 because I am 6'3"

I'm 6'-2" and have had more than a few close calls with the 28". When the X27 is available locally I will be getting my hands on one.

length v. height or ??????

would it not be a ruling factor that the length of the splitting tool is relivent to the length of the piece of wood that is being split rather than the height of the person doing the spliting! ?? say a x28 and a person 5'8" spliting a block of 14" to 18" or a 6'plus person splitting a 24" block useing a 36" fiskers?? then theres the question of a splitting block or just a ground pounder doing the tilling for next years garden!!

I also have both of them now, The x27 can be bought thru any ace hardware store. It took 3 days to get but I feel it was worth it. I've had the 28" one for over 5 years and its held up to alot of abuse. I only used the x27 for 30 minutes but It works as nice if not better than the older one. The lenght is the main reason for the purchase of the new one. My wife can use the shorter one. I believe the price was $49.99 plus tax.

Back