Which Ford F-250, 4X4?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not that you asked this, but I'd never go back to regular cabs again. I'd look for the extended cab, not 4 doors, just the jump seat type. Amazing what goes back there.

I agree with you, that the extended cab would be much better.

The 86 looks rough. the 88 looks exactly like mine.

attachment.php

Yup, the 86 looks fine for 2k, but that 88 looks like a great deal if it checks out otherwise!!!

The black '88 is definitely a 302cid. Do not know if it is a replacement engine.
Will probably go with it. Hope it will haul a big load of wood with a trailer and not get get stuck in a frozen corn field

that black truck is pretty,but it has smaller axles than the 86. the 86 has a full floater rear axle,far superior for a working truck.

The black '88 is definitely a 302cid. Do not know if it is a replacement engine.
Will probably go with it. Hope it will haul a big load of wood with a trailer and not get get stuck in a frozen corn field

If it does get stuck you can get someone with a Chevy to pull you out. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I had an 88 F-150 4x4 with a 302. It didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. Mine was a four speed manual and was an absolute dog. It was reliable but not worth a damn for hauling anything.

Buy them both. try them out hauling wood. Keep the one you like best, sell the other for 50% more than you paid for it. Win, win.
Maybe a package deal, $2,500 for both.

Last edited:
I have a 95 F150 Supercab 4x4 with a 5.0 v8/auto trans, I've had it loaded down with 2800 lbs of gravel, half cord of green oak oak, various other "overloads", practically dragging the rear bumper on the ground, it does fine as long as you aren't trying to win a drag race against one of them jacked up, chrome stack, black smoke belchin hot rod diesels the kids all drive now! I used it to haul my 950 lb. Yukon furnace home, truck still pulled 15 MPG highway on the way home, try that with a 460!
If I'm loaded down and pullin a trailer in a soft field, I just shift the transfer case down to low range, she gots all the power you'd ever need!

Decide which one you want, buy it, go cut wood, don't look back! If ya pay too much attention to these guys your head will be spinning in circles! Nothing takes off quite like a "what is the best truck" thread here on AS! :laugh:

Heck, on second thought, where's those babys at? I may want whichever one you don't buy!

Last edited:
I have had a ton of trucks over the years, one being a 90 F250 with a 302. This year I bought a 93 F350 with a 460 big block that you may have seen in the classifieds for sale this spring (I bought it and fixed a few things before flipping it). I preferred the small block F250 as during everyday driving it seemed to have as much get up and go as the 460. Obviously the straight axle front end F350 was a heavier duty setup and the 460 had more torque for pulling but that 302 will do fine. EFI and carb'd 460's really arent that impressive in stock form.

If I'm loaded down and pullin a trailer in a soft field, I just shift the transfer case down to low range, she gots all the power you'd ever need!

When ya' need to really pull something nothing beats gearing... all the engine in the world won't beat gearing. That's the really nice thing about a 4x4... the low range side of the transfer case. Yeah, she might be geared a bit high for fuel mileage, making it sort'a a dog... but drop that transfer case into low range and she'll pull a house over if'n it can find traction. Like I said, the 460 is a gas pig and unless you need that much "highway" horsepower 70-80% of the time, go smaller and drive slower when pullin' a load... 6-8 MPG makes for some awful expensive firewood if'n you're driving any distance for it.

We had both of those back then. You couldn't give me the 302. About the only thing it was good for was riding around drinking beer, as long as you weren't going up hill. Take the 460, it'll still be doing its job when the 302 is in the junkyard. Also, the fuel usage difference was nearly the same. I never understood how Ford could get a 302 to burn that much gas, while producing so little power.

Back