Which Gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that sounds like the route to go. I can never keep my hands warm. The only way I can keep them from feeling like icicles is to partially put on gloves. Keeping my fingers close together really helps keep them warm. Once there's separation nothing seems to work for long.

Well, as you go new to you saw shopping, look for the heated handles versions.

For cutting & saw handling, insulated & waterproof pair of Youngstown. For handling wood a lined pair of decent leather gloves.
Worst case you got two pairs to switch out during the day.

Well, as you go new to you saw shopping, look for the heated handles versions.

Umm, they have heated handled saws!? I thought people were wrapping some kind of pad (sort of like hand warmers) on the handles instead of the handles heating themselves. It doesn't get that cold here in MD to warrant heated handles for a chainsaw though. I was thinking about mittens when I run. Usually I'll start to sweat about the middle of the run but my fingers will start to hurt from the cold.

Atlas Therma Fit. Learned about them here on Arboristsite, and love them. First pair lasted all last year's splitting and only died this fall due to working with concrete, they dried solid. My old leather gloves would last one 4-5 hour splitting session. Atlas is the way to go. Buy the 12 packs and you save a bunch ie under $3.50 a pair. Amazon has them.

Atlas last where similar gloves peel...I may order another pack of Atlas.

I also used standard leather gloves...usually wear them out or the seams split.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I used to work on a dairy and it got really cold sometimes. I remember one morning was below 0. If it was super cold I would put a pack of those hand warmers, one in each glove on the back of my hand. Although they don't touch your fingers, they will keep them warm by warming your hand and the blood going to your finger tips!

Go ahead and laugh. Your hands stay toasty warm and your trigger finger is independent. FWIW - lobsters are cheaper than steak up here.:)

The only time I wear gloves is at work when it's really cold. I wear cotton gloves under leather gloves, it's bulky but pretty warm and super cheap. Sometimes when it's wet out I'll put latex gloves on first, might make your hands sweat a little but as long as you keep them on they don't get cold.

Farm Store Leather Gloves + a jar (tub) of Fiebing's 'Mink Oil Paste'. Put on your new gloves, dip a gob of paste out of the jar, and rub it in all over, and real good. Lay them by the fire, or wherever they can air, and absorb the mink oil. They not only fit like a glove, they repel wet snow, wet tools, and keep your hands cozy and dry.

I use Kinco gloves, several styles of insulated and plain leather. I like the knit cuffs to keep chips out. The heat keeper models will keep your hands warm in the coldest weather. I find deals on Kinco gloves on Ebay. They are also available at most feed stores, ag suppliers, etc. I like to cut with the pigskin models for good grip feel and handle the wood with the cowhide models. Rough bark will wear out pigskin.

Latest posts

Back