which hand saw do you use and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was a fellow from California who set up a homestead in Alaska in the 60's. Lived there until he was about 90 and then moved back to Cali with his family. He was a film maker who made films about how he built his cabin and his life. His children then compiled the films and put a narrative sound track to them.

PBS runs the series usually during their pledge drives. I really like watching it, fascinating what he was able to do with just hand tools.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Silky Zubat, very fast cutting, just the right amount of reach when you need it, lightweight, very durable, makes very nice clean cuts. It can cut through decent sized material when you are trimming -- anything bigger than what this saw can get through in a couple seconds should use a chainsaw anyway. An added plus is when my customers see how nice and quickly it cuts, and it speaks to your professionalism when you can tell them that you are using a Japanese pruning saw in their tree -- they've been perfecting the art of pruning long before this country was established.

Sugoi is just the bizz, cuts big lumps quickly, big handle, depending on the job it's on the left caritool, handle forward. tried it on the leg but got in the way unless wearing spikes. Sugoi and Felcos make pruning easier

Sent from my GT-I9210T

I was removing a 110 foot cedar Wednesday right up against a cabin, half way up the wind started howling making it difficult to balance without one hand on the tree. If it wasn't for my sillky I'd of had to come down, instead I used my handsaw on all but a few branches. Had a lot more control. Even taking the top i used the handsaw to finish the back cut. There was a lot of small dead wood to big to break, but not worth starting the saw for. One or two swipes with the silky, then I'd pull it with the tip of the blade to break it.
I use my saw as an extention of my arm to get ropes and what not just out of reach(never use the cutting edge Duh) I'd fill naked without my silky. I tried to strap it to my leg, it looked cool but got caught a lot. Now I hang it from my left side. lots better I think.

Silky Zubat, most guys I know make a little lanyard for the saw out of coiled telephone cord. What I like about using a handsaw is that I have the option of securing my chainsaw to the tree and then travelling out to thew tips with just the handsaw

Latest posts

Back