Which helmet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I've decided before the beginning of this firewood season I was going to buy a safety helmet. I've seen ones made by Stihl, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, GB, and Peltor. Which one is the most comfortable and the best built.

Most of the saw brand helmet systems are simply rebadged Peltors. I like the Peltor systems-my only complaint is that they change up the mounting base every year and make retrofitting parts a pain in the keester. Peltor or Viking sytems are good. Tasco not so much. The cheapest place to get a go0d forestry helmet is Bailey's.

Check out Pacific Helmets New Zealand . Brim or no brim , vent or non vent , color selection . R7HV, Quadsafe,R7HVS. That should make the decision a bit tougher. They also sell just the triangular reflective sticker . If you take one off the shelf you wont be getting the pelter 30 db muffs looks like they may need to be ordered separetly .LOL

The one helmet i like the most is the good ol' skull bucket. I know that a company is making them again...but they're a good solid helmet...(just a little cold in the winter) with set of ear plugs and bugz (with the steel mesh)

Best compination for safety i always use

Most of the saw brand helmet systems are simply rebadged Peltors. I like the Peltor systems-my only complaint is that they change up the mounting base every year and make retrofitting parts a pain in the keester. Peltor or Viking sytems are good. Tasco not so much. The cheapest place to get a go0d forestry helmet is Bailey's.

Helmet Rant III+
Get Peltor/Stihl/Husky/Whatever to make the attachments at least "throw- in- the- back- of- the- truck- proof". OK, so in heavy blowdown or brush the silly tits attaching the muffs and shield break off. There must be an brain, or engineeer, to design protection for the attachments or a strong design other than a Lexan space ball around my head :taped: ( I am now open to flames :popcorn: ).
Duct tape does not work in rain, in snow. How about covering the tits with Kevlar ?:confused: Anything. Titanium. Polonium. Irridium. Semtex. Peanut Butter.
Just get us a helmet system that lasts more than a few months bashed around in normal bashing. Puuullllleeeeeeeeese.:chainsaw:

Try this: Petzl Ecrin roc helmet used in combination with muff , visor and brackets set.
Not a logging type helmet , but safer IMHO. Been using it to climb with the past year and it's held up great. Super comfortable and adjustable. And it stays on your head , no matter what. Sherrilltree carries it, part numbers 28724 and set50. It's on page 109 of their catalog.

Last edited:
Try this: Petzl Ecrin roc helmet used in combination with muff , visor and brackets set.
Not a logging type helmet , but safer IMHO. Been using it to climb with the past year and it's held up great. Super comfortable and adjustable. And it stays on your head , no matter what. Sherrilltree carries it, part numbers 28724 and set50. It's on page 109 of their catalog.

Checked it out. The Petzl climbing tops are bomb-proof ---for climbing rock or trees. I do have an old climbing top: cracked , crazed, and worn. Besides, we don't want chin straps on the ground. All Petzl gear is bomb proof for serious protection on climbs ( biners, jumars, racks, etc...) and $$$$$$. The jump and serious climbing days are over. :censored: The attachments face shield and the muffs for the Petzl's are....guess what = Peltor ! Same silly flimsy tiny tiny holders that are as said above: not ready for prime time on the ground, in the woods, in heavy cutting.
Idea from the rear :givebeer: : how about putting those "holders" INSIDE the helmet ? Then again: why can't the holding brackets be made stronger, more robust ? Peltor ? Speak.
Rant III+ over.

One thing you want to check is how easily the face masks go up and down. I quit buying the Stihl dealer helmets because you had to use two hands to raise or lower the mask. The Husky helmets are nice and easy, but still stay in place. Stihl might have changed theirs by now, so check them, because they were a little more comfortable.

Here in Sweden all Stihl helmets are made by Peltor, thought it was like that everywhere ,,,,,,
Personally I like the Husqvarna/Sordin helmet best but prefer the muffs from the Stihl/peltor helmets !!

I know that I should be wearing a helmet, but the main reason I want one of the helmet systems is for the eye and hearing protection. I've tried to wear safety glasses and earplugs, but as much as I sweat, it doesn't take long and I have to ditch the glasses because I can't see anything for the sweat on them. As far as the ear plugs go, I am usually working with my wife, and if she needs or wants to tell me something, I can't hear a thing, so I pull out my ear plugs to talk and then I have to pull off my gloves to put them back in. Too much trouble and besides my hands by then are dirty and I don't like sticking dirty ear plugs in my ears. The thing that I was wondering is how hot are these helmets and muffs to wear at the temps where I live in Arkansas. It is now 7:20 pm and it is still 81 degrees.

There is at least one other thread on this topic in the archives.

I have a Peltor system from Bailey's. Great fit and nice shield. The muffs leave a lot to be desired. Peltor did send me a couple of replacement muffs.

If I don't keep the muffs in the "up" postion very long (a few minutes at a time) they seem to lock back against my ears okay. If the Muffs are left up over night, they won't lock down in cold weather at all. So, I'm careful how I store the muffs and it has been doing a lot better.

Yep, the muffs are hot. I still wear safety glasses under the face shield. Just as extra protection against a wedge or branch making it through the shield. In anything above 70 degrees, I just wear a hardhat, safety glasses and earplugs. I don't usually have anyone to converse with and it's a lot cooler.

Last edited:
Ppe

I don't like the helmet combos. I prefer the ear plugs over the earmuffs-they don't slip off as you move around your work requiring constant adjustments. Eye protection and gloves always. Also a supply of water/juice to keep hydrated, as well a reason to take a break. Working safe means you get the job done, instead of a trip to the E.R.:chainsaw:

Well I finally decided on a helmet. I bought a Husqvarna Pro Forrest. I also looked at the Sthil helmet, but the Husky was about $10 cheaper. The first time I used it , I was surprised how comfortable it was and it is so handy just to be able to lift up one of the muffs to carry on a conversation and just drop it back down and go back to cutting. The screen took a little to get used to though, but now I don't even notice it. I did take some ribbing from my wife and kids, they laughed and told me I looked like "Bob the Builder", must be a kids show. I've always been a little reluctant to use PPE, because most of the time it seems to get in the way of the job. I guess that is why my daughter was born only 11 months after I got married.;)

I like the Peltor Lumberjack helmet and swap in the much better peltor 10a muffs. Having a helmet with a brim has saved me more than once from getting whacked in the face while limbing, from a hidden branch coming loose and hitting my helmet brim.

I know it may sound silly to some folks, but I just want to point out that with most style helmet earmuffs, you swing them down and then press them against your head. I have seen folks not familiar with the combo units that wonder why the muffs aren't very quiet that didn't realize they should position the muffs for their own ears, and then press inwards to provide the spring loaded tension.

Latest posts

Back