Which is better for hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best for hardwoods?

• Total voters
...something about Husqys having no torque (X-TORQ?) and all horsepower...

A case of too much torque?

dogonespeeding640x363_zpsf824c1ae.jpg

Hmmm...There is hardwood then there is HARD wood, i'll go with torque.

DITTO, my SD166 is a beast torque wise ,only cleans up if u lean on it ,pulls big chips while 4 stroking,can,t stall it ,just a beast.:msp_wink::chainsawguy: Ozzie hardwoods some of the toughest,hardest timber u,ll ever have to cut.:cheers: Torque is king.

The question is deeply personal to me. I was conceived by two forum trolls who were engulfed in passion after the tension of fighting for weeks about this topic became overwhelming. I am literally the love child of this poll.

Sadly though, the question is nonsensical. Sadly, because if it weren't, I could tell you what my trollparents decided to name me.

So, you can make the assumption that the physical mechanics of a combustion engine allow for a flat torque curve. It's preposterous, but even the best and brightest do it every time this inane question gets posed:

Obviously both, as without torque there would be no hp.

Hp basically is a product of torque and rpm.

It's true that a electric engines have much flatter torque/RPM functions, as Franny K said. So about those, you would ask "which is better for hardwoods, more or less torque?" Or the exact same question would be "... more or less horsepower?" People would generally say "more." Duh.

CTYank makes Space's vapid question into an answerable question:

It's NOT the peak reading(s), but the shape of the curve(s) vs rpm.

Which is, "what shape of torque curve do you like?"

There is an answer to that.

The analogy to electrocution needs extension to fit. Amps is cutting (current is work). The question Space asks would translate to another nonsensical one: "which is better for making more amps: voltage or resistance?" The question Space would ask if he were asking an answerable one might translate to "what gauge wire is optimal for delivering current to residences by overhead lines?" Temperature of the conductor is the analog of the mechanics inside a combustion engine, and brings curvature into the "equals" sign of Ohm's law as the variables are modulated.

And by analogy, Space is talking about static electricity with his bit about the practically unmovable fastener. Static electricity is zero amps. A mechanical system without movement is zero horsepower. The fact that static electricity can involve volts (an infinite number of them), and that you can apply force to an unmoving object (up to infinity N*m, or American nosebleeds), just shows that there has to be a third component to understand how these things relate to cutting wood and tasing college kids.

Well, I see plenty of trashtalk here, but so far no valid reason for anyone's position. ;)

There's no validation to be had for mostly inapplicable answers to a question that doesn't internally compute. But dudes are trying to answer the better question you could have asked.

For the implied question about curves though: I like my torquey tarts to be bottom-heavy.

Latest posts

Back