Which is the better deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdotis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just stopped at the local Stihl dealer. I have been looking for a stihl 290 farm boss for some time. He has one in the shop that is 349.00 + tax with a 20" bar. It is newer than new. The problem is that he as a used 036 with a 20" bar that he says is in good shape for 300.00 + tax. It has a new bar and chain on it, has not been beat up at all, just normal use marks. I really only cut about 10 to 12 cords a year so the 036 may be over kill (if that is possible). What would you do? I like buying new saws so I know what they have been fed but that 036 is really tempting.

Hint I cannot get them both even though I really really want them both.

Korey

My main saw is a 290. I love it but....if I were in your situation I would go with the 036 if it's in the said condition.

Why is it Echos aren't dicussed on here ? I think they are fine saws. However I only cut my own wood and a few logs. but I have had a CS4400 for a few years now and it is not pampered at all. I think it is in my truck now, I would have to dig in the snow to see.

Dude, he's got two SPECIFIC saws he's interested in, this isn't a "What saw do you recomend" thread. You want to brag about it, start another thread and brag. But you added nothing of value to this thread.

The 036 is a no brainer, cheaper and a better saw.

Thanks for the advice

This is what I needed. Now I will need to see if I can get an honest background on the saw and see how much use it has really seen. For those of you who have an 036 what do I need to look at to see how much life is left in it? Any places you can look at the saw to see if it is at the end of its life. Can you tell how old it is by the serial number. How much compression should it have? Maybe this is a question for the chain saw forum but if you can tell me what you would look at that would be great.

Thanks again for all your help.

Korey

This is what I needed. Now I will need to see if I can get an honest background on the saw and see how much use it has really seen. For those of you who have an 036 what do I need to look at to see how much life is left in it? Any places you can look at the saw to see if it is at the end of its life. Can you tell how old it is by the serial number. How much compression should it have? Maybe this is a question for the chain saw forum but if you can tell me what you would look at that would be great.

Thanks again for all your help.

Korey

See if the dealer will let you watch him do a compression test and press/vac test... He will at least have to loosen the muffler to install some rubber so to seal it off before doing the press/vac test. Ask him to completely remove the muffler, and then inspect the piston...

Korey, I would take some test cuts with the saw.If you are happy with it, buy it.It is worth rebuilding down the line should you need to, and parts are not too high.I have a 034 that I put a 036 jug and piston on very reasonably.

Back