Which is your favorite saw for around the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have most of the chainsaws mentioned in this thread.

The other day the DIL called me that a limb had fallen against her house. I took the 346 for the limbs and a 372 just in case it was the whole tree. It was a fork of a tree.

The 346 NE got to feeling like it was more chainsaw than I needed in the top. The 372 was more than I needed too on the main tree trunk. I got rained out and came back a couple days later with a 365 Special and noodled the big pieces.

I used my ported 026 for a little ash pruning the other day and it feels a little lighter but a lot less torque than the 346NE.

Anyway, for the more or less pruning duty around the house I guess I like my little el cheapo plastic Mac 1432 that i bought at Odd Lots in the mid 90's. It is MM'd and the chain kickback shoes are filed off the 3/8 LP chain. It is fine and light weight for a dozen small limbs or so. The gutting the muffler really brought it to life.

I cut down four pine trees last fall that were about 18" DBH and I dropped them with the Mac 1432. Bucked them with the 025 (a lot more chainsaw than the Mac) and the tops with the Mac 1432. Used my 111i to cut the stumps off even with the ground.

Last edited:
Most of my "around the house" chores are handled nicely by my Dolmar 3410 and Makita DCS401.
However I also use the S25DA Poulan and the Dolmar 420 or the Echo CS300 or the Husky 351 or the Husky 346XP or the Poulan Pro 305 or the Poulan Pro 325 or the Makita DCS-540 or.........................................................................LOL

Mike

Refurbished Husky 435 I bought from ################## for $142.45 with coupon. It has more power and runs more smoothly than my Poulan Wild Thing. It is lighter than my Husky 345. I did have to adjust the high speed mixture, but now it starts easily and runs great. It is the saw I grab now when I have a limb in the yard to trim.

I go back and forth between my 346xp-ne and 435. That little 435 is nice saw! Smooth and just the right amount of power to get trimming jobs around the house without tiring you out.

My .02

Mike

Around the house the HT 131 pole saw and Stihl 009 are what comes out the most, When I go out to the woods I bring the 450 or the 55 depends on how I feel, The 009 comes along also I love that saw.

The living room is a little bigger so I can run the McCulloch, but the bedroom is smaller so I only run the 142 in there. In the kitchen I can only run the 42cc Craftsman as that is the quietest, otherwise my wife gets mad.

About 10-11 years ago, I fixed something minor on my little Craftsman 1.9/Poulan XX while in the kitchen (can't recall why I did it there). Decided to walk out the door to the backyard and prune a tree. Fired the saw up while walking through the kitchen and out the door. The saw was only running in the kitchen for 3-5 seconds, but that was long enough for me to get in deep #### with the wife. She was in the back bathroom at the time. We'd only been married for a year or two, and my bride hadn't previously experienced my tendancy to sometimes start chainsaws and motorcycles at odd times and in odd places....:D

for handling ease on the smaller stuff, and all around "handiness" factor, the McC 10-10A. For bigger stuff, the 372XPW, or for the really bigger stuff, and the heaving milling, the Stihl 075. for the trimming the wild thingy gets a workout from time to time.

About 10-11 years ago, I fixed something minor on my little Craftsman 1.9/Poulan XX while in the kitchen (can't recall why I did it there). Decided to walk out the door to the backyard and prune a tree. Fired the saw up while walking through the kitchen and out the door. The saw was only running in the kitchen for 3-5 seconds, but that was long enough for me to get in deep #### with the wife. She was in the back bathroom at the time. We'd only been married for a year or two, and my bride hadn't previously experienced my tendancy to sometimes start chainsaws and motorcycles at odd times and in odd places....:D

That's funny!

My lovely wife begs me to work on my saws in the house.
She says that I'm gone to work for 13 hours a day and when I'm home she wants to be able to hug me without walking out to the shop.
She isn't crazy about me firing them off in the house but doesn't mind as long as I keep it short and don't fill the house with 2 stroke smoke.

Mike

Back