Which of these saws will respond best to woods porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised that there's not much love for the 372...

All 3 saws get pretty equal usage. I try to use the correct saw for the job. Most of my limbing is done with my 346, felling and bucking 372, and if I'm doing a smaller job and I only want to bring one saw, I typically grab the 562.

I was thinking I would expand my sawing capacity if I ported the 372, that way if I ever needed to run a 28" or 32" bar, I'd have a saw that could handle it.

Maybe I'm wrong...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porting don't make longer bars more useable. Quality porting makes the saw faster in the cut, period.

Porting don't make longer bars more useable. Quality porting makes the saw faster in the cut, period.

I don't disagree, but with that being said, wouldn't a ported 372 run a 28" bar through oak faster and more efficiently than a non-ported 372?

I've run a DD ported 346, 372 and a MM 562. It'd be hard to choose between the two! I don't believe the 372 was tuned right, @ any rate, it wouldn't be my choice. The 346 had an amazing fun factor. That saw just flat out ripped. I think I'd end up using it for bigger stuff for that reason. If you want to flat out get a lot done in a short amount of time, the 562 would get my vote. I'm a 6-10 cord/year firewood cutter btw. That MM562 was a sweet saw. It was butter smooth and would definitely be my go-to saw. So my vote goes to the 562.
And yes, I believe you wouldn't use the 372 very much after, but you could always step up to a 90cc or bigger saw later. :rock:Just my .02!

Port them all. Keeping a non ported saw after you port one is going to result n you running the ported saw all the time. Every saw responds to porting. The limiting factor in how long a B&C you can run is the oiler. Mastermind stays pretty backed up, tlandrum of Wicked Works Saws is a dealer for both Husky and Jred. Both of them back their work. There are many other competent members on here that can do you a good job, I'm just most familiar with Terry and Randy.

I'm a little worried that if I port either the 346 or 562, it'll start competing with the saw above it, creating a need to port all 3...will I still want to use the 562 if I have a ported 346, or the 372 if I have a ported 562?

ive had 27 ported. it gets in the blood.

A sharp chain on the 346xp would likely be an improvement.

You might as well port the 562xpat, that way you won't be totally crippled when it goes down with hesitation issues, warm start issues, and loose fasteners. If you leave the 50 and 70 alone, and just cut wood, you'll have the best chance at some reliability. Well, as much reliability as you can expect from a flimsy Husqy.

That is really an irritating post. I will use the ignore function for the first time.

I'm a little worried that if I port either the 346 or 562, it'll start competing with the saw above it, creating a need to port all 3...will I still want to use the 562 if I have a ported 346, or the 372 if I have a ported 562?
Like I said, I run two ported 346s' most of the time, 16 & 18" bars. But still find a need for the stock 562xp with a 20" bar, this one will not get ported, it doesn't need it... Also run a ported 357xp w/18" a lot. I have no need or want for a 70cc+ saw...

From a simple guy who just maintains 20 plus acres and cuts firewood, I'd go at the top end and port the 372. My results are different than previous posters, I'm not sure after porting that i gained more speed in the cut, but i certainly have more torque through the cut. Obviously most noticeable in larger wood with longer bars.

Most folks just ingore him anyway...
Does that simply make you ignorant of the facts? Either way, if one needs to cut wood choose Stihl. If one likes to work on saws, choose Husqy. If one is feeling inadequate with their saws, choose porting.

Does that simply make you ignorant of the facts? Either way, if one needs to cut wood choose Stihl. If one likes to work on saws, choose Husqy. If one is feeling inadequate with their saws, choose porting.

Listen dude, if I wanted to start a husky vs stihl pissing match, I would have title the thread appropriately. I have had just as many problems with stihl saws as I have with husky's. Don't come in here and start bashing on my equipment. I have no use for d-bag commentary. Save it for another thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back