Which saw, 338xpt or 192t?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree

Terraphobic
I was gonna attempt (again) to advance the timing on my 192T today and decided im just gonna leave it alone(again) lol...not sure what im grinding and how much to grind so just a muffler mod is gonna have to do it.:happy:

VinceGU05

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
I was gonna attempt (again) to advance the timing on my 192T today and decided im just gonna leave it alone(again) lol...not sure what im grinding and how much to grind so just a muffler mod is gonna have to do it.:happy:

lol:) once you have the flywheel off; looking from the motor side of the flywheel (like in my pic) take 20 thou off the left hand side of the key. i usually do 2/3 of the key. that way i can see much much i have taken off. and then take the other 1/3 off from the recoil side. the flywheel is looking to be rotated about 1/4" in the CCW direction once its back on the shaft.

granted its very difficult to measure how much you take off the key. an easy way is grind off like i said and see if you can use a feeler gauge to see if it looks like 20 thou came off.. finish it off and pop it on to see if you are getting yr 1/4" of rotation. if not, best is a little file like an old points file ( or a file needle file) and tickle it a bit and check again on the shaft.

hope that's a better description on how to do it for you :)

VinceGU05

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
that would make it easier.but i just use a soft hammer, and only hit on the solid sections like where the magnets are and the opposite side. the fins will break if hit. just a few medium taps and grab the flywheel to see if its loose. some times it takes 1 tap sometimes several.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
338's are a clamshell not exactly what I consider pro design. Not exactly a power house either.

It is a somewhat different sort of clamshell though, as the "shell" is part of a pretty large piece of magnesium, that makes up a large part of the case.

Anyway, it is a much better and more powerful saw than the MS192T, that is a cheaply made "homeowner" design with a much smaller engine.

OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad

Collector of shiny things.
In my own bed every night. Kansas City Northland

It couldn't be easier. Just elongate the slot in the flywheel with a square file and crank it up a little! I did mine, the down and dirty muff mod, yanked the limiters and the thing went from total dud to a little screamer.

Latest posts