Which saw and is it worth it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to buy new saw. I have narrowed it down to either a 346xp or a 357xp. I am leaning towards the 346xp because of the weight of it. The saw will run a 16inch bar. It will be use for limbing and bucking small wood (up to 16inches) and clearing small cedars. I have bigger saws for bigger wood. My next question, is it worth it to have it power tuned. I won't be doing this myself I will be sending it to Walkers Saw Shop. I want something that will not be touchy and have to be adjusted all the time. I am rather hard on a saw when it comes to upkeep. I am slow about changing filter and things like that. Is it worth it to be tuned for the $200. here are the other saws I have maybe that will help you with advice.

029 stihl ran great for 10 years cut fast. cut over 700 ranks fo wood. hated the 4 position switch that wanted to break all the time. wouldn't stay running sold on ebay

026 pro. Had this saw 4 years bought it used. It never seemed to have the power that it should. Always started and ran great never a problem just cut slow. loved the size and weight. oiler quit oiling sold on ebay

Echo 670 Had this saw for 5 years and loved it. I put 3 gallons of fuel through it the first day i had it. Great power easy to clean air filter simple on off switch. It needed bigger saw spikes and a little more anti vibrartion. I adjusted the carb toi lean and burned a piston (this is why I don't touch them)

Husky 359. had 2 years runs great good power to weight really like this saw.

Stihl 046 mag This is my favorite saw. It has a 36inch bar and loves to run. I only use this for the big stuff and have to keep myself from throwing a 20inch bar on it and using it everyday. I want it to stay around a long time to cut the big stuff. I don't want to spend the money to buy another one.

Echo 520 It starts and runs great. Cuts slow I think it needs to be adjusted but this is the trash saw. It stays in the back of the truck through everykind of weather incase there is a need on the farm.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Go for the 346, since you already have a 359. The 357 is the same size and weight as the 359, it is just a little bit quicker.

Actually, just get them both.:monkey:

I am rather hard on a saw when it comes to upkeep. I am slow about changing filter and things like that. Is it worth it to be tuned for the $200. here are the other saws I have maybe that will help you with advice.

If you are lazy on upkeep... don't spend the money on having anything done to the saw... hell, might as well just run the stuff you have.

Saw upkeep is a major part of ownin' a saw. If your gonna treat a port tuned saw like the average Joe with dirty filters... you will never get the full potential of the saw.

Skip it...:popcorn:

Gary

... Saw upkeep is a major part of ownin' a saw. If your gonna treat a port tuned saw like the average Joe with dirty filters... you will never get the full potential of the saw.

Skip it...:popcorn:

Gary

Very true, but the Huskys are much more forgiving regarding the air filter, than most Stihls......;)

026 pro. Had this saw 4 years bought it used. It never seemed to have the power that it should. Always started and ran great never a problem just cut slow. loved the size and weight. oiler quit oiling sold on ebay

Then, the 346 xp is your saw - same weight, faster cutting in smaller wood, much better air filter system and anti-vibe (if you care).
The new 50cc version will surely be even better........

Husky 359. had 2 years runs great good power to weight really like this saw.

The power to weight ratio is not great at all for that saw, but I guess it could feel like it is, when you compare it to the MS290 and CS670 (they are worse) - enter the 357xp, or preferably the MS361.......;)

Last edited:
Very solid advice all around on this one. You have the 359 no need for the 357. You don't like to work on stuff so don't get crazy with mods, you won't see any benefit w/o maintenance. The 346 is a great small saw. I love mine dearly. :love1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a saw. I went with the 346xp. It should be here in a couple days. I bought the saw with a 16inch bar. It came with a total of 3 chains. Price was $417.90 shipped to my door. I didn't think this was to bad. Again thanks for the help. No I just have to decide weather or not to mod the saw. Can anyone reccomend someone. Roght now I'm thinking about just having walker do it. Anyone else I should consider. This will be my first modded saw.

Thanks Scott

For 16” Cedars the 346 would be perfect. Also, you may want to try an 8 tooth sprocket in place of the 7.

It will be cutting a lot more oak then cedar. I cut all different types of wod doing tree trimming and cutting firewood. If i have it tuned I will make the effort to do the filters and such. Before it would kill me to change the filters and spend $25 to service a $300 saw when it cut good. I just banged them out. I kind of always thought oh well if it goes out I'll just buy another. I think the 029 only had one filter change in 10 years. It cut over 700 ranks of wood. Thanks for the input.

Scott

Only if you clean your air filters like you said you don't do too often... It'll be a waste of money.

That little 346XP will rock and roll without the mod.

Gary

Yes, but if it is an e-tech, something has to be done with the muffler - the simplest way is to change it out for a standard one........

Funny huh? I have ran a few Husqvarna's in my time... Won't buy any... but they have a few (IMO) good saws. :help:

Gary

Remember, shoplifting is against the law. ;)

TC, get your badge ...... you've work to do. :hmm3grin2orange:

Mine is an E-Tech,and ive punched out a oval hole down low on the muff and it has lots of nut,also opened up the inside of the muffler also.

Back