Which saw maker bites the dust next

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bunch of idiots hype them up on th internet and all of a sudden they are gaining market share from the other two? Back to reality...NO.
It's a mag cased saw (not a clamshell) and will smoke a MS362 (I know that isn't saying a whole lot). They also mod extremely well and are tough as hell. A modded 590 will keep up or exceed the power of a MS400. I have both.

The CS620 version is their pro version that comes with better porting, 2 rings, unlimited coil with more aggressive spark timing curve and a bigger carburetor and runs with a MS400 right out of the box for 400 dollars cheaper. If you haven't tried one out, you should. Damn good value.

It's a mag cased saw (not a clamshell) and will smoke a MS362 (I know that isn't saying a whole lot). They also mod extremely well and are tough as hell. A modded 590 will keep up or exceed the power of a MS400. I have both.

The CS620 version is their pro version that comes with better porting, 2 rings, unlimited coil with more aggressive spark timing curve and a bigger carburetor and runs with a MS400 right out of the box for 400 dollars cheaper. If you haven't tried one out, you should. Damn good value.
I don't know about any of that as I have never ran an Echo. However, the 620 looks like a 30+ year old design. Not to mention the fact its 1hp down on the 400 and almost a 1lb heavier so I have a very hard time believing thats true. I have doubts it will even beat the latest version of the 362 as well. You can call that a pro saw if you like, but I'd call it an antiquated dog. You pay for what you get.

It'll be Husqvarna that starts to downsize because of everything that falls under the Husqvarna umbrella. They are out other companies they can absorb. They'll shrink a little but aren't going bye-bye. None of them are going anywhere real soon.
They could buy Shindawa, Echo, etc. Even if they didn't buy anymore companies it doesn't mean they will downsize or lose market share. Husky acquisitions were done for specific reasons. Either to gain technology ala buying redmax for their strato patents or to gain market share ala Poulan.

I don't know about any of that as I have never ran an Echo. However, the 620 looks like a 30+ year old design. Not to mention the fact its 1hp down on the 400 and almost a 1lb heavier so I have a very hard time believing thats true. I have doubts it will even beat the latest version of the 362 as well. You can call that a pro saw if you like, but I'd call it an antiquated dog. You pay for what you get.
The 620 actually makes 5.2hp or so out of the box (idk why they don't rate them in reality) and 5.6 with a muffler mod. And it is 7cc smaller than the MS400. Don't count them out for a very high quality saw that performs well....

The 620 actually makes 5.2hp or so out of the box (idk why they don't rate them in reality) and 5.6 with a muffler mod. And it is 7cc smaller than the MS400. Don't count them out for a very high quality saw that performs well....

It's rated at 4.5. Every dyno reads different and reads different on different days.
Joe got 6hp out of a stock 400c FWIW.

Regardless the 620 is a 30+ year old design.

I'm not saying it's a bad saw. Echo makes quality stuff, but it's not in the same league as a 400C.

They could buy Shindawa, Echo, etc. Even if they didn't buy anymore companies it doesn't mean they will downsize or lose market share. Husky acquisitions were done for specific reasons. Either to gain technology ala buying redmax for their strato patents or to gain market share ala Poulan.
The redmax acquisition also gave Husqvarna a big chunk in the small engine yard care equipment market since redmax were more or less equal to echo number wise in that market. Every ranch/homeowner saw made today are 20+ year old designs. Why does an stihl ms311 cost 200$ more than an echo 590, it's the market and people are willing to pay more because of the name. A lot of people still think echo only makes weed eaters but they know stihl makes good chainsaws and other equipment.

The redmax acquisition also gave Husqvarna a big chunk in the small engine yard care equipment market since redmax were more or less equal to echo number wise in that market. Every ranch/homeowner saw made today are 20+ year old designs. Why does an stihl ms311 cost 200$ more than an echo 590, it's the market and people are willing to pay more because of the name. A lot of people still think echo only makes weed eaters but they know stihl makes good chainsaws and other equipment.
That's also true, but also keepmin mind that Redmax patents where the best in the two cycle world and put them a generation ahead of Stihl that exists to this day. In fact Stihl got Mtronic and the use of certain strato patents from Husky due to a EU
court mandate. I forget the exact details, but there was an article in one of the European trade publications on this
The reason a Stihl cost more is because they can charge more. Stihl has a more robust dealer network and much better brand recognition. Their.pro line is also just plain better than Echo as is Husky's. Most people, including pros have never heard of Echo. Echo is more widely recognized as a lawn care brand.
I get it that a certain segment of guys on this site like Echo and before that it was Dolmar. However both are niche players in a best case scenario and the fan boys are like a cult when it comes to both.

Kind of like Ford, Chevy, Dodge. As long as there are big trees, you need big saws. Going to be interesting to see Commieformia cut down those big trees with Electric chainsaws. I wish Husqvarna would get their act together. Used to, you could throw a dart at a map and hit a Husky dealer, with a service center, around here. I don’t even know one within an hour’s drive.

At some point this green energy bubble will burst. The powers that be will have found something else to invest their millions and billions into.
Yeah, my great grandfather had the same sentiment when internal combustion engine saws were developed. Nothing will replace two men and a boy with a sharp cross cut saw. These machines are just over priced gimmicks.

In ten years there will be 100 volt saws.

I've got an 80 volt GreenWorks that I grab first out of my 6 saws.
How long a bar do you run and what kind of wood do you typically cut?
I own LOTS of saws and my Stihl 220 battery saws are great but only up to a certain point.

I have already seen so many battery devices change so much over the last few years. What is happening is they all become throw away very quickly when batteries die and you cant get replacements because the model has changed and so has battery shape. If all manufacturers got together and made a standard battery fitting it would work. Petrol cars run on petrol whatever the make. I wont be rushing to go electric my 20-30 year old saws are doing fine and will last me out. And if need be they can be repaired by myself. Too old to change now, they rely on up and coming youngsters to want the latest and convincing then it's better. Just look at the cues for the latest and new iphone, game device, car or whatever the media is pushing at the time.

My neighbor has a 620, we often cut with eachother. my stock 562xp ran hand in hand with it, the ported 562xp I had smoked it. The 400 runs circles around the 620. To the point my neighbor has been considering trading up to the 400. Muff mod (bark box in my case) made the power gap even more apparent. Lighter, handles better and noticeably more power in the cut. We're 90% hardwoods. The 590/620 are fine saws but neither compares to the 400, stock modified or otherwise.

It's rated at 4.5. Every dyno reads different and reads different on different days.
Joe got 6hp out of a stock 400c FWIW.

Regardless the 620 is a 30+ year old design.

I'm not saying it's a bad saw. Echo makes quality stuff, but it's not in the same league as a 400C.
No it's not even close.

No one's arguing echo makes good equipment. It's the lack of dealership support that kills them imo.

When I started working at the saw shop, William was selling Pioneer saws to the loggers. Next was Husky, and finally Stihl. William also sold and serviced Toro and Echo lawn and garden. Servicing that variety of equipment I came to the decision that for my needs Echo trimmers and blowers, Toro mowers and Stihl saws were for me.
I have bought three Echo saws, a CS400 for my grandson, a 2511t and a 3510 for me.

My neighbor has a 620, we often cut with eachother. my stock 562xp ran hand in hand with it, the ported 562xp I had smoked it. The 400 runs circles around the 620. To the point my neighbor has been considering trading up to the 400. Muff mod (bark box in my case) made the power gap even more apparent. Lighter, handles better and noticeably more power in the cut. We're 90% hardwoods. The 590/620 are fine saws but neither compares to the 400, stock modified or otherwise.
What length bar do you run on your 400? Asking because I'm wondering if they've got the low end torque for a 28" full comp in oak and hickory, most things I've heard say they run best with a 20" and nothing more than that for hardwood. That feels off to me since both my muffler modded 590 and 620P can pull a 24" buried with authority, and I have no doubt a 28" with skip tooth would be no problem for those saws.

Is that just due to powerbands on both saws? I know the 590 runs strong at lower RPMs and the 620 a bit higher. That could explain the torque those Echoes have but I'd hope the 400 has that torque as well

What length bar do you run on your 400? Asking because I'm wondering if they've got the low end torque for a 28" full comp in oak and hickory, most things I've heard say they run best with a 20" and nothing more than that for hardwood. That feels off to me since both my muffler modded 590 and 620P can pull a 24" buried with authority, and I have no doubt a 28" with skip tooth would be no problem for those saws.

Is that just due to powerbands on both saws? I know the 590 runs strong at lower RPMs and the 620 a bit higher. That could explain the torque those Echoes have but I'd hope the 400 has that torque as well
It came with a 20" and I got a 24" on it now. I actually put the 24" on for a Poplar project and never took it off. She pulls it no issues. I wouldn't personally go bigger, but I have much Biggers saws as well. I would tend to agree it would pull a 28" skip set up without issue.

Back