Which saw MS261 or MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punk5362

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had decided on the MS261 but am wondering if the MS391 would be a better buy. It is about $150 cheaper and has an intelegent carb. Any opinions on which one is better?

I had decided on the MS261 but am wondering if the MS391 would be a better buy. It is about $150 cheaper and has an intelegent carb. Any opinions on which one is better?

What are you going to do with it? The 261 is built better but that doesn't mean it is worth 150 more to you. The 391 is a clam design with plastic case. Top line home owner saw. They have put plenty of wood on the ground and in the wood pile. They should both be pretty reliable if you take care of them.

What are you going to do with it? The 261 is built better but that doesn't mean it is worth 150 more to you. The 391 is a clam design with plastic case. Top line home owner saw. They have put plenty of wood on the ground and in the wood pile. They should both be pretty reliable if you take care of them.

I am a homeowner and will use it for firewood(I heat a lot with wood). I have a Craftsman and am tired of junk. I want a saw that will last for as long as I own it. Thanks.

where are you coming up with $150 diff. between the two? $560 for a 261 and $550 for a 391 by me.

I would get the 261 IMO , it's a great saw and is worth the extra 150, the 391 is nice but it'll get heavy after a while, where the 261 has bout the same power but its lighter, jus my opinion

Do you know we have a Trading Post for saws here at A. S..

For the $550.00 range you are looking at I would pickup a used 70cc saw from a member of AS.

Do you have PPE?
Chaps, ear protection, head protection,gloves, safety glass/s boots.

Oh yeah Welcome to the Nut- House

skip them all and get 660!!!!:msp_biggrin:.........lol.....but i would run several saws it will help with the decission,for example this was my ecxperiance,i have a ms361,was looking to go to lower cc,then decided after running smaller cc,that i needed bigger cc,so was dead sit on 441,but then dealer offered me to cut with 441 and 660,will to say i came home with 660....:msp_wink:

all saws are great,just decide which will benifit you the most,run all them that you can.also another thing that i found with the 660,is if you run into alot of nasty,knotty wood that wont split,the 660 will slice thru it like butter,where as small saws you be there awhile :smile2:but they are pricey,it took me awhile to afford mine,wouldnt trade it for anything now:) good luck

None of those, but the 261 is much higher quality than the 391, they aren't really comparable in any regard! :msp_wink:

I have an MS261 with 16 and 18 inch .325 pitch bars, and an 039 with a 20 inch 3/8 pitch bar.

I've not run other brands of saws, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

I buck tops for a heating assistance program to support others. For my needs, the MS261-16 works well, and handles the job just fine 90% of the time. I hardly ever use the 18" bar although it pulls it just fine. The shorter bar helps me avoid inadvertently boring into one log while sawing the one beside it....

The 039 is no longer my primary saw. I like the additional power, and being able to handle the bigger bar and chain, but for most of my needs, the 261 is great, has better AV, better filtration by far, and noticeably better gas mileage. It's a much better saw than the 039, but the 391 may have closed the gap on features.

But a month or so ago, I bucked a log that measured 41" x 36" at the base with the 039. That's what it can do. So as others have said, it depends to some extent on what you'll be cutting.

Back