Which saw should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glend9001

Reaction score
I'm new to owning a chainsaw, but fairly experienced in running one. My main question is should I get a used Stihl MS440 or a new MS 311? They're about the same price, the new is a bit more. My use right now is I have a lot of limbs upwards of 8-10 inches across from an unkempt pear tree in my front yard. Yes both of these saws are way oversized but hear me out. I potentially plan on cutting this tree down entirely as it's not helping the ever worsening foundation problem. This tree is easily 20-30 inches across I'd say and I currently only have funds for one saw and may not have the money for another for some time. I also enjoy my own fair bit of tackling projects and my hunting land is also in need of some work on all the dead trees in the timbers and ditches that make it hard to navigate. So, should I go with a used saw that will definitely handle my tasks present and future or get a new saw that may need upgraded at some future point in time but is definitely enough for now? Or should I do something completely different? I'm partial to Stihl as thats what I'm experienced with but I'm all ears from those with experience. Thank you.

I'm new to owning a chainsaw, but fairly experienced in running one. My main question is should I get a used Stihl MS440 or a new MS 311? They're about the same price, the new is a bit more. My use right now is I have a lot of limbs upwards of 8-10 inches across from an unkempt pear tree in my front yard. Yes both of these saws are way oversized but hear me out. I potentially plan on cutting this tree down entirely as it's not helping the ever worsening foundation problem. This tree is easily 20-30 inches across I'd say and I currently only have funds for one saw and may not have the money for another for some time. I also enjoy my own fair bit of tackling projects and my hunting land is also in need of some work on all the dead trees in the timbers and ditches that make it hard to navigate. So, should I go with a used saw that will definitely handle my tasks present and future or get a new saw that may need upgraded at some future point in time but is definitely enough for now? Or should I do something completely different? I'm partial to Stihl as thats what I'm experienced with but I'm all ears from those with experience. Thank you.
I'm also new to chainsaws (of any kind) and I went for a Makita EA6100P . Wanted EA7900P but since from about this month 2022 Makita has stopped making any gas chainsaws, so am thankfull I got the EA6100P...
My view on chainsaws is first see what you will do with it ,then choose the one you tested/hold in your hands. And it's a known reliable brand and model! I wouldn't even look at something unreliable or with known quality problems!
P.S. oh, and if possible buy a brand new chainsaw with decent warranty. Mine has 2 year warranty but was reading somewhere on some topic here that Echo has 5 year warranty for their gas chainsaws. That's quite something!

Looks like a 311 is about $570. If it was me, I'd be looking at an Echo 590 and probably 352 combo. The 590 is a 60 cc saw which is about what the 311 is. The 352 is a very handy smaller saw. With some shopping should be able to find both new for under 570. The smaller saw would be more than up to the branches you mention and would be handy on hunting ground if its of any size. Having 2 saws comes in very helpful sometimes.
All that said, the 440 is reported to be a nice saw.

The 440 is a good saw, however, a lot of discretion should be used when buying a used chainsaw. I’ve seen chainsaws for sale, overpriced, and you can tell it never occurred to the owner to even clean it. If there’s sawdust in the flywheel cover or cooling fins I’d pass right away. Don’t even need to look past the muffler. Chainsaws are probably the most misused tool in existence. The 311 is also a decent mid-grade saw that may serve you well but it’s not even remotely close to being a next-best option for that kind of money. I’d buy a new 311 and make it last forever with my maintenance before I’d buy a flogged out 440. I’d live in a box before I’d sell an old Stihl like that, so makes me wonder.

Well the 7 tooth wont do a whole lot for performance but it will make the rim changes easier because you are going from a spur sprocket to a rim setup.

I have a 5105 that I bought new last year (or the year before that), I have put one of those new Oregon aluminum core 18" bar on it, it cuts faster than my 038 mag replica. Not more power but it's just extremely willing and able.
RIMG0045.JPG

The 311 is also a decent mid-grade saw that may serve you well but it’s not even remotely close to being a next-best option for that kind of money. I’d buy a new 311 and make it last forever with my maintenance before I’d buy a flogged out 440. I’d live in a box before I’d sell an old Stihl like that, so makes me wonder.
This.

My 311 has been rock solid and done everything I've needed and I maintain it well. That said, the 440 is a different class but is also potentially 10-20 years old. A quick eBay search showed good running units around $700-$800 and parts saws around $400-$500. Prices on everything used now is nuts. Buyer beware.

This.

My 311 has been rock solid and done everything I've needed and I maintain it well. That said, the 440 is a different class but is also potentially 10-20 years old. A quick eBay search showed good running units around $700-$800 and parts saws around $400-$500. Prices on everything used now is nuts. Buyer beware.
People act like the mid-grade is just disposable junk but it’s not. I know the 044/440’s have a metal crankcase but I own clammy ‘s that are every bit as durable as mag cased saws, mileage wise.
That said, the size (power) difference between a 440 and a 311 is quite substantial, but for someone doing a lot of firewood gathering and not needing the best power to weight ratio, the 311 will do fine. However, I think Stihls are overpriced and I wouldn’t pay for a new 311 with the other 60cc options out there.

Latest posts

Back