Which saw should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People act like the mid-grade is just disposable junk but it’s not. I know the 044/440’s have a metal crankcase but I own clammy ‘s that are every bit as durable as mag cased saws, mileage wise.
That said, the size (power) difference between a 440 and a 311 is quite substantial, but for someone doing a lot of firewood gathering and not needing the best power to weight ratio, the 311 will do fine. However, I think Stihls are overpriced and I wouldn’t pay for a new 311 with the other 60cc options out there.
Hence my suggestion of an Echo 590.
The Stihl 440 was a very good saw. Picking a solid used one is hit and miss. We tend to answer questions like this with what we want and with no regard to experience base of the OP's or their real needs.
I've heated mostly with firewood for close to 40 years, never had a saw bigger than a Stihl 036. Would I like a 440, 462 or 5ooi? Of course. I've never really needed one. The bit of extra time it sometimes takes vs. the money still in my account has made it a good tradeoff.

Ya need 2 saws to be a real man ya know.! Kidding aside, I was a 1 saw man,, um punk, and found out why ya need 2 saws. I was way up in northern Wis. one day and got my bar hopelessly pinched in a dead tree that was leaning. I had to take off the bar and leave it there fro 2 weeks till I could get another bar. to cut the tree down. I would honestly just get a ECHO saws now days. I am likely going to get an Echo 620P in a week or 2, if I can sell my 026. Many say it is the best Echo out there. I have 2 Echo dealers in town. One sells Echo and Husky, and the other sells Stihl and Echo. The Husky Echo dealer much prefers Echo, the Stihl dealer prefers the Echo trimmers but say the Echo is likely just as good as Stihl , but the Stihl chains and bars are better.

Hence my suggestion of an Echo 590.
The Stihl 440 was a very good saw. Picking a solid used one is hit and miss. We tend to answer questions like this with what we want and with no regard to experience base of the OP's or their real needs.
I've heated mostly with firewood for close to 40 years, never had a saw bigger than a Stihl 036. Would I like a 440, 462 or 5ooi? Of course. I've never really needed one. The bit of extra time it sometimes takes vs. the money still in my account has made it a good tradeoff.
I would get the 590 too. That’s a no- brained these days. I even prefer the overpriced Husqy Ranchers over the Stihls. But if the OP can’t see past Stihl and is new to owning a saw, sometimes Stihl peddlers are good at getting a new guy set up with a few maintenance tips to keep his saw alive, along with some extra goodies to maybe get them started sharpening or at least put a bug in their ear that a chainsaw needs to be sharpened.

I’d take the 440. Easily.

Put a short 16” bar on it for now and it will be way more handy for this smaller stuff than if you’re hanging a long bar on it.
A 16" bar on a 440? I must say, that would look funny. I think it could handle up to a 32". I had an MS 441C and I normally ran a 20" bar, with an occasional use of a 25".

I'm also new to chainsaws (of any kind) and I went for a Makita EA6100P . Wanted EA7900P but since from about this month 2022 Makita has stopped making any gas chainsaws, so am thankfull I got the EA6100P...
My view on chainsaws is first see what you will do with it ,then choose the one you tested/hold in your hands. And it's a known reliable brand and model! I wouldn't even look at something unreliable or with known quality problems!
P.S. oh, and if possible buy a brand new chainsaw with decent warranty. Mine has 2 year warranty but was reading somewhere on some topic here that Echo has 5 year warranty for their gas chainsaws. That's quite something!

Curious as to why you purchased the 6100 over the 7900 when they are both gas saws and the one you wanted was the 7900........

A 16" bar on a 440? I must say, that would look funny. I think it could handle up to a 32". I had an MS 441C and I normally ran a 20" bar, with an occasional use of a 25".

It works. I run 16” on a Jonsered with a ported 272 cylinder on it and it is a great setup for blocking firewood. Used to use a hot 066 with 20” for similar purposes. Fewer cutters to sharpen and with these short bar/big engine setups you can lean on it hard if you want to!

It works. I run 16” on a Jonsered with a ported 272 cylinder on it and it is a great setup for blocking firewood. Used to use a hot 066 with 20” for similar purposes. Fewer cutters to sharpen and with these short bar/big engine setups you can lean on it hard if you want to!

You will find that a 18" bar on the 440 will balance far better without any reduction in cut speed/time.
The saw will actually feel lighter because of the balance.

I think Echo is stepping up their game and for a new saw the 620 sounds good. I own a few echoes and the first thing is that the OEM parts are just as expensive as Stihl.
I haven't needed to look for any recently but with some shopping on-line I find Echo OEM parts much cheaper than Stihl.

Curious as to why you purchased the 6100 over the 7900 when they are both gas saws and the one you wanted was the 7900........
Makita doesn't manufacture anymore AT ALL gasoline 2 stroke chainsaws. From about march 2022. That's NOW... I am so very thankfull I managed to find ANY gas chainsaw makita brand here in Romania. I was trying for about a week,made at least 4 orders and all sales guys call me after some time to tell me there aren't any makita gas chainsaws on stock or made anymore... I even ended up calling Makita Romania and they explained me nicely why I can't find any makita gas chainsaws to buy. The EA6100P I bought was the last one in their whole store(quite a big one)... I wanted so bad an EA7900P but this is all I could find brand new in box original chainsaw. I don't buy used things unless I can personally verify they are worth buying. Got tired of pieces of $hit garbage things sold by crooks.
I found out here on this site that makita made in the past a 90cc gas chainsaw! How cool is that?! Can't remember exactly the product code/name...
P.s. this one is the 90cc makita
  • Makita ZMAK-DCS9010-74 740mm/ 30-inch 90cc 2 Stroke Petrol Chainsaw

Makita doesn't manufacture anymore AT ALL gasoline 2 stroke chainsaws. From about march 2022. That's NOW... I am so very thankfull I managed to find ANY gas chainsaw makita brand here in Romania. I was trying for about a week,made at least 4 orders and all sales guys call me after some time to tell me there aren't any makita gas chainsaws on stock or made anymore... I even ended up calling Makita Romania and they explained me nicely why I can't find any makita gas chainsaws to buy. The EA6100P I bought was the last one in their whole store(quite a big one)... I wanted so bad an EA7900P but this is all I could find brand new in box original chainsaw. I don't buy used things unless I can personally verify they are worth buying. Got tired of pieces of $hit garbage things sold by crooks.
I found out here on this site that makita made in the past a 90cc gas chainsaw! How cool is that?! Can't remember exactly the product code/name...
P.s. this one is the 90cc makita
  • Makita ZMAK-DCS9010-74 740mm/ 30-inch 90cc 2 Stroke Petrol Chainsaw

Thanks for the update - I was under the impression that the 7900 was available and you chose the 6100 instead.
I recently purchased a new EA7900PRZ and have not yet taken it out of the box other then to inspect it.

Currently running MS460, which I may sell as I have a new one sitting and waiting to eat some wood.
Last year I picked up a DCS6401 and have a new OEM 7901 cyl & piston waiting to hop aboard.

I am semi-retired due to a car accident and Lymes so my saws have been also semi- retired the past 7 years.

440 would be a great saw depending on condition. If your considering a new Stihl saw you mite wanna look at the MS400. If your looking for best bang for your buck get a CS-590. 60cc is a good all around saw for general use.

Thanks for the update - I was under the impression that the 7900 was available and you chose the 6100 instead.
I recently purchased a new EA7900PRZ and have not yet taken it out of the box other then to inspect it.

Currently running MS460, which I may sell as I have a new one sitting and waiting to eat some wood.
Last year I picked up a DCS6401 and have a new OEM 7901 cyl & piston waiting to hop aboard.

I am semi-retired due to a car accident and Lymes so my saws have been also semi- retired the past 7 years.
3 saws? One brand new? What can you do with 3 saws? I would only have 2 chainsaws if I would use them daily and depended on them for a living. As is ,I wanted a gas chainsaw for cutting firewood once or twice a year. Wanted a powerfull NEW reliable chainsaw ,a friend telling me to pick Makita . Otherwise I was so close to getting a 3120xp barely used chainsaw! After this year and cutting some firewood I'll make up my mind about a new 3120xp. Or at least get to use one on some thick dry hardwood to make up an impression.

3 saws? One brand new? What can you do with 3 saws? I would only have 2 chainsaws if I would use them daily and depended on them for a living. As is ,I wanted a gas chainsaw for cutting firewood once or twice a year. Wanted a powerfull NEW reliable chainsaw ,a friend telling me to pick Makita . Otherwise I was so close to getting a 3120xp barely used chainsaw! After this year and cutting some firewood I'll make up my mind about a new 3120xp. Or at least get to use one on some thick dry hardwood to make up an impression.
I don’t make a living with a saws but I do earn with one and do a lot of cutting. Can’t have too many useful saws. I’ve got several and they are all workers. I have a lot of respect for a 3120 but it’s not a very useful tool for someone who is fairly new to chainsaws. A 60 or 70cc can take care of some big wood, and if you own a 3120 you’ll soon want something else, maybe 2 more saws. Then you’ll have 2 saws you’ll use and a 3120 to look at.

It's called 'chainsaw addiction' - I had 35 pro saws at one time.

My current stash is MS460 x2 , 7900 x2 , MS361 , MS201T-C , MS261 , CS-590 , CS-501p , CS-361p , CS-2511T x3 , CS-341T , CS-271T , DCS-401 , Poulan PR5020 , CS-3450 and a rear handle MS201

Big mistake when I sold my two SOLO 681's but needed the $

It's called 'chainsaw addiction' - I had 35 pro saws at one time.

My current stash is MS460 x2 , 7900 x2 , MS361 , MS201T-C , MS261 , CS-590 , CS-501p , CS-361p , CS-2511T x3 , CS-341T , CS-271T , DCS-401 , Poulan PR5020 , CS-3450 and a rear handle MS201

Big mistake when I sold my two SOLO 681's but needed the $
35 gas chainsaws?! Damn, I don't have enough place to store that many ,SAFELY 😁 and would be bothered to trip on them every time I walk around the house 😂
Now,since I probably read that right,how are those 2 Makita 7900? Are you satisfied by them? You use them often? Had any problems with them? You made me very curios about them. Since that's the saw I wanted but it's not available anymore,and whatever were available got sold very fast; well ,faster then Stihl or Husqvarna at least !

35 gas chainsaws?! Damn, I don't have enough place to store that many ,SAFELY 😁 and would be bothered to trip on them every time I walk around the house 😂
Now,since I probably read that right,how are those 2 Makita 7900? Are you satisfied by them? You use them often? Had any problems with them? You made me very curios about them. Since that's the saw I wanted but it's not available anymore,and whatever were available got sold very fast; well ,faster then Stihl or Husqvarna at least !

The most badass saw i ever cut with imho = SOLO681
Which is a Dolmar 7900 with a 81cc cylinder and a longer stroke on the crank arm.
Ton of torque and cut speed = handles a 36" bar like a 044 handles a 20"

Can't get them anymore so I recently picked up a 6401 and I have a new OEM 7901 C&P for it.
I also have a new EA7900PRZ in box.

Years ago I had a DCS7901 = smooth and fast - loved it
After that saw I bought a 576xp = smooth and fast as well = great saw

But why stop there - there is no cure for chainsaw power addiction except through poverty or death which any man's wife can bring upon you once she finds out your stash expenditures

That is why I had to sell off half of my offspring, I mean chainsaws.

Makita 6100 cuts great.

If you can get your hands on a 7900 definitely buy one.

Latest posts

Back