Which saw should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most badass saw i ever cut with imho = SOLO681
Which is a Dolmar 7900 with a 81cc cylinder and a longer stroke on the crank arm.
Ton of torque and cut speed = handles a 36" bar like a 044 handles a 20"

Can't get them anymore so I recently picked up a 6401 and I have a new OEM 7901 C&P for it.
I also have a new EA7900PRZ in box.

Years ago I had a DCS7901 = smooth and fast - loved it
After that saw I bought a 576xp = smooth and fast as well = great saw

But why stop there - there is no cure for chainsaw power addiction except through poverty or death which any man's wife can bring upon you once she finds out your stash expenditures

That is why I had to sell off half of my offspring, I mean chainsaws.
Sooo, I should buy a SOLO 681 IF I may want a powerfull chainsaw ,instead of the 3120xp?

Makita 6100 cuts great.

If you can get your hands on a 7900 definitely buy one.
Makita 7900?! Close to impossible here in Romania. I looked for one daily for at least a week. Made 4 orders online for one just to be called by the store manager and told they're not in stock anymore... I got so sick and tired of them that I almost bought a barely used 3120xp online ... But I searched one morning all the stores in the east of the country and found a Makita EA6100P by chance. I was soo happy when the guy called me to tell me they do have one in stock,it's the last one out of all store(a big one too).
Will use it this year and if it's all good I'll try a 3120xp or a Solo 681 (don't have a clue how it even looks...).

Makita 7900?! Close to impossible here in Romania. I looked for one daily for at least a week. Made 4 orders online for one just to be called by the store manager and told they're not in stock anymore... I got so sick and tired of them that I almost bought a barely used 3120xp online ... But I searched one morning all the stores in the east of the country and found a Makita EA6100P by chance. I was soo happy when the guy called me to tell me they do have one in stock,it's the last one out of all store(a big one too).
Will use it this year and if it's all good I'll try a 3120xp or a Solo 681 (don't have a clue how it even looks...).

Stay away from the 3120xp as the powerhead alone weighs 23lbs - that's without a bar & chain on it.
SOLO 681 looks like a Dolmar 7900 as it was made from the 7900 design.
7900 has been in production for many years so parts are available.
Keep a 20" bar on the 6100 and when you find a 7900 you can put either a 24 or 28 on it.
If you are not cutting big wood you can always have a 18 on the 6100 and a 24 on the 7900.
You can also skip the 7900 and buy a Husqvarna 592xp.

Just 2 saws = Makita 6100 and the Husqvarna 592xp or 585
With chainsaws, 3 is Good Company to keep.

If I was limited to 3 it would be MS201 , MS261 and MS461 = I am a Stihl man first.
Husqvarna would be 440 , 562xp and 592xp

Sooo, I should buy a SOLO 681 IF I may want a powerfull chainsaw ,instead of the 3120xp?
I would suggest, yes. Something like that Solo or a 7900 would be way more useful than a 3120. 3120’s are for running huge bars or stumping and milling. A 7900 is a nice saw for doing normal work… but make no mistake, the 3120 is eons more powerful and more capable. It’s just not a saw for running a 2 foot bar, forcing it through logs to work fast. Doesn’t work that way. Like said, it’s a heavy beast.

I would suggest, yes. Something like that Solo or a 7900 would be way more useful than a 3120. 3120’s are for running huge bars or stumping and milling. A 7900 is a nice saw for doing normal work… but make no mistake, the 3120 is eons more powerful and more capable. It’s just not a saw for running a 2 foot bar, forcing it through logs to work fast. Doesn’t work that way. Like said, it’s a heavy beast.
Damn 😁 knew I should of got the new but second hand makita 6401 found on internet... But that guy who sold it changed its mind because one of the 4 chainsaws he owned ,broken down... So it was the new chainsaws turn to "dig in"...
Was thinking: " get the 6401 for "xxx"money ,buy a taiwanese 7900 cylinder and piston set plus a 7900 carburettor, replace the 6401 said parts ,ET VOILA: brand new Makita 7900/6401"thing"... Or even better get a big bore 7900 kit, 85cc stuff and calling Makita Romania: eat your heart out electric bastards,I've built myself a Frankenstein Makita 😂😎
But it never happened...
Guess Makita 6100 is good enough. For now 🙄😁

Latest posts

Back