Which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amusall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just purchased 10 acres of wooded land, 1-2 acres of which I would like to clear in the next two years to make room for a house. After borrowing my dad's jonsered I'm ready to buy my own saw. Can I get your recommendations on engine and bar size as well as brand? In addition to initially clearing the land I plan to cut 4-10 cord a year from this land as well as some others. Thanks
Aaron

Hi all,

I just purchased 10 acres of wooded land, 1-2 acres of which I would like to clear in the next two years to make room for a house. After borrowing my dad's jonsered I'm ready to buy my own saw. Can I get your recommendations on engine and bar size as well as brand? In addition to initially clearing the land I plan to cut 4-10 cord a year from this land as well as some others. Thanks
Aaron

Absolutely, welcome to AS. Whenever I'm cutting an x sized tree, I use a y sized saw with a z length bar.

If you read your post, you really havent given us any real information to help you with. Jeff

Yeah, more info needed.

BTW, do you recall what Jonsered saw you ran? What did you like/dislike about it?

Around here, the best firewood saw is a combo--a good 50cc saw and a 70cc+ saw. It's also good for land clearing. Start with the 50cc model and add the other as needed or funds are available.

Last edited:
Make of saw- what ever your local dealer that you feel comfortable with carries, Husqavarna , Stilh, Dolmar/Makita, or?. Main thing here is that is a professional version not the homeowner/weekend warrior units. (also not a fan of the easy never start systems)
Buy from a dealer- service after the fact, box store isn't going to do squat if a problem develops. Visit the local dealers by your property to get a idea what they are like.

Other than a climbing top handle saw and pole saw shortest bar I use is 18", smallest saw is 45cc, mostly for limbing. Go to units other wise are 64-80 cc units with bars up to 32" long. One of these days I will find a good 100cc plus unit that doesn't cost half a years wages.

Sorry about the lack in info. I am cutting maple, ash, and oak trees. Mostly 4" - 14" diameter. Some as big as 20" diameter but only a few of those.

Last weekend when I went from using the Jonsered to my friends Stihl for just a minute, I did notice the Stihl seemed a bit more comfortable.

Stihl 261 or husky 346xp or husky 550xp with an 18" bar and chain will treat you rightfor anything you have there, and last you the rest of your life with good maintenance. All in the 50cc class.

+1 on that. Both 346XP and 550XP are both excellent saws. I have 15" bar on both.
(How did I manage to add 3 x "both" in one sentence? :msp_w00t: )

Last edited:
the advice from JL is sound .......there are prolly as many suggestions for saws as days of the week lol.......every pro will have his own pref and what he needs it for.

I'd stay clear of the big saws and big bars (even if ya get offered an old one at a decent price) ifn your falling what you say you won't need em.

The biggest I'd suggest would be a husky 372 or 365 the other maybe a 346 (as said) or a 357 even an old 254 .....can't really speak on Stihl as don't really run em.

Buy chaps tho lol......good investment and well we all have lapses in concentration lol

good luck with the clearance just plan it and take it steady and you'll get there

Sorry about the lack in info. I am cutting maple, ash, and oak trees. Mostly 4" - 14" diameter. Some as big as 20" diameter but only a few of those.

Last weekend when I went from using the Jonsered to my friends Stihl for just a minute, I did notice the Stihl seemed a bit more comfortable.

For wood that size you would be very happy with a 346/550 and a 357 will make you feel like you are running a hot saw in a timber show.

Welcome Aaron. What's your budget like? Do you know enogh about cutting to not hurt yourself? How well can you sharpen a chain? Can you fix a saw if it breaks?

Actually, those questions matter more to you than me. If price is not an issue, I'd get an MS362 or a 562xp (Jonsered 2262?) with a 20" lightweight bar. I personally have no use for a 2 saw plan, and agree with Busted that 70cc's would be the maximum you should consider. I also don't much like lil' screamers, but once again, that's just what I like in my hands.

If money is not unlimited, and you don't know how to repair saws, I think the Husky 455 with an 18" would be the ticket.

If you can fix saws your options are pretty much unlimited.

I'd personally probably get a ported 084 with a 42" bar, but there have been suggestions made that I like saws bigger than my ability. From time to time.

Again welcome

Welcome Aaron. What's your budget like? Do you know enogh about cutting to not hurt yourself? How well can you sharpen a chain? Can you fix a saw if it breaks?

Actually, those questions matter more to you than me. If price is not an issue, I'd get an MS362 or a 562xp (Jonsered 2262?) with a 20" lightweight bar. I personally have no use for a 2 saw plan, and agree with Busted that 70cc's would be the maximum you should consider. I also don't much like lil' screamers, but once again, that's just what I like in my hands.

If money is not unlimited, and you don't know how to repair saws, I think the Husky 455 with an 18" would be the ticket.

If you can fix saws your options are pretty much unlimited.

I'd personally probably get a ported 084 with a 42" bar, but there have been suggestions made that I like saws bigger than my ability. From time to time.

Again welcome

I really do think that Freudian principles apply with you lol well as far as saws concerned lol

I like big OLD mac saws, but bought a pouland pro 50cc saw with a 20 inch bar to deal with damage from a storm that caught me while away from home with no tools. It has been a really good saw (once I put a good chain on it) I use it a lot for smaller stuff like you are talking about. I think it is the only new saw I have ever bought in more than 50 years of tree work!

Oh yeah, I drilled a few small holes in the muff, also.

I know the big name saw companies make most of their money selling "pro" saws to occasional users and most would never wear out the cheapest saw made.

Last edited:
Back