Which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

woodchucky

Almost have the means to buy a new saw. Can't decide between ms362, 562xp or ps6100. Don't want to start a piss ing match but the Dolmar is by far the best bang for my buck- kind of leaning toward that saw. Could some owners weigh in? Don't know how I feel about owning a saw with a primer bulb⁉

All those would serve you well. I really like the Dolmar for bank-for-your-buck, as well.

I agree with what a lot of people have said on similar threads. It pays off to have a dealer close by, for warranty work, parts, service. Enjoy shopping :) I'm sure they will all treat you great

for power to weight ratio the 562xp will impress you the most but as u stated 6100 are very nice saws as well .

Don't underestimate the importance of dealer support.
If you have any problems, a good dealer can be the difference between a minor inconvenience and a giant pain in the ass.

I always wanted to try a Dolmar but where I live there is 0 dealer support. A Dolmar dealer here is a sign on a pole barn that says he can order one but has very limited in stock and I suspect no parts as well. Other than that I like my MS362RCM

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
Lincoln IdealArc 250

I don't know why the primer bulb is an issue.
Alot of (all?) 346xp's came with primer bulbs. Pro saw through and through, guys here love them.
Husqvarna 3120xp came with a primer bulb at one point too. Yeah, the big boy had a primer bulb.
Wouldn't let that factor sway your decision.
How much to step up to a 6400?
If dealer support isn't an issue, what about the CS590 Echo? I'm sure that's cheaper.

I vote the 562xp. I've have ran the dolmar and didn't like it. Also had the non mtronic 362 and I'll pass on that by far the 562xp I have know I like the most. They are very smooth to operate. MM them and you have a heck of a saw.

The only regret on my 562, is not spending a few extra dollars for a full wrap handle, solid saw, smooth once you get a few tanks run through it

Unless you have either (a) no pressing need to use the saw or (b) a full-service, parts-in-stock local dealer, I'd skip the Dolmar. Dolmar makes great saws, but having to order your parts on the interwebs is annoying. And honestly, things break, even on well-made saws. They break on Saturday mornings sometimes, too, and where are you going to get parts for your Dolmar on a Saturday?

I'm down to two Dolmars for that very reason - one red-top 7900 and a 6400 -> 7900 project that is still in a box. All my other work saws are Husqvarna, and I have two of each to avoid downtime risks. There are a couple Stihls and a Tanaka, too, but they are not the saws I rely on for actual work.

A couple posts suggested bigger saws at a similar price point - 365, 6400, etc. - and that might be an option from a cost standpoint, though they are certainly bigger/heavier than the 562/362 options. And as ST would point out, weight/bulk/balance, that stuff is a real consideration for many of us.

Of the three saws you mentioned, the 562 seems to have the edge (though I have no runtime on it, so my info is anecdotal). The 362 is a fine saw, but a bit underwhelming, just as the 361 was underwhelming in stock form.

Latest posts

Back