Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Husky 51

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Husky 350

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Stihl ms 290

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Husky 455 rancher

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
Dont ever think that, there is a wealth of knowledge out there and its easily accessible, especially on this site, i think people just in general tend to be scared of working on saws but once you get a good understanding of them and how they work, it can be a lot of fun.

Everyone on here from the novice to the advanced saw porters had to learn and start somewhere. If you find you like working on saws i can almost guarantee you will get good at it.

Either the 51 or 455 husky. I’d say the 460 husky but it’s more expensive. My sons new 460 cost me $399. Free ship and $100 gift card at amazon. The 460 with a 18” bar you can do anything.

Dont ever think that, there is a wealth of knowledge out there and its easily accessible, especially on this site, i think people just in general tend to be scared of working on saws but once you get a good understanding of them and how they work, it can be a lot of fun.
Thank you. I am definitely willing to try. This site is very positive and I appreciate it.

i was fixing my rupp go kart with the Clinton two cycle 2.5 ho when I was just 8yo.
Have to start somewhere.

Husky 460 is a spendy boat anchor, but it's the best one to pull 24". Husky 51 is a hunk, but not very easy on the user. 350 and 290 can both be upgraded to be really good saws, but lack a lot in stock form. 034 is in the same category but bigger.

Personally, none of those saws are something I would want. Get the one that starts and runs perfectly. Get your wood cut, save your money, then buy a better saw.

Or 10.

Yup. Put the muffler support and a 346 jug on a 350 and it's a lot more fun. A heat deflector under the muffler is a good idea too. The 290 upgrades deliver more power, but cost more and the saw isn't as ergonomic.

Yup. Put the muffler support and a 346 jug on a 350 and it's a lot more fun. A heat deflector under the muffler is a good idea too. The 290 upgrades deliver more power, but cost more and the saw isn't as ergonomic.
I've been messing with the 45mm jugs. Same as a 353 if you add a piston. Pretty easy to get stock 346 level performance for under $100 and some time.

350 muffler bolt fix. So cheap, so easy. No reason to bring that issue up anymore IMO...
View attachment 720428
I never thought about sawing off that right leg and shaping the support to fit the 350. There is no place to bolt that leg on (like there is on the 353), but I guess it's unnecessary. Thanks for the Pic!

Latest posts

Back